Your ways to stop tilting?

• TiltDevil
      TiltDevil
      Bronze
      Hey guys, i'm new to the site and i have a terrible problem with tilts it's not that i tilt easily but when i do most of the times all of my bankroll will be lost due to some very poor judgement...
      So i thought these guys are all my seniors in poker they probably know how to handle very severe cases of tilt.
  • 13 replies
    • ZapOut
      ZapOut
      Bronze
      Just stop tilting. Dont waste your time on negative energy. You wont achieve anything good with it.
      You have to get used to bad beats and suck-outs. These things are happening. Not only in poker, same goes in real life. This is reality, so say hello. You cant avoid it, turn around, go to next corner or simply run away.
      This is mother earth doing her job, by sending you those feelings. You have to feel them. It is a gift. The more you got them, the more your body/mind will fight against it. By the time, you will be strong enough to not get any of those feelings again. Until... until something much much bigger again will happen, and then again, it wont kill you. It will hurt you. Pain is temporary, quitting is forever. You must fight for it. You have to fight for so long, until you gonna become totally immune. The road is tough, nothing is never easy. But the reward is heaven.
      So, just stay strong my friend. You know yourself better than any of us here. Only you can help yourself in the way the best you know and can. You have to adapt circumstances in the way they are. Dont make and do things that make you upset. If you have anything negative going on, or just simply dont like it, ask yourself, what is the reason behind it ? And how can i fix it ? There is always way out ! Way to to the joy. We make our heaven and hell. So choose wisely.
      There is 2 good sides in gambling. Winning and Losing. Winning KEEPS you STRONG, but Losing MAKES you STRONGER.
    • dooleslovs
      dooleslovs
      Platinum
      There are couple books written how to stop tilting, but its not easy, and to finally achieve such zen state of mind without tilt takes alot of time effort and energy. You can start from proper bankroll managment, and stop looking to cashier.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Advice number one: don't create screen names with the word 'tilt' in them.
      Advice number two: accept the fact that in poker you cannot win every hand.
      Advice number three: bad beats happen, no matter how ridiculous they may be but they happen. I have lost with quads vs runner runner quads and that is normal.
      Advice number four: you can't have 100% equity preflop, if your aces got cracked so what? Move on to the next hand.
      Advice number five: read previous points stated. period.
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Freerolls or low buyin freezeouts (they are called freezeout for a reason). Reminds you that you have to grind things like that again, if you cripple your roll. Also you can cheaply make the tilt shoves or hero calls or w/e you prefer.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      Advice number one: don't create screen names with the word 'tilt' in them.
      Advice number two: accept the fact that in poker you cannot win every hand.
      Advice number three: bad beats happen, no matter how ridiculous they may be but they happen. I have lost with quads vs runner runner quads and that is normal.
      Advice number four: you can't have 100% equity preflop, if your aces got cracked so what? Move on to the next hand.
      Advice number five: read previous points stated. period.
      This pretty much sums it up. It would be a pretty easy (and pointless) game if these things weren't true.

The struggle a lot of people have, is that even though they know these things make sense logically, they can't find a way to really and truly accept it. If you are serious about working on removing tilt from your game, saving your bankroll, and becoming a better player - I can't recommend Jared Tendler's - The Mental Game of Poker enough.

Good luck.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Just one advice, not only for poker, but for life:

1. Don't be upset about thing you can't control. Just wake up everyday, and make each day your masterpiece.

:f_pleased:
    • AmorPL
      AmorPL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ZapOut
      Just stop tilting.
      It's like saying: Just play well. It's not that easy as it sounds. I would recommend you to buy Jared Tendler's book "The mental game of poker". There is a lot of good advices, and you can learn a lot from this book. Also there is a lot of free stuff on youtube. And obviously hard work. You should consistently work on your mental game
    • SWScuracao
      SWScuracao
      Bronze
      I literally went to the bookstore today to order jared tendler's book- mentalgameofpoker2 :f_drink:
    • DarkoK3
      DarkoK3
      Bronze
      The Mental Game of Poker 1 and 2 are the best way to minimize tilt problems, go buy them or download from the internet and you will realize how complex tilt realy is and how much work it demands to be beaten. Do not take it likely and think it can be solved in 2 days.
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      I had a huge tilt problem. I bought the book Mental game of poker and have been working through that book. It not a book you read once and your fixed. THe book is filled with all type of exercises that must be done for improvement to happen. I have never had a positive green line in my life because of mental game problems and I now have a a win rate of 15/bb over 20 000 sample since working through the book(NL2 haha). If you read the tilt section in the strategy section on poker strategies it is from the book The Mental game of Poker
      f
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      a simple but effective method for calming yourself down, take long deep breaths. dont knock it until you've tried it, it really does work.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by badgerer
      a simple but effective method for calming yourself down, take long deep breaths. dont knock it until you've tried it, it really does work.
      Long breaths really work out.

+1 on this tip. Goes for everything in life.
    • seacat22
      seacat22
      Silver
      stop playing go for a walk and remember you have no control over the cards dealt and you are owed
      nothing