One Step Closer :: Zoom SH

• IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Hey guys,

I'm 20 years old and I'm currently in the second year of college (computer science stuff) and planning to drop out (not definitively, but at least a year) by July 2015 for playing full time poker. Right now I'm playing zoom sh, 5NL... Already tried 10NL but didn't work too well so.. yeah, building bankroll for a new shot and keep learning about this random card game or whatever :D

Since i wrote a post yesterday on my blog on portuguese community (yup, that country, double2 country ahah) just to don't start from scratch I'm going translate that to this blog down here. I'm gonna try to maintain some dynamic here, not just translating my portuguese posts and simple shut down. That's not even close to fun. The main purpose of this blog is improve my english skill (please tell me if I make some mistakes or don't use the correct expressions, that kind of stuff). I think I write ok, I understand ok but meh... I'm not fluent at this. Practice is the way :)

Recently I started to improve my productivity and one of the new year resolutions, "so to speak", (this doesn't sound good, is this ok? ahah) besides training my english was start reading more. Read what? Traditional books about stories and something makes bored. Sincerely I prefer the movies for those. So I'm reading about "me". About humans. Start reading The brain that changes itself by Norman Doidge and the next one is going to be Thinking, Fast and Slow.

And how about sleep?
      This may sound like a completely different topic but is still related to main goal, productivity increase.
      Lately I've been kind of forced to sleep about 4h to 5h (get up early in the morning and some difficult on fall a sleep at proper hours) and that makes me fall a sleep too soon in the next day. This led me to think about adopt the Polyphasic Sleep practice. I know I don't exercise much, at least for someone who played football from 8 to 17 (more a less) and that affects sleep cycles also.
      But, in another way I think that polyphasic sleep might be good for me. I like to stay up at night (extra read: maker's schedule, manager's schedule). So I think that sleep from 3 am to 8 am and take a nap between 6pm and 8pm might be the best of both worlds.
      What are you thoughts about this?

Meh... First post it's done. Hopefully more to come :D
  • 16 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi luritPena and good luck with the English community blog!

Your English is pretty good. I'm not too sure about polyphasic sleep (I don't know much about it). I do know from personal experience that it is absolutely essential to have regular restful sleep to help maintain/improve memory recall, focus and concentration, stress levels and mood.

Good luck with your blogging!
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Yeah, I'm not too sure either ahah
      Bbut of course, i agree with everything that you said. That's why I'd like to "kill" this topic for good so I don't have to worry about it anymore and just have to maintain the actual routine. The hard part is this one, create that routine :f_mad:

More poker related... Today I put a post it on my screen:
      Fish NL5 / NL10
      - bet for value
      - calling station

I'm losing tons of money to this guys mainly because I'm being a bit station when they 3 barrel ou x/r... They just don't have the amount of blufs they should had. Must keep that in mind... Besides that, they call pretty loose. I can easly 3 barrel for value a hand that I probably shouldn't in the limits above, it's not close I think... They show up with so much trashy hands in the showdown, god. I'm a kind of disappointed with myself. Seeing those fishy plays and losing money to the player who makes them. I must adapt to that, and do it fast.

I'm in the middle of my exams from college... Promise that when exams end I'll start posting some hands and maybe even graphs :)
    • I3ryI3e
      I3ryI3e
      Bronze
      I'll follow just like i follow the other one =) I think it's a great decision on your part to open this blog, you get more knowledge and u practice English what could be better? =)

I think i spot two mistakes first - "They just don't have the amount of blufs they should be"
      I think you meant " They just don't have the amount of bluffs they should HAD"

The other mistake you just forgot about a negative " value a hand that I probably should in the limits above" SHOULDN'T =)

I'm trying to help, in case i'm wrong please correct me, i'm not a native speaker.

Good luck Iuri, keep posting =)
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Thanks brybe :D

Yeah, you are right, i think ahah
      first miskate - meh, lack of practice
      the second one - ahah... distraction i guess. even in portuguese that happens.
      Already edited the post to correct them :)
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Why work doesn't happen at work?

- Where do you play poker?
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Zoom Nl16, is this new or am i blind? :|

• IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold

Damn :f_confused:

First session after some time away from the tables... This month i've something like 12k hands.
      I think I can reach the 20k or 30k by the end of the month. This week i should know some grades of this semester classes and that will gave some space (or not). At least I'll have something concrete to work with
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Hey, welcome to blogs!

How is your whole month going? I can see from that last graph that you have lost some money on showdowns.

Btw. as Finnish I like your avatar. ;)

Gl!
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      Hi, thanks ! :f_drink:

January looks like shit, really
      Start small, go big :f_biggrin:

I moved down to 5NL this January since things at 10NL went bad and still, loosing in 5NL, bah :f_mad:
      They hit every single time. 5 days... I just want wait this week to know what I'm going to do with my life. Right know I've to slow down. Too much overthinking going on.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Good to see you are willing to move down when you need to - some people let pride get in the way and it hurts them. It sounds like you've got a lot on your mind, and sometimes that can have an impact on you at the tables. I know it does for me, unless I really take care in my warm-up to remind myself to forget about about things off the tables for a bit and just focus on playing well. It sounds silly, but that little chat with myself before sitting down really does force me to focus and play better.

Best of luck to you!
    • Anomic
      Anomic
      Bronze
      Zoom Nl16, is this new or am i blind?
      I heard somewhere that nl16 is very soft, less regulars because HUDs don't work. Should be good to play if you're ok with that.
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      yeah, thanks guys ! :f_drink:

My warm up is suppose to be a ~10min warm up but most of the times I really don't go trough the routine. Nice one, think this can be my goal for the week ! :f_cool:
      I've a session's diary to write how I felt during the session... Before the session the warm up should be something like wash my face and hands, write down the goals for the session (mental and technical - 2 each max) then write down some other thoughts (things that I've to do or think about) to clear my head and 5 minutes of mindfullness with the goals in my mind.

While at 10NL I already had the 35 BIs to take the shot at 16NL but guess what, 16NL didn't run ahah
      But yeah, when I reach 35 BIs I'm going to take a shot at 10NL and then 16NL ASAP... And 25NL, and so on :D
    • I3ryI3e
      I3ryI3e
      Bronze
      I always like how you are so organised with your stuff, keep going and keep the hard work, you'll get there eventually =)

Now let's correct some English mistakes :

1 - "I've a session's diary to right how I felt during the session." write =/= right .
      2- " than write down some other " than =/= then

=) Go you!
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      ahahah, the first one make me laugh :facepalm:

Thanks Brybe :f_thumbsup:
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold

Mindset almost perfect :)

This was a 100 min session. Usually my sesions last 45-70min. I'm trying to play 70 or 100 now. This way the breaks will be much shorter or even nonexistent and that will give me some extra time during the day :)

About doing 20k ou 30k hands this month... That's not going to be a goal anymore. Probably I'll make around (is "around" ok? or I should use about all the time? xD ) 20k but it isn't the goal. Today I've 14k and the afternoon it will be spent with my gf. She deserves it too :f_cool:
    • IuriTPena
      IuriTPena
      Gold
      My mom is a teacher. Told her to put this TED Talk playing at the teachers room :f_cool: