Nitfish diaries

• HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Hey PS community,

First let me introduce this sorry excuse of a blog, so you can see if you are interested, and if you arent bored to death already, i will also introduce myself.
      Keep in mind that the bankroll challenge thread made me do this, they are responsible for any brain damage caused here.

What you can expect here:

- The story of my mind blowing 120$ free PS - Netbet bankroll
      - Serious nosebleed limits of NL4-NL10
      - Questionable plays, bad moves, funny hands or hands that just dont make any sense, and you are encouraged to criticise me, maybe i will learn someday.
      - Bad engrish

What you cant expect here:

-Amazing plays, good bluffs, stuff like that. ( for gods sake its nl4, look the title for hints)
      -QQ about two outers or that horrible bad beat that hurt my feelings. ( bad beats are like opinions, or smelly armpits, everyone has one but nobody is interested in somebody elses)
      -The spanish inquisition

At the end of tomorrows session i hopefully start this thing up.

About me ( why would you even care? go read something interesting! go! shoo!) :why:

My name is Milan, i am 30 year old hungarian professional nosepicker ( read as: unemployed), currently living off my reserves.
      I am a complete nerd, you can imagine my hobbies (but you dont want to).
      I play poker for a long while now and i am at nl4 you can imagine my intellectual qualities. If nothing else, hopefully this blog will make you feel a lot better about yourself in comparison.

• 26 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Milan,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I am still rolling on the floor. :mdr: Epic first post and wonderful sense of humour. I have never actually thought of myself as a professional nose picker.

Looking forward to some seriously entertaining posts.

Good Luck :gl:

Laz
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      I'm thinking this is one to follow! Good luck to you Milan!
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Day one:
      Fortunately our story starts on friday, you know fridays, it feels like that the zombie apocalypse is finally upon us.
      But the zombies, instead of going to chase ppl to eat some brains, all sit down to play NL4 at ipoker.
      Silly zombies, you cant find brains at NL4

To describe fridays in one picture (viewer discretion is advised):

Our standard gameplan:

We play horribly nitty and wait for players even worse than us, or to cooler guys after questionable calls.

The plan is in motion:

IPoker, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $12.44 (311 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.29 (132.3 bb)
      UTG: $5.26 (131.5 bb)
      MP: $2.95 (73.8 bb)
      CO: $1.69 (42.3 bb)
      BTN: $8.32 (208 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.04, CO folds, BTN calls $0.04, SB raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.16, MP calls $0.16, BTN calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.80) 7 Q 6 (4 players)
      SB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80, MP folds, BTN calls $0.80

Turn: ($3.20) K (3 players)
      SB bets $2.24, Hero raises to $4.29 and is all-in, BTN folds, SB calls $2.05

River: ($11.78) 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $11.78 pot ($0.78 rake)
      Final Board: 7 Q 6 K 2
      SB showed A A and lost (-$5.29 net)
      Hero mucked K K and won $11 ($5.71 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$1 net)

Villain is even nittier than me, it was waaaay over 50% that i am behind on flopp, i could only beat the AQ that might make him open potsize.
      Do i get - points for forgetting to yell bingo on the turn?
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This hand is from the morning session, i couldnt find enough retardness in todays first nightly session:

SB: $3.69 (92.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $3.74 (93.5 bb)
      UTG: $3.59 (89.8 bb)
      MP: $5.45 (136.3 bb)
      CO: $3.47 (86.8 bb)
      BTN: $4.64 (116 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T J
      UTG raises to $0.12, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.12, SB folds, Hero calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.38) 3 T 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, BTN bets $0.26, Hero calls $0.26, UTG folds

Turn: ($0.90) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.63, Hero calls $0.63

River: ($2.16) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.51, BTN calls $1.51

Results:
      $5.18 pot ($0.34 rake)
      Final Board: 3 T 4 5 2
      Hero mucked T J and lost (-$2.52 net)
      BTN showed Q 8 and won $4.84 ($2.32 net)

So after the regulars finished pukeing, lets get to the real questions about this hand: Is it possible to play this any worse than i did? Should my mother have gotten an abortion?

On the + side, i got my first friend on ipoker, Villain sent me a friend list request, i wonder if he likes my new haircut, or just respects my play so much... Silly russian, you have to work harder for my free chips next time

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let me explain a bit about poker karma, the story of this hand:

The guy whos aces i coolered was the button in this hand. Unlike most nl4 ppl he was calm about it and said "its poker". So here i fold on the flopp only cos of him, i really didnt want to smack him twice. Normally double gutter is just too sneaky to let go, even if 1/4th of my outs are scary.

Hero (SB): $10.94 (273.5 bb)
      BB: $5.32 (133 bb)
      UTG: $2.90 (72.5 bb)
      MP: $1.72 (43 bb)
      CO: $7.28 (182 bb)
      BTN: $6.98 (174.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T 8
      UTG raises to $0.08, MP calls $0.08, CO folds, BTN calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.06, BB folds

Flop: ($0.36) 6 7 4 (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.04, MP calls $0.04, BTN raises to $0.36, Hero folds, UTG raises to $0.68, MP folds, BTN calls $0.32

Turn: ($1.76) 9 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.04, BTN calls $0.04

River: ($1.84) 6 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.04, BTN calls $0.04

Results:
      $1.92 pot ($0.12 rake)
      Final Board: 6 7 4 9 6
      UTG showed 6 6 and won $1.80 ($0.96 net)
      BTN showed 3 7 and lost (-$0.84 net)
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      He HNRoger,

how are you doing? GL and nice to have you in our little challenge!
      We are trying to give a weekly or at least bi-weekly update of everyones challenge. Just to make sure we include you - don't forget to post your update in our Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread thread, it's due every Monday! For this week you may skip - simply because you just started on friday!

Btw, the hand with JTs - i am not sure for the river. What are you exactly betting against? Which worse hand will call you that called a preflop raise and bet 2 streets. And on those stakes we probably do not yet have to think about turning TP into a bluff.
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SvenBe

Btw, the hand with JTs - i am not sure for the river. What are you exactly betting against? Which worse hand will call you that called a preflop raise and bet 2 streets. And on those stakes we probably do not yet have to think about turning TP into a bluff.
      Hey, thanks for mentioning, i didnt know about the reporting thread. I didnt update my thread here since i just started to use HeM and analising my plays, i didnt have the spare time to collect the stupidest hands of NL4.

About that hand: well it was just momentary insanity, i was thinking on the river like "now the only way to win this pot, if i can make him fold a 10". Which would be a decent idea if i am in position and he checked to me, but plain retardness like this :D
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      He I saw you won the freeroll for your birthday - gratz!How much did it contribute to your weekly win? My math skills say me it must be roughly 120$?

Greetings,SvenBe
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Yup, should be around that number, bit hard to keep track on cos HM2s currency conversion is a complete mess.

The full story of my bankroll so far, started to play at January 2nd:

Deposits total: 50$ (that weekly depositor freeroll is pure win)
      Free cash: 20$ from PS, 25$ from Netbet
      Freeroll cashes: 2,5 euro twice on the 25k (one does not simply win flips), 108 euro from the bday freeroll.
      NL4: Rest of the profits, should be around 55$
      Current BR: 281,10$

As for the new challenge thread my three new goals are:

1: Reach and maintain gold status at PS, even if i have to play at this horrible rake machine called ipoker.
      2: Learn and setup HeM2 enough that it will give me considerable benefits, so far it only helped to change my play in a few hands.
      3: Do more physhical excercise, people arent joking when they say its a huge +EV at poker too, i know it by experience.
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Sounds like you are solidly rolling it up.
      I expect you at the highstakes tables in roughly one month,k?
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SvenBe
      Sounds like you are solidly rolling it up.
      I expect you at the highstakes tables in roughly one month,k?
      Of course, i will also buy in to the next one drop. But seriously i have more leaks than the titanic on diarrhea, i have to get PS gold first and study a lot, the new Weasel series look very promising in regard of fixing my mistakes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2-4:

I couldnt play my usual NL4 too much on the weekend, saturday was a lazy day for me, and sundays i decided to chill a bit after the freerolls. Read as: i was too drunk at the weekend.

Flipped out of the 25k, with decent stack, only min cashed.
      On the other freeroll with 200 entrants, i was on a heater, my hands were holding up, the right play at the right time kept working, i felt like its my birthday......wait a second.......it was actually my birthday......that explains everything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Monday NL4:

Mr. Variance had to remind me that people hate mondays for a reason. I never thought its possible to run like $30 under EV in a few hours of NL4. All in EV doesnt even start to describe how this day was going. For example:

If a guy 3 bets your raises like 80% of the time, he 3 bets you in this hand, fish out of position flats to bloat the pot, and you happen to hold KK......
      I did the calculations, arranged his deranged ranges, and my exact EV there is: "yay cookies"
      And not EV: "really? really, you sun of a beach, now you have aces?"

I promised i wont post bad beat hand histories but i must really post this one:

Good practice for experienced players:

In this hand we openraise and get 3 bet, let us try to put both villains on hand ranges, keep in mind we are dealing with an UTG limp / flatcall 3 bet here.

Let us narrow down his range based on the betting and bet sizing as the play goes. Before we check showdown, try to put villain on an exact hand.

SB: $4.69 (117.3 bb)
      BB: $3.69 (92.3 bb)
      UTG: $3.52 (88 bb)
      MP: $4 (100 bb)
      Hero (CO): $4.39 (109.7 bb)
      BTN: $5.07 (126.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7 7
      UTG calls $0.04, MP folds, Hero raises to $0.16, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.54, UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.38

Flop: ($1.64) 2 9 3 (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12, BB folds

Turn: ($1.88) 6 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.32, UTG calls $0.24

River: ($2.52) Q (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

Results:
      $2.84 pot ($0.18 rake)
      Final Board: 2 9 3 6 Q
      UTG showed 3 2 and won $2.66 ($1.52 net)
      Hero mucked 7 7 and lost (-$1.14 net)

Those who guessed it, yes, the correct answer was indeed:
      :spit:

The other correct answer is:
      What the duck is this? I cant even potato, what are you doing to my brain?
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Day 5, the day of karma:

Today i helped my father to solve some mathematical / algorythmic problem! ( pure nerd stuff, you dont want the details). So in return i got rewarded by instant karma, balancing that horrible -EV i ran with yesterday.

This is how fish on a heater looks like :profit: :

I tested the waters for a fellow PS members who struggles on NL5 zoom and i can see why, i have seen softer NL25 fields compared to that. Lots of 3 betting and weird stuff going on there. But apparently after half an hour i figured the differences compared to NL4 and made steady climbing there too.

The hand where i hit a two outer, did i really play this horribly? I mean 80% of the time i have KQ+ on that spot.
      Is the line i made legit, or should i have folded preflopp even? :pcuser:
      Is it a wrong assumption to almost eliminate the Q out of his range when he bets therainbow board of qq9?

IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $4.93 (98.6 bb)
      BB: $5.03 (100.6 bb)
      UTG: $2 (40 bb)
      MP: $3.17 (63.4 bb)
      CO: $8.55 (171 bb)
      BTN: $3.19 (63.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T 9
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB raises to $0.45, Hero calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.90) Q Q 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.10) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.10, Hero raises to $2.45, BB raises to $3.98 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.43 and is all-in

River: ($9.86) 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $9.86 pot ($0.65 rake)
      Final Board: Q Q 9 J 9
      Hero mucked T 9 and won $9.21 ($4.28 net)
      BB showed T T and lost (-$4.93 net)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yo sir you're overthinking things too much. i played 40/36 on nl5 and i didn't run these bluffs
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      yo sir you're overthinking things too much. i played 40/36 on nl5 and i didn't run these bluffs
      How dare you say that? NL5 is serious business! One day we micro midgets will rise and go up to your limits! Than we .....donk our stack to you .... and go back to grind micro with a sadface :ayfkm:

But seriously i really feel like i need to improve and expand my plays if i ever want to be able to grind nl25+
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i mean, there's no reason to believe that BB is weak here, and trying to make people fold overpairs usually is burning money, and Qx shouldn't be discounted either.
      you have enough sdv to beat AK and some other random garbage, if you are behind you have an oesd which should be live. bluff people when they are weak, not when they are strong :f_eek:
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Dear god, as a georgian friend of mine used to say "this week wasnt my day".

Not going well so far, not well at all, on wednesday i got the sickest doomswitch i ever saw since i play poker. Lost with my 80%s and with my other monsters i run into bigger monsters, whenever somone decided to float me with K or J high, they always got there. I made some awfull tiltcalls too on the way. I am probably still semi tilting.

I should be at gold status when my next tracked points arrive, i probably need to get into some serious studying about huds.

My biggest edge on normal tables is that i developed a sense for the game flow and playstiles (years of playing without a hud) and can feel the spots where ppl tend to try to make moves, also once ppl get my normal tight image, i abuse that to the maximum without breaking it. But these things are useless in a speed game.

Still up like 20$ for the week, so not all is lost, but i am sad now :(
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Up a bit last few days too, i am starting to realise that i should play even less out of position, apparently my out of position play is quite bad, on the other hand, the thing i do from small blind seems to be working quite well.
      I certainly need to raise a lot more flopps OOP when i think i am ahead.

My sessions look like this lately, getting some coolers and bad setups, but my red line keeps me going up now, started to 4 bet lighter, against ppl who 3bet lighter, hopefully i am improving on that too:

• HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Sorry was lazy with the updates lately ( if anyone is still reading this) :coolface:

I finally decided to move over to pokerstars but its probably not the right time when i have real life problems and i am tilting easily. :why:

Checked around at micros, was crushing with like 50bb / 100 on a heater, than lost back most of it to a tilt next day. I never moved to stars since i figured the field there must be tougher since all the grinders are migrating there eventually.

I mean what the heck, this hand shouldnt happen in nl2, you can probably figure the thought process of BU and BB, but the timing wasnt exactly perfect. It was probably a mistake to raise the flopp.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $1.98 (99 bb)
      BB: $10.83 (541.5 bb)
      UTG: $2.30 (115 bb)
      MP: $2.16 (108 bb)
      Hero (CO): $4.26 (213 bb)
      BTN: $4.61 (230.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.12, BTN raises to $0.32, SB folds, BB raises to $0.65, MP folds, Hero calls $0.53, BTN folds

Flop: ($1.67) 3 9 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.43, Hero raises to $1.38, BB folds

Results:
      $2.53 pot ($0.09 rake)
      Final Board: 3 9 5
      BB mucked and lost (-$1.08 net)
      Hero mucked A A and won $2.44 ($1.36 net)

So thanks to my tiltyness i am up like $0,50 there in my first two days of play.
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      January update:

Cash results:

Tourney results:
      up like 220$ on freerolls and sngs

I still suck at poker apparently, i had two tilty times in the month, the first after some bad variance was really ugly, and you can notice the cash graph is linear on the end cos i swapped back to abc poker to avoid another tilt. I am not sure if i should play zoom, apparently my roi is a lot better on regular tables.

Had quite busy days lately, couldnt update my progress, or to take time to get interesting hands that worth veiwing not just reviewing.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      That`s still nice result before RB.

Have you took any time to work with mental game? How easily you usually tilt?
    • HNRoger
      HNRoger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      That`s still nice result before RB.

Have you took any time to work with mental game? How easily you usually tilt?
      Problem is that i am clinically insane (not joking), so it comes a loooot easier than for normal people :D
      Paranoia can be helpful sometimes, but not when i am retarded enough to think everyone is just trying to make a move.

Sorry for the lack of updates, i took the week off, only playing some small sngs and such. Got in contact with an age old canadian friend of mine, might get him as mtt coach, while i am trying to work a deal out for cash game coaching also.