Fish on a heater - How to spew money across 24 tables.

• nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Introduction.
      Hi guys, my name is Jônatas Aimbiré, I'm 28 years old, Brazillian and I'm a huge poker fish coming back to grinding online.

I live in a very beautiful island on the south portion of the country, and also run a writing blog, — written in Brazillian Portuguese, and not poker related — where I created the hobby for myself to post random novels, short romances and a few personal reflections about personal life in general, so yeah, I enjoy writing very much.

I'm a Bachelor of Science graduate in Information Systems, and have worked in the field for over a decade, although I consider myself a newly retired person from that area, returning to the academic life aspiring to become a Civil Engineer and University Professor, as I'm a nerd who happens to also love people, and sharing with them any knowledge I may have.

This is myself, alongside the Professor who made me see life in a whole different angle.
      Also it was before I decided to grow a weird beard

Nowadays I'm living a pretty decent life in the three most important aspect that I could think of, that being: Mentally; Emotionally, and Physically. I tend to see life always in the positive way, and that these three areas need to be worked out in the most perfect shape you could get out of it. Since I've been blessed to only have BPD, I know what of those aspects would need a larger investment of my time to work on.

About Poker, and the reasons for coming back to online.
      I've been playing for a few years now, and eventually went on a break from poker for work purposes, did keep playing the game, but only for the matters of recreation. As my history of poker goes I did ok in Sit N' Goes back in the day pre-black friday, — sure miss does old times getting SP at FTP — and eventually transitioned to 6max cash games with the help of my forever poker coach vonki.

I've decided to come back to grinding online, — as reasons I'll explain later — and mixed both things I've feel I'm good at. 6max tables, tournaments and quick action. As far as live results go I still crush cash games against regulars at my home town, and I don't call them regulars because they know how to play the game very well, some might just do, but because they love to ship me their cash.

Because I've quit my job and got back at the academic life of studying hard, partying more than ever, and no time to work in the process, I've though to give Poker a shot again to at least make me a little bit of extra cash, might just start as low as $1 a month to feel happy about it, but a profit is a profit. The reason to create this blog is to maintain myself motivated to play the game, and share a couple of spots to discuss it.

Current Goals for January - Last updated on January 21st
      - Play at least 8k hands daily at NL2.
      - Everyday review at least 10 hands from forums and/or my own.
      - Reread King Lear from Shakespeare.
      - Do a 30k run.
      - Invite some friends to a barbecue at my home.
      - Reread "The Poker Blueprint"

Any tips would be well received, and appreciated, so feel free to talk to me about anything at all, as I will try to make this blog not only about poker, so wish me luck boys and girls, and thanks for your time.
  • 23 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Good luck Jônatas with poker, academics and partying hard!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      Good luck Jônatas with poker, academics and partying hard!
      Thank you sir. So far it has been going great in that manner.
      So a little update on how far things have been going, in the poker area. Increasing in small amounts the volume of tables I've been playing at the same time in order to get used to the format. — I'm aware of the variance of it, but thought this was the best strategy instead of just jumping directly into max volume.

I can say that the blog title is working at this moment. I'm not sure what to expect on the ROI for this format as I haven't looked too much into that detail, did watch a bunch of videos from Strategy — not only on hypers exclusively — but so far been into an ~15% for a minor sample of about 188 tournaments. Although my heads-up has been very good so far, — doing 24%/13% of finishes — I've found a few spots I should improve ICM wise, so I'll be working on that during this week.

Let's see if the heat goes up, and feel free to ask anything you would like, whether it is poker related or not.

Thanks for your time.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      I've updated the first post; included a little bit more about myself; set what are the starting goals of my blog, and added an awesome link to marvelous beaches and girls in bikini.

Thanks for your time.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Yey nathan is back :f_love:

6m hyper turbos... Oh yey. Hold on to your hat!!!

Def following!! :) Do you still use skype? If so hit me up, would be nice chatting with you again :f_love:
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      Yey nathan is back :f_love:

6m hyper turbos... Oh yey. Hold on to your hat!!!

Def following!! :) Do you still use skype? If so hit me up, would be nice chatting with you again :f_love:
      Yea they are a thrill, making a good enough volume of VPPs that will surely put me on Goldstar, so yea, that's nice I guess.

I still have you there, but on a Mac Skype is pretty bad, so I'm only using WhatsApp and FaceTime to talk to people these days, I'll PM you with my mobile number so you can get in touch. :f_smile:
      As for a short update, I'm so far with a total of 300 games so far, and by the end of the day over here, — In about 9 hours — will update with how it's going in terms of everything else.

Thanks for you time everyone.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Improved a little on the volume today, and started playing 5 tables. Will probably finish the goal of doing 6 at the same time comfortably tomorrow. So, time to rethink my goals, and update them tomorrow, will ponder adding up to 9, because It's becoming even more obvious than I've predicted, that variance will be big in these, — although no big swings so far, with +-12 buy-ins — which I'm okay with it.

Found some big grinders in the $1.50 games, and scoped their ROI at around 5%, and even though the sample is still small, because I feel it's time already to post some results here they are:
      - Total tournaments: 346
      - ROI: 11.27%

Thanks for your time people.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Just read your updated intro and have to say that I am very impressed with your range - from romance novels to B.Sc. (Info Sys) to now Civil Engineering... it's an interesting journey your on. I look forward to reading more.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      So I'm leaving hypers, for a simple reason: I can't cope with that high of a volume in order to turn a decent profit over time invested. As said I wanted to make some extra money and everything. This week went ok, after 1,8k games my ROI was almost stuck at around 8%, making that number since I reached 1,1k.

It was a good week since I've started the blog, and I know that we need to play what you enjoy the most. Had a lot of fun playing around with ICM at the SNG Wizard (good scores too), and it was a pretty decent week profit wise, a little above $200 after just six days. But it is mentally exhausting multitabling SNGs, it came at some moments I had around 7 or 8 HU at the same time, and although I'm comfortable with my knowledge of NASH ranges, — good enough for micros I'd say — there were times I just had the feeling of spewing chips around and it stopped being fun.

Until around 8 tables it was still fun, but SNGs — especially hypers — are all about the high volume, and I just can't do that for a long period of time, as a challenge, yea I'm fine, do it for a little while. But as my primary form of poker? No. Can't enjoy it that much, will have much more blast on the other form of poker.

So I'm proud to say I'll be back at cash games, which I know and love. Can't decide thought if short-handed will be a good thing on the micro limits, but if I choose full-ring, high volume will definitely be a must, and at cash games I can cope with high multitabling. Will take the weekend off so I can decide more on that, and experiment on what PokerStars has to offer, also will try play a little bit at PKR, to get some strategy points and unlock some articles and videos here at PokerStrategy.

Current Goals
      - Get outside
      - Have a blast and party with my friends
      - Write some novels
      - Play at PKR for points
      - Decide whether to grind SH vs. FR

Here is a Gorilla doing a high five to a Shark in the air with explosions to compensate your time:

Thanks for your time people.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nathanrenard

Pretty awesome graphic -- Enjoy your weekend!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      With the sunday coming to a close here are the progress of my weekend goals and set up, will keep the post simple because there are so many things to still do and the day is almost over.

Weekend Goals
      - Get outside - I did, ran 22k on Saturday.
      Did an awesome run towards one of the many beaches we've got around here, on my way back I got blessed by the most brutal summer rain ever, and almost slipped on my way back home, but did survived.

- Have a blast and party with my friends - Dear god what to tell about my Friday?
      There are no words to express how brutally fun was Friday night. Went out with a friend I've never been to a nightclub before, so didn't knew how it was going to be. Safe to say both of us got lucky, and the music was awesome to dance along, which is pretty rare from this particular place we went. Ended up having the most weird three-way conversation ever, and met a friend who I didn't knew was back at town after a period abroad.

What still bums me though is the immense number of people using their smartphones at the club, it gets so annoying that makes me wonder if people forgot how to be alone at the first place? :f_rolleyes:

- Write some novels - Some good things coming to my main blog :f_ugly:
      Did some four short stories, and finished two chapters from my future book. Hopefully it will be done by mid-February, as I want to see how the story will end.

- Play at PKR for points - Didn't do it :f_rolleyes:
      Just formated my computer this weekend for a fresh install on everything, bought Hold'em Manager, — was using PokerTracker for my entire life :f_eek: — reinstalled PokerStars, and everything. And now basically my computer has only two purposes Poker and Writing, so it's clean as a whistle and running perfectly for my next grinding experience.

- Decide whether to grind SH vs. FR - Full ring it is.
      After a time considering, I've topped to play 24 tables, because I can simple as that. I know it will take some adjustments in order to not waste that much money, but I enjoy the action it gives me when I used to did this. So for that, at least for now I won't play shorthanded, because I'm pretty sure I would be bleeding a lot of money in non-optimal play that comes with not getting used to it.

As far as decision making goes, I'm pretty comfortable with, my last work had me involved watching and monitoring a lot of servers, having to make around 35 to 40 decisions per minute. If you can't imagine what that looked like, just picture Tank looking at the matrix screen:

Kinda like this.

So here at my set of goals until the end of the month, hopefully I'll not die trying to achieve them.

Current Goals for January
      - Play at least 8k hands daily at NL2.
      - Everyday review at least 10 hands from forums and/or my own.
      - Reread King Lear from Shakespeare.
      - Do a 30k run.
      - Invite some friends to a barbecue at my home.

And this was supposed to be a simple post. Well, as usual, thanks for your time.
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      8k hands daily... poah, yeah. why not :D GL!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      8k hands daily... poah, yeah. why not :D GL!
      Like a walk in the park at 24 tables :f_ugly:

Hit the 50% milestone so far and still feeling great about my play. Just doing a dinner break right now and decided to share a very interesting hand that occured in the begginging of the day, as further info villain is a complete fish playing 59/3 over a sample of around 290 hands.
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $2.14 (107 bb)
      BB: $2 (100 bb)
      UTG+1: $0.80 (40 bb)
      UTG+2: $0.78 (39 bb)
      MP1: $3.88 (194 bb)
      MP2: $2.08 (104 bb)
      MP3: $4.54 (227 bb)
      CO: $3.25 (162.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $2.22 (111 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J J
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.23) Q Q T (2 players)
      MP3 bets $2.12, Hero calls $2.12 and is all-in

Turn: ($4.47) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($4.47) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $4.47 pot ($0.16 rake)
      Final Board: Q Q T 5 J
      MP3 showed A 3 and lost (-$2.22 net)
      Hero showed J J and won $4.31 ($2.09 net)
      What's your thoughs on this one? Would you have called? I put him on a range of small pocket pairs that do this pretty often.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      - Do a 30k run.
      Wow... Why do I feel like this is you...

and this is me...
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ramble
      - Do a 30k run.
      Wow... Why do I feel like this is you...

and this is me...
      Hahaha, it's not that hard, already did a 30k on the first week of the month and a more slowly paced 60k including water support from friends, it's like Barney Stinson would say:

While I'm at here, here is another hand for you guys, this one was a little more tricky, since villain was a good opponent with 17/14 over 125 hands.
      Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players

SB: $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      BB: $2.89 (144.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $2 (100 bb)
      MP1: $1.56 (78 bb)
      MP2: $2.71 (135.5 bb)
      MP3: $2.01 (100.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $0.98 (49 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5 5
      UTG+2 raises to $0.06, MP1 calls $0.06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, SB folds, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.31) 2 5 A (5 players)
      BB bets $0.22, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.81, BTN folds, BB raises to $2.83, Hero calls $1.13 and is all-in

Turn: ($4.19) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($4.19) 4 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $4.19 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: 2 5 A 9 4
      BB showed 2 A and lost (-$2.00 net)
      UTG+2 mucked and lost (-$0.06 net)
      MP1 mucked and lost (-$0.06 net)
      Hero showed 5 5 and won $4.04 ($2.04 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$0.06 net)
      My thought process on this one was that he was either with a good Ax type of hand, or a flush draw. Since there was no way my range would put him defending with 34. Simple play, or should've I played in another way?

By the way, finished today with 8,7k hands. Sick volume and a EV of 11.35/100bb, so it's all good. And my friends were invited to a barbecue on Saturday, pictures will be posted. :f_cool:

Thanks for you time everyone.
    • 99PROBLEMSS
      99PROBLEMSS
      Bronze
      nice blog will be following this..good luck
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 99PROBLEMSS
      nice blog will be following this..good luck
      Hey there, nice to see you here. Hopefully you'll enjoy this saga.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Had to start grinding earlier today as I've commited to take my parents to the airport at night, so far down to 17k hands at NL2 and I'm quite comfortable with my play, going for nothing but value and ABC. Pretty sure that when I choose to move up at NL5
      this style of play couldn't possible be profitable.

My stats at this moment show rounding the numbers VPIP/PFR/3B at 14/11/3, so I'm a complete nit. :f_cool:

And today I'll share a very stupid/lucky hand that started after I misclicked when rearranging the tables. Who says misclicking is always unprofitable?

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

SB: $2.09 (104.5 bb)
      BB: $0.92 (46 bb)
      UTG+1: $1.91 (95.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $1.95 (97.5 bb)
      MP1: $1.90 (95 bb)
      Hero (MP2): $2 (100 bb)
      MP3: $2.01 (100.5 bb)
      CO: $1.47 (73.5 bb)
      BTN: $0.96 (48 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2 8
      3 folds, Hero calls $0.02, 3 folds, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: ($0.06) K 4 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.06) 8 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.05, BB folds, Hero calls $0.05

River: ($0.16) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.11, Hero raises to $0.45, SB raises to $2.02 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.48 and is all-in

Results:
      $4.02 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: K 4 8 8 2
      SB showed 4 4 and lost (-$2.00 net)
      Hero showed 2 8 and won $3.88 ($1.88 net)
      Thanks for your time everyone.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      So after a interesting start, and I've got control pretty easily of the pace of 24 tabling at FR, I'm going to try today to a switch on SH tables. Because of that I'll be adding a new goal to this.

New Goal:
      - Reread "The Poker Blueprint"

This was a book indicated to me by vonki a few years back, not sure if I could consider it outdated, but I've looked around it and it still seems like a very useful material for this switch.

Even though I'm sitting on a pretty comfortable bankroll for micro limits, I'll keep at the NL2 for this adaptation phase on it, as the pace will be much quicker at SH tables I'm sure. The goal of 8k hands however will still maintain, even if I end up finishing quicker.

So, let's start this Wednesday shall we?

Thanks for your time everyone.
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      What's your mix going to be starting out? (I take it you're not going from 24 FR to 24 SH...)