Worst starting hand award goes to QQ

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze

By daphunk (Short Stack Strategy)

Lost $70 with QQ today.....
      Apart from that though, I get Nothing but lose lose lose. In brief here is how I can describe what happens to me with various starting Hands and my Own quick poker "lessons" because of it! Enjoy :p

Pocket Aces;
      The Only "Conventional" hand that can win. Otherwise villain = set of 8's.
      Aces are pretty much the only hand you can win with, but be warned, 30% of the time the Villain will hit their set! Don't be upset when this happens.

Pocket Kings;
      Ace Magnet. Villain = A8o
      A good hand. Almost as good as Aces and can win 47% of the time! When the Ace comes on the flop though be prepared to Fold. Villain will have between A2o and A8o.

Pocket Queens;
      Ace Magnet. Villain = AQo
      Almost never wins. Possibly because of that argument you had with your girlfriend, news has spread and women Don't like you! So if you get the ladies in poker you should probably just lay them down before that shortstack reraises you with KK. If you are looking at a flop though, be aware that an Ace or a King will come up 85% of the time and The villain will have one of the others in his hand!

Pocket Jacks;
      King Magnet. Villain = KJs
      This is occasionally a good hand. As it is technically not as good as QQ+ You are actually more likely to win as you will hit a set more often. In poker the weaker hand will normally improve 70% of the time to beat the stronger hand so you better hope the villain has QQ here because only then will you win. Normally however the Villain will have something like KJs which is of course worse than your hand and will hit a flush.

Ace King!
      Raise UTG, Shortstack Pushes in MP1, Hero has to fold.
      This Is a great hand. But you know that Shortstack just behind you? Yes, If you pick up AK he will pick up something in the region of QQ+ to reraise you with so you'll have to fold against him without even seeing the flop!

Ace Queen,
      Raise. Hit Pair of Aces on flop, Push. Villain Calls shows AK.
      AQ is a lovely hand. Looks elegant and impressive but this is as far as it goes. Unfortunately its still in the top 10% of hands in poker so it is almost guaranteed to lose versus the majority of weaker hands. This is the one strong hand that can also get beaten by better hands though and frequently You will run into AK with this one.

The K3s Steal that got called!
      Some of The best hands in the game Are hands that shouldn't be!
      Now, It doesn't nescaserily have to be a K3s but mainly any stealing hand that you wouldn't consider good. Now these will almost certainly get you something useful on the flop if they get called!
      As we have learned It is in fact the worst hand that will win in a confrontation and K3s for example is indeed dominated by Many other hands. This is why you cannot lose. The Flop will normally be K high, Villain will call your cbet and you will then hit Trips or two pair on turn. Sometimes however you'll just hit a flush on the flop though!

That about wraps up my tips for today but just remember;

Take my Advice and laugh as Your guaranteed K3s Backdoor Flush Owns that Villains "properly" played AQ! Heed my experience and you'll be rolling in profit in no time! Just remember, the worst hand normally wins ;) (Unless its up against AA or KK, in which case it only wins 40% of the time)
  • 15 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I feel for you :P

Congrats on making the funniest downswing report :)
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      i feel for you to, and i know about the k3 situation, i lost 5 hands in a row last night( 4 tables ), had QQ, AA, JJ, KK and AK and all lost to k3, sets, straights, flush, full house, 2 pair, the last time i had KA and flop came K38, i bet n he pushed, straight away i thought he has K3 again but then i thought no we raised pre flop hes more likely got pockets or a weaker king like KQ or KJ, and it was only another 0.50 over my raise so i called, he showed K3 lol
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      It's sad and funny topic at the same time :-) Man relax it's just 300BB(3BI for BBS), I had -20BI for BSS twice in 2 month already but I am still going up!
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      hehehe, glad to hear you guys enjoyed reading it!
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      I found many of the things written here to be depressingly true. Specially with SnG players u get to see a lot of all ins and SDs with with "good" vs. "bad" so from experience, a lot of what's here is true. At the same time, the next upswing should make me a millionare :P
    • alepov
      alepov
      Bronze
      haha nice writeup
    • Jaime001254
      Jaime001254
      Bronze
      lol... i still have more EV with AJ than with AQ
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      I found many of the things written here to be depressingly true. Specially with SnG players u get to see a lot of all ins and SDs with with "good" vs. "bad" so from experience, a lot of what's here is true. At the same time, the next upswing should make me a millionare :P
      Your know whats still the nicest beat of all in this aspect....
      5 places before ITM in a nice tourney which can bring a very positive uplift to your BR you get delt QQ... someone pushes, you call. He got 77 great, he is so dominated.

Wrong, worst hand always wins. Not with a set mind you which can happen 1/5 of the time, but with something far more creative: A straight :)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      http://weaktight.com/534900 --> my last QQ ... because floping a set is not enough sometimes

set = gutshot magnet lately :D
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      /sarcasm
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      hehehe, Guys I might have to Add now that AA is a pretty bad hand. These last couple of days I've discovered that its a Two-Outer Magnet! :D
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      I think i found an error in your post.....

Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Ace King!
      Raise UTG, Shortstack Pushes in MP1, Hero has to fold.
      This Is a great hand. But you know that Shortstack just behind you? Yes, If you pick up AK he will pick up something in the region of QQ+ to reraise you with so you'll have to fold against him without even seeing the flop!
      While it may hold for BSS, when playing SSS the stack behind you will reraise with J-4o rather than QQ, which will of course flop 2 pair and river a boat...:)

This is because he already knows that QQ is poor to push, but J-4o is invincible!!
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      haha this is hysterical :D
      Love it man :heart:

+1 sticky
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      haha this is hysterical :D
      Love it man :heart:

+1 sticky
      Cheers :) I enjoyed writing it!
    • Cagey75
      Cagey75
      Bronze
      QQ is on a par with AKs (or os) for me as worst starting hands. I always get them late in any MTT, can never resist playing them, always hit something or get that nice low flop for the QQ, always end up all in, always end up getting rivered by raggys who'll hit 2 pair or low straight.

Lost 86K in chips the other night in the last 9 of a $4000GP mtt. Flopped that K with 2 low cards out, K on turn .... all in, other player had 66 and had hit set on flop. My trip K gave him the house, not that it mattered. 86k gone in one hand, bloody AK, hate it.