Journey up the mountains | Ka0s' blog | NL25 SH

• Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: JOURNEY UP THE MOUNTAINS | Ka0s' BLOG :club: :spade: :diamond: :heart:  

Played at: FL $0.10/0.25 FR || FL $0.25/0.50 FR || FL $0.50/1.00 FR || NL $10 SH || NL $25 SH || NL $50 SH ||
      Currently playing: NL $25 SH

Hello fellow poker players,

I decided to start a blog where I can drop my progress as a poker player, thoughts and concepts about the game, ... anything really. I think it will be great for later on.
      So, this is it ...

A little bit about myself:

I'm 28 years old right now and live in the Netherlands. I've been playing poker for about 2,5 years already. Mostly $25NL and $50NL shorthanded, and NL tournaments and sng's.
      I wasn't a bad player, but not a good one either. I didn't track my hands and profit at the time, but I think I was a break-even or slightly loosing player. I probably won money overall, but that was mainly due to a nice payout (at least for me) from the Sunday Warmup on Pokerstars, which I did a qualifier for.
      When I started playing poker, the hand rankings and game rules was pretty much all I knew. So everything I know I basically learned just by playing. And although you can learn a lot from that, there must be quite some things about my game that need some change.
      But, I had to cashout my bankroll, which led me to PokerStrategy a few weeks ago. It sucked at the time, but now I'm happy about it. I think it will be good for me to start all over.

This is a good time to take my game back to the core and go from there. To me, limit hold'em has always been the core hold'em game from which the other variaties derived (don't know if this is true). That's why I chose to start by playing limit hold'em and get a good grasp of some basic concepts you'll find in all hold'em games. I don't know where it all will end up, but I'm probably not gonna stick to just limit.

Right now I'm playing FL $0.10/0.20 full ring. I got the $50 starting bankroll up to $150 right now, with still $30 of the $100 bonus money to clear. So I'm gonna move up in stakes very soon. It probably would have been quicker if Ipoker had a $0.15/0.30 level, but I got there ;)

:club: :spade: :diamond: :heart:  

I think about now it's time to set some goals for myself:

Longterm goals:
      1. Become a proven winner at NL$200 SH or build a roll to play NL$400 SH, whichever comes first.
      2. Set new longterm goal when 1 is reached.

Shortterm goals:
      - Study theory (more).
      - Write about my own thoughts about some theory.
      - Make a video of playing NL$25 SH to spot mistakes and discuss with other players. -> Done
      - Learn to play with stats well. -> Doing it
      - Build a roll for NL$50 SH. -> Done, but might have to drop back down soon.

:club: :spade: :diamond: :heart:  

So anybody that wants to drop me a line, you can do it here. :)

• 75 replies
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      Good to see you moving up Kaos, the less winning players at 0.1-0.2 tables the better :D
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Here is my graph until now:

As you can see, I had quite some trouble in the beginning. This is mainly because in periods when I don't catch enough cards to play, I start playing anyway. I truly believe this is my biggest leak, where I loose the most money. Combine that with playing too many tables, and you get a graph like this :) .

• Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      @ Lennert:

I haven't seen you anymore at $0.10/0.20, afraid of playing against me? :D
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      I've played about 500 hands there, mostly during the day, but I won't be playing a lot untill the end of January (exams are coming fast)

I'm also going to stop using the SHC and switch to the bronze charts.

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: Progress Update :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:  

My bankroll hit $165. I still have $30 of bonus money to clear, so if I consider this as part of my br, I have $195.

So I'm officially moving to FL $0.25/$0.50 FR now. I will move back down when I get under $150 (so $120 without the bonus money). I'm still a bit nervous about it, because the blinds look so big. But I'm just gonna take a shot and take it easy in the beginning. I'm gonna play 2 tables and play pretty tight until I get the hang of it. First I want to know what the differences are (if any), who the regulars are, etc ...

Any advice is always welcome :)
    • Amirapuato
      Amirapuato
      Bronze
      Hi Ka0s,

Nice to see another FL blog, and thx for your comment on mine. :)

I had the same problem when I moved up to 0.25/0.50 FR, the blinds just seemed too big. :D But after some days I easily mastered it, GL beating them.

If you need some help with the regulars (BesN, devaela, entarion, siami, slavakk, latti and many others), just let me know. :)
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      If you need some help with the regulars ...

I already met some of those just now :D . No troubles so far, but I'll let you know.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: Progress Update :club: :diamond: :heart: :spade:  

Don't worry, I won't post an update every time I play. But of course I have to post a first session at a new limit.
      Which went quite nice!

+ $16.22, 17.26 BigBlinds/100
      br = $191 with $20 bonus to clear.

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      There's nothing more encouraging than having successful 1st shot on new limit! :D

I wouldn't be worry about regulars, if I were you, because if there's someone regularly playing 0.25/0.5 for over few months, he is not very good player (the same applies to all FL levels up to 5/10 I think) -> if he was, he'd move up after some time...

It's nice to see another successful FL player; keep grinding! :)
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Thanks for encouragement Opal99.

Today went totally different. I can't believe how cold this deck is to me. I'm loosing with AA, KK, QQ, set over set. I lost so many big pots where I'm so strong. I used to loose a lot with weak hands or bluffs, but my play really wasnt bad. Screw this!!!!
      I'm gonna quit for the rest of the day.

Just wanted to spit this out ... tomorrow there's another day.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      I'm still playing, but nothing interesting. I'm breaking even at FL $0.25/0.25 atm, for over 6k hands. Up and down around the $0 point :( . It's actually beginning to bore me a bit, I expected to have less trouble winning at these stakes. Lots and lots of multiway pots I don't end up winning with draws to the nuts etc. Just need to win a few of these, and my br will get some boost.

I bought small 'Small stakes Hold'em' by Ed Miller, Davis Sklansky and Mason Malmuth. Will probably be an interesting and educational read. :)
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze

So far, FL $0.25/$0.50 FR isn't treating me nicely. Journey down the mountains.

-$21.08
      -0.72 BB/100
      Br: $170

• lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      ouch, looks like a painful downfall.

Have you reviewed the large loosing hands and big winning ones? Perhaps you'll find some leak. (When I moved up, I kinda went on tilt, and although I thought I was playing my normal game revieuwing those hands made me realise I was on tilt)

if not, it's just variance, and it'll all blow over in a few days/weeks.

GL at the tables
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      GL on the grind!!!
      Tell us about your game... how many tables do you play, what do you think about this limit. Every piece of information is welcomed, in order for us to advice you.
      Always start a new limit with less tables till you get used to the limit.

By the way 21BB lost isn't that big of a variance. It's not a downswing!!!
      You can win it back in an hour or so during good days.
    • Gambitwd
      Gambitwd
      Bronze
      hey there Ka0s :)

Im sneaking into your journal :P , this limit has been a bit tough for me as well, seems like it was to cheap for people to fold any starting hand...but over time everything will adjust out youll see.Use the SHC without deviation...its one great tool to have handy and the only one you shouldnt fold ;) Keep up the efforts youll make it im sure.

best of luck!

Christine :heart:
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze

ouch, looks like a painful downfall.

Have you reviewed the large loosing hands and big winning ones? Perhaps you'll find some leak. (When I moved up, I kinda went on tilt, and although I thought I was playing my normal game revieuwing those hands made me realise I was on tilt)

if not, it's just variance, and it'll all blow over in a few days/weeks.

GL at the tables

It's not that bad. I'm not too worried yet. I just hate loosing. Loosing feels twice as bad as winning feels good.
      I think there's always some degree of tilting involved. I got rid of it for the most part, but it's probably present in small amounts. When you loose a lot of hands in a row, you can start to make little mistakes here and there that are not that obvious. A little call here, one raise in the other hand.
      That's some degree of tilting to me. All small amounts, but when you add it toghetter over some k hands, it will be more :) .

And after reviewing my hands, I think a lot of it is due to variation. A lot of cold decks, bad beats and never win a big multiway pot where I have a lot of equity. When the last graph goes down at the end, I actually think I played my best game so far.
      But certainly not all of it is variation, more about that in one of the next posts.

I posted a bunch of hands, yet to be reviewed. If you like it and have the time, maybe you can comment on some of them to? I'm curious about how you would play them. (No hard feelings if you don't ;) )
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze

Originally posted by 1seednoir1
      GL on the grind!!!
      Tell us about your game... how many tables do you play, what do you think about this limit. Every piece of information is welcomed, in order for us to advice you.
      Always start a new limit with less tables till you get used to the limit.

By the way 21BB lost isn't that big of a variance. It's not a downswing!!!
      You can win it back in an hour or so during good days.
      Thanks for your interest. I usually play between 2 and 4 tables. Sometimes 5 or 6, but only when I'm really not getting any playable hands.
      But I think the best thing I can do is post hands more frequently.

I don't consider this a downswing :) . A lot of it is variance imo, but not all of it.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze

Originally posted by Gambitwd
      hey there Ka0s :)

Im sneaking into your journal :P , this limit has been a bit tough for me as well, seems like it was to cheap for people to fold any starting hand...but over time everything will adjust out youll see.Use the SHC without deviation...its one great tool to have handy and the only one you shouldnt fold ;) Keep up the efforts youll make it im sure.

best of luck!

Christine :heart:
      Sneaking in here eh. I thought I heard something ;) . I always keep the front door open, so no need to sneak in next time ;) .
      It's true, those people won't fold preflop. But that's a good thing in the long run. At least it should be.

I think this should be removed from the strategy articles, lol:

How to play when nobody has entered the hand yet. Most frequently it is the case that everyone folds before you. Now you can be the first to enter the hand, which is as we say "first in".
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      So, I was gonna write more about my losses ...

A lot of it is due to variance imo, but ...
      I came across some interesting facts when playing around with Holdem Manager. You can filter your hands on all sorts of stuff. So I started to analyse my river results more closely.
      The outcome:

First I filtered my hands on all hands where I saw a river, and my last action was either bet or raise. So I played the river aggressive and was confident I had the best hand in these situations. Over these hands, I'm showing a huge profit :D , as it should be.

After that, I filtered my hands on all hands where I saw a river, but my last action was either check-call or call. In these cases I might or might not have been the aggressor throughout the hand. But at least I played the river passively. So I wasn't as confident about my hand, but still thought I was ahead enough of the time to make the call profitable.
      The amount of money I lost by calling the river was kinda mindblowing :rolleyes: ! I had to puke. And then puke some more. My br would be way up if I would have folded in these cases!

So this is probably a huge leak. For the next hands I'm gonna play, this will be my main focus point. If I'm not comfortable betting the river myself or raising a bet, I'll be better off folding most of the time. Results will follow...