How do you deal with check-callers on NL2 Zoom?

• ilostmysoul
      I recently started studying my sessions and I found I lost most of my money in two situations:
      1. Chasing bad odds to the very end, even when implied odds are bad (most of the times OESD or 4-card flushes, and sometimes even gutshots for some reason).
      2. Getting a good hand, usually against 1 or 2 players, being last to act, and having him check-calling me to the end.

This hand from my very last session is a good example of what I mean.
      Hand converted with online hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9, Q.
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.04, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.09) Q, 3, J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, CO calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.29) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, CO calls $0.12.

River: ($0.53) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, CO calls $0.16.

Final Pot: $0.85.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(9 Q).
      CO shows two pairs, queens and jacks(Q J).

CO wins with two pairs, queens and jacks(Q J).

I learned my lesson from a while back and have ever since stopped betting for value that much (I would bet 1/2 or 1/3 of the pot with an hand like this, so by the end I would lose too much money to keep this up).
      But what am I supposed to do in this situation? I mean I can't not bet, can I? It's not like I'm bluffing, I have top pair with a medium-sized kicker. If he had raised me just once I'd probably throw the hand away.
      And also, had I been in first position, most likely this would happen as well. I would bet and he would call to the end.

I read somewhere (can't recall where exactly) that when someone calls you, you should assume they have you beat. Is this a good way of thinking? But then I would check in the Turn, he would bet, and I would fold. This would happen even if he had KJ or Qx, being x = low kicker, like 3 or 4.
      So, how should I deal with these guys?
      Thanks for answering in advance and good luck at the tables :)

EDIT: By the way I knew he didn't have the A because this guy has a very recognizable profile pic and everytime I caught him till now he always raises to 15 (and not the usual 3-bet) everytime he has A pre-flop, unless it's a low, like A2-A8, but then his call on the flop wouldn't be justified
  • 4 replies
    • Mikus8
      What on earth are you doing with this hand?
      Why are you donkbetting flop with this hand for pot?
      What are you trying to accomplish with turn and river bet? You completely value owned yourself.

Only advice I can give you without knowing your reasoning for these actions is check-call flop, check-call turn, check-fold river
    • ilostmysoul
      Uhm thanks for answering :)
      Was it really that badly played? I understand why the turn/river bet were probably too dumb, but was the bet on the flop that bad?
    • Mikus8
      1) If he has air, he just folds (by checking we give him a chance to bluff)
      2) If he has a better hand, he just calls or raises
      And if he raises, he put's you in a very tough spot

By playing our hand like this we are making least amount of money when he has bluffs and lose more than we should have when he has us beat
    • ilostmysoul
      Yea makes sense. I need to improve my thought process a lot :/
      Thanks again for answering :)