Online poker and loneliness

• Fr0z3nByt3
      Fr0z3nByt3
      Bronze
      Hi there! I'm a professional online poker player and I have no life. By that I mean no friends, I live alone, I see my father a few times per month and I videochat with my mom who lives in a different country. I'm not in school anymore and I don't do anything besides playing poker and watching movies and tv series. I've had some problems with depression in the past and I feel it's coming back and also I have some kind of social anxiety so I can't go to the gym or do other stuff normal people do. I will talk to a psychologist about it thou and work it out but I was wondering if any of you have or have had the same problem and what you did/do to combat the loneliness...
  • 6 replies
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      Hey man, know how you feel, I've been suffering with social anxiety and depression for years now. Best advise I have is to go see your doctor as soon as possible, they should help sort you out with a therapist for a course of cognitive behavioural therapy and may also prescribe sedatives and anti depressants. Try to cut back on alcohol, caffeine and nicotine intake, establish a regular sleep cycle and exercise as much as possible, just a half hour walk every day or something.
      Hope you start feeling better soon :)
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      You could try joining a group for something you have an interest in, play some live pub poker, or even rent a desk at a shared office/studio and play poker there while getting to know the other people there.
    • sherriffatman
      sherriffatman
      Bronze
      if this is a genuine request and not some sort of stupid 'joke' post, then maybe you could start by making more 'friends' on here (request sent btw) and being more active in the forum etc.

I don't know what your interests are apart from poker, but there must be something you can get involved with to meet/interact with new people - also it will deffo help your poker career to have other interests/lifestyle balance - what about maybe doing some voluntary work for local charities or something similar?

If you are really socially anxious around people, then maybe a pet would provide some 'company' for you and give you a sense of caring for something - I know from my own experience that loads more people (esp ladies!) talk to me now outside on the street and on the bus etc. when I have my dog with me, whereas they would never have given me a second glance before!
      (obv this isn't a reason to get a pet in itself, and you must be responsible for it etc., but it definitely helps get you out of bed/outside!)

Hope that things turn around for you soon, and don't be afraid to ask for help!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey bro,

I've seen you at the tables ($2.50s 180s) quite a lot recently.

Depression is horrible and I really think you should go and see someone (doctor or other professionals in this field)

There's nothing more I can really add that hasn't already been said above. If you are interested, I will send you a friend request, please accept and we can talk on Skype.

All the best,
      Gary
    • Fr0z3nByt3
      Fr0z3nByt3
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for your replays guys!
      I guess my post ended up sounding way more depressing that I actually was. I mainly just wanted to find out if there are others in my situation and what do they do.
      I've made an appointment to a therapist to talk about my social anxiety and my problems and I have really high hopes for it.
      I'm also trying to get a normal sleep schedule, I'll try to eat more healthy (I'm already a vegan, but haven't been eating good stuff lately) and work out. Also no alcohol and max 1 coffee per day (I can get on without it even or replace it with black tea). Also I made a list with some supplements that I'll get really soon.
      I've tried to be more active online and chat to people and it's going ok. No idea about real life friends yet as I'm usually panicking at the idea of talking to an unknown person.
      Also I've found some meaning in donating part of the money I make and in thinking that in the future, when I'll be ok, I could help people who are going through what I'm going now.
      I hope I'll come back to this thread in the future and write about the progress I've made. :)
      Thanks and take care!
    • lando1
      lando1
      Basic
      Hello, I'm not a professional online poker player (just hobby player) but I am having no life as well. So dont worry too much, Poker does not have to be the reason for it.