3G on mobile phones

• cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I am just about to order my new phone. I am torn between 2. The iphone 3G, and the new nokia N96.

Both of these phones have 3G. It doesn't make sense from what I've read. 3G is free? This means I can use the internet on the phone from anywhere in the UK? For free? hmmm.....

It states that you can access the internet for free, through a wi-fi connection OR on 3G.

I have read quite abit on it, but are you really connected to the internet 24/7. Thats what it says.... and is it FREE?

LOL, anyone have a UK 3G phone? I could do with your feedback on the whole, about this 3G.

A fast reply would be much appreciated, as I can get it delivered 1st thing tomorrow. My old phone got stood on today :( Damn brothers!!!!

Thx guys,
      Stiev
  • 18 replies
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Imo 3G costs (I'm not sure but you have to pay certain amount of money every month).

Wifi is free but u get WIFI only certain places where there is free wireless area. I don't know how many wireless areas are there in England.

Here is comparison between iPhone and Nokia N96:
      http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/0,239025893,339286438,00.htm

I think I would choose Nokia because it has GPS and for this:

• ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      It's probably free to "acces" but costs something per mb you download.
      Atleast that's how it is in Denmark and i've had a 3g for some years

ps: u download when you surf too

ps: <3 cannell

Oh and they never work properly. The connection is horrible even if your sitting on top of their antenna.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Well as far as I can see, its free if you have a pay monthly contract. Which I will.

There is 9100 Wi-Fi areas in the UK I read before.

I'm only interested in the 3G though. As the info on the net regarding it is poo!!

Well I have friends with the 3G function. But I never took any notice as to what it is/does/costs etc. But I've heard a few mention it. :( Unfortunatly I cant phone them as I don't have their numbers :D due to my mobile being ****ed. :/

Also from what I read, the Iphone has GPS, or something similar ;)

hmmm.....
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      go for the stone
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Im looking at iPhone aswell! But man it's expensive, and I don't need 3g... I just want a good mp3 and a phone (both of these of mine are broke/falling apart). I think 3G is like completely unnecessery unless you're rich and want a nice toy :>
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Im looking at iPhone aswell! But man it's expensive, and I don't need 3g... I just want a good mp3 and a phone (both of these of mine are broke/falling apart). I think 3G is like completely unnecessery unless you're rich and want a nice toy :>
      Well I'm actually getting a £75 a month contract so the phone is free ;) well it costs £75/month, but you get the picture :)

and btw if you just want a phone and a mp3 player, i'd go for a sony erricson. I had the walkman version a few years ago. They are actually nice phones.

But I just want a new toy, an early christmas present to myself :)

Has anyone got the iphone in the UK? on a pay monthly contract?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555

Well I'm actually getting a £75 a month contract so the phone is free ;) well it costs £75/month, but you get the picture :)
      That's what I mean... EXPENSIVE :P
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ihufa
      go for the stone
      I have the stone and it hasnt failed me yet plus its its quite resistant to drops
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Well, I guess i'll find out what 3G is soon.

I just ordered the Iphone, but went overboard. I spent £320 on added extra's :D I got me a new toy :D
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      We know how do you like spending money. You are willing to pay millions for these things:

;)
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      :D
    • bender834
      bender834
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Originally posted by ihufa
      go for the stone
      I have the stone and it hasnt failed me yet plus its its quite resistant to drops
      also waterproof, and life time guarantee
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Well, I guess i'll find out what 3G is soon.

I just ordered the Iphone, but went overboard. I spent £320 on added extra's :D I got me a new toy :D
      I have 3g internet on my laptop, its a small modem that looks like a mouse that plugs into one of the usb thingies. Very convenient if you want to play wherever, whenever.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      ahhhh. you mean laptop dongles are actually apart of the 3G? makes sense now.

It seems that I get unlimited internet use with my £75/month, through this 3G.

I have just viewed all the add on apps that are available on the phone. I mean how cool, there is an application that locates and gives satalitte navigation to every McDonalds in the UK. How fricken cool is that :D lol. After viewing some of the apps and games and stuff, I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I didn't know you tilt it to turn in games and shit (like PS's SixAxis)

Amazing what is on offer these days. My £350 phone (12 months old), is now selling for £25. Quite unreal whats on offer.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      ahhhh. you mean laptop dongles are actually apart of the 3G? makes sense now.

It seems that I get unlimited internet use with my £75/month, through this 3G.

I have just viewed all the add on apps that are available on the phone. I mean how cool, there is an application that locates and gives satalitte navigation to every McDonalds in the UK. How fricken cool is that :D lol. After viewing some of the apps and games and stuff, I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

I didn't know you tilt it to turn in games and shit (like PS's SixAxis)

Amazing what is on offer these days. My £350 phone (12 months old), is now selling for £25. Quite unreal whats on offer.
      I pay $45/month for unlimited dl (free modem thingy included but signed 2 yr contract =S )
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi,

The iPhone has landed. I am writing and sending this message of the 3G. It's pretty damn fast. Seems top quality. I'm very impressed with it :)

Regards,
      Stiev
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Hi,

The iPhone has landed. I am writing and sending this message of the 3G. It's pretty damn fast. Seems top quality. I'm very impressed with it :)

Regards,
      Stiev
      you should have went for the iStone...

also i'm a nokia fanboy so i think i will start hating you now.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      :P