This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

3G on mobile phones

    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      Hi guys,

      I am just about to order my new phone. I am torn between 2. The iphone 3G, and the new nokia N96.

      Both of these phones have 3G. It doesn't make sense from what I've read. 3G is free? This means I can use the internet on the phone from anywhere in the UK? For free? hmmm.....

      It states that you can access the internet for free, through a wi-fi connection OR on 3G.

      I have read quite abit on it, but are you really connected to the internet 24/7. Thats what it says.... and is it FREE?

      LOL, anyone have a UK 3G phone? I could do with your feedback on the whole, about this 3G.

      A fast reply would be much appreciated, as I can get it delivered 1st thing tomorrow. My old phone got stood on today :( Damn brothers!!!!

      Thx guys,
      Stiev
  • 18 replies
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.05.2007 Posts: 1,820
      Imo 3G costs (I'm not sure but you have to pay certain amount of money every month).

      Wifi is free but u get WIFI only certain places where there is free wireless area. I don't know how many wireless areas are there in England.

      Here is comparison between iPhone and Nokia N96:
      http://www.cnet.com.au/mobilephones/0,239025893,339286438,00.htm

      I think I would choose Nokia because it has GPS and for this:

    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      Joined: 18.03.2008 Posts: 3,323
      It's probably free to "acces" but costs something per mb you download.
      Atleast that's how it is in Denmark and i've had a 3g for some years

      ps: u download when you surf too

      ps: <3 cannell

      Oh and they never work properly. The connection is horrible even if your sitting on top of their antenna.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      Well as far as I can see, its free if you have a pay monthly contract. Which I will.

      There is 9100 Wi-Fi areas in the UK I read before.

      I'm only interested in the 3G though. As the info on the net regarding it is poo!!

      Well I have friends with the 3G function. But I never took any notice as to what it is/does/costs etc. But I've heard a few mention it. :( Unfortunatly I cant phone them as I don't have their numbers :D due to my mobile being ****ed. :/

      Also from what I read, the Iphone has GPS, or something similar ;)

      hmmm.....
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Silver
      Joined: 18.03.2008 Posts: 3,323
      go for the stone
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.12.2006 Posts: 4,978
      Im looking at iPhone aswell! But man it's expensive, and I don't need 3g... I just want a good mp3 and a phone (both of these of mine are broke/falling apart). I think 3G is like completely unnecessery unless you're rich and want a nice toy :>
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Im looking at iPhone aswell! But man it's expensive, and I don't need 3g... I just want a good mp3 and a phone (both of these of mine are broke/falling apart). I think 3G is like completely unnecessery unless you're rich and want a nice toy :>
      Well I'm actually getting a £75 a month contract so the phone is free ;) well it costs £75/month, but you get the picture :)

      and btw if you just want a phone and a mp3 player, i'd go for a sony erricson. I had the walkman version a few years ago. They are actually nice phones.

      But I just want a new toy, an early christmas present to myself :)

      Has anyone got the iphone in the UK? on a pay monthly contract?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Joined: 02.12.2006 Posts: 4,978
      Originally posted by cannell555

      Well I'm actually getting a £75 a month contract so the phone is free ;) well it costs £75/month, but you get the picture :)
      That's what I mean... EXPENSIVE :P
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by ihufa
      go for the stone
      I have the stone and it hasnt failed me yet plus its its quite resistant to drops
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      Well, I guess i'll find out what 3G is soon.

      I just ordered the Iphone, but went overboard. I spent £320 on added extra's :D I got me a new toy :D
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.05.2007 Posts: 1,820
      We know how do you like spending money. You are willing to pay millions for these things:



      ;)
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      :D
    • bender834
      bender834
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.02.2008 Posts: 78
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Originally posted by ihufa
      go for the stone
      I have the stone and it hasnt failed me yet plus its its quite resistant to drops
      also waterproof, and life time guarantee
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Well, I guess i'll find out what 3G is soon.

      I just ordered the Iphone, but went overboard. I spent £320 on added extra's :D I got me a new toy :D
      I have 3g internet on my laptop, its a small modem that looks like a mouse that plugs into one of the usb thingies. Very convenient if you want to play wherever, whenever.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      ahhhh. you mean laptop dongles are actually apart of the 3G? makes sense now.

      It seems that I get unlimited internet use with my £75/month, through this 3G.

      I have just viewed all the add on apps that are available on the phone. I mean how cool, there is an application that locates and gives satalitte navigation to every McDonalds in the UK. How fricken cool is that :D lol. After viewing some of the apps and games and stuff, I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

      I didn't know you tilt it to turn in games and shit (like PS's SixAxis)

      Amazing what is on offer these days. My £350 phone (12 months old), is now selling for £25. Quite unreal whats on offer.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by cannell555
      ahhhh. you mean laptop dongles are actually apart of the 3G? makes sense now.

      It seems that I get unlimited internet use with my £75/month, through this 3G.

      I have just viewed all the add on apps that are available on the phone. I mean how cool, there is an application that locates and gives satalitte navigation to every McDonalds in the UK. How fricken cool is that :D lol. After viewing some of the apps and games and stuff, I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.

      I didn't know you tilt it to turn in games and shit (like PS's SixAxis)

      Amazing what is on offer these days. My £350 phone (12 months old), is now selling for £25. Quite unreal whats on offer.
      I pay $45/month for unlimited dl (free modem thingy included but signed 2 yr contract =S )
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      Hi,

      The iPhone has landed. I am writing and sending this message of the 3G. It's pretty damn fast. Seems top quality. I'm very impressed with it :)

      Regards,
      Stiev
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.09.2008 Posts: 1,539
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Hi,

      The iPhone has landed. I am writing and sending this message of the 3G. It's pretty damn fast. Seems top quality. I'm very impressed with it :)

      Regards,
      Stiev
      you should have went for the iStone...

      also i'm a nokia fanboy so i think i will start hating you now.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.03.2008 Posts: 2,410
      :P