Small steps to succesful poker player(SnG mtt grinding)

• Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

Probably first of all i need to introduce myself,so here we go...

My nickname here,in poker and in a any other website is Mui2Byr in some Mui2Byr13(Stars) or any other numbers in the end.I'm 25 years old.I'm lithuanian living and working in UK for 4 years,doing a 8 to 4:30 warehouse job.How you understand, english is not my first language,so please don't judge me for some mistakes.
      Also I'm playing basketball for local team in national level and restarted workouts at gym after long 7 years.It is easy to understand that at the moment I don't have a lot of free,or poker grinding time,but I'm trying to improve that.

Poker career

Almost like everyone started in childhood with friends playing 5 card poker-that was first met with a game.
      Later when I was 17 my ex-girlfriend show online poker-then I started play for fun money in the same time play with friends in home games for small amounts.

In a 2011 I moved to UK for a reason of bad economics in my country and started work and play more home games with friends.We played 1-2 times per week and I was making some money from that.

In 2012 I deposit some money in bwin poker,later that year create acount in 888poker and in the end of 2012 put some money in Pokerstars.
      2012-2013 In these two years overall I lost about 2000 $ what is roughly my one month wage.In bwin I had -1200$ in PS roughly -600$ and in 888 -200$. In 2012 I was absolutely begginer who was playing any kind holdem tourneys 1-10$.Giving my money to left and right.Also I won qualification in live tournamnet 888 super stack london(orinial buy-in 265$).I went there played for about 2 hours and busted out fifth from bottom.

2014 Jan-Aug I started to do my own exel file for my stats,I have read some poker books,but still I was playing everything in holdem 18,45,180 man and 1-7$ buyins mtt's in stars,and 1-15$ mtt's.In that time I was winning and loosing and in August I won 680$ for first place in 7$ mtt(biggest so far),and then I lost love for poker.After that tournament i didn't played for 4 months.

And in total in 2012-2014 period I had won few times money amounts from 100-500$ and 680 $ was the last.And in overall i finished 2014 in profit of 650$(580$ in 888 and 70$ in stars for about 100h)

2014 Dec My comeback to poker.I downloaded a HM2 for trial and I was thinking to start grind 180 man at stars.I was playing for week and decided that is to big variation and it will be to big swings .(I finished that week with 30$ profit).

From second week of December I started grind 45 man 1.5$.And now more about that.Thats my December graph for 45man's:

I played for 9 days 17 hrs 81 games and resullt was: -52.35$ with -40% roi.Not very exciting stats.But in overall i felt that I'm more in 45's than in 180's.So now I'm really decided to grind 45man sng.

More about plans:

I'm regular worker with many activities outside work maybe to many.I'm finishing job at 4:30.,I'm going to gym also palying basketball and also need some time with my fiancee.
      Workouts at gym I really need(my belly growing up very fast) so it's 3 to 5 times a week with overall 1.5h per time.Basketball was my childhood dream(in Lithuania it's no 1 sport with no doubts ) but some injuries and other factor take that opportunity from me.Now I'm playing in national league,but dont give me any income and bad thing I have games every single weekend for 5-6 months.I'm start beeing realistic and maybe will say no for national league,but I really can't say no for basketball in all.I'm thinking to start playing for local league,that decision will give to me more palying time at poker,way more.But season ends in May-this one I will finish.
      Time with my fiancee.She always was looking at my poker stuff from a sceptic side.I need to mention that she also playing poker sometimes and for long time she have record between us with biggest win-two years ago she won 500$ in bwin.But she cannot play poker in overall(to much risk-averse person real rock).But recently I talked with her I said my plans for poker and now she can accept that- this is very important.

Some of next topics was in may discusion with my fiancee.

What I already did for be better at poker

I already red some books for strategy-it was more for mtt's and single table sng also Poker mindset(very good book),just today finished Treat your poker like a business(also very good book).I recommend these two to read for every person who want play poker for real.
      My job is a bit annoying,but good thing is that I have quite a lot time to spend it in internet,when Im not busy.Roughly i can spend from 5 to 10 hrs per week and much of that time I'm reading about poker.
      After these books I recognised that im getting better to avoid tilt,I accepted a variance in a game in both good and bad luck and any other mind stuff in poker,because my technical playing was better than mindset.

My goals for poker short time

Now i can spend about 15 hours per week for playing poker(5 days by 3 hours),so I want to spend them for best poker I can.Improve playing time after basketball season.
      Keep reading books and articles for poker and start watching strategy videos.
      Try to reach 100 buy-ins for next level as soon as I can.
      Till end of the year I wan't to reach 10000$ profit

Poker goals for long run

Hard work to become professional!
      Play as good as I can and if I can't beat the game,work even harder to beat it.
      Add more tables when I feel I can do that

What I will do in my blog

Every week,probably monday(my week starts that day)-I will do weekly review of my play(graphs,hands,commnets)monday-sunnday of previous week.
      Last day of month or first days of new month I will do monthly review.
      That doesnt mean I will be here only once per week.Every day I will come here to read,answer or ask for something.
      I also hope I will find same thinking people with whom I would have good discusion,comments about hands,graph,my play.

So how I said I hope now to spend about 15 hrs per week.At the moment Im playing 4 tables at once,I hope to add up to 6 in next 2 months(maximum for my 15 6' screen size).

I hope it was not too boring and I'm waiting for responses to have blog going.

Thanks!

P.S. I spent 2,5 hrs for this blog,so I missed my session today :( I really hope it worth it! :)
  • 20 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi Mui2Byr - glad you finally decided to introduce yourself and start a blog.

Looks like you are going to be looking at lots of books, articles and videos. I would recommend not trying to learn too much too quickly. Focus on learning and improving just one area of your game for a couple of weeks. Then move on to the next thing. If you try to learn and work on too much all at once, you are less likely to really get solid in any one area.

Good luck with your goals!
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Thanks for greetings Ramble :) I was registered here few years ago for free money,when I didnt knew that forums for poker is not only to just talk and now decided to be a part of that ;)

I have one question for everyone.I tried to put photo in my first post,but it's only shows letter of url,how to do it properly?I tried straight from pc and also tried from web both doesnt worked?

Im looking now for session in early time of the day,didnt slept like always at weekends- till noon.Allready played 3 days this week and results are good,but about them on monday.Now I have about 3-4 hours for good poker.Hope traffic is good at this time.

Im waiting for your answers about uploading photos.Thank You!
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I have fixed your graph sir:f_cool:
      Further I wish you all the best with playing poker and your new blog :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Thanks for wishes and moderate my graph SDK1987 ! :)

So its always need moderators confirm to post a photo,or how it works?
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Nope. You most likely forgot to filled up .jpg. Otherwise you don’t get a nice screenshot on the forum.
      You did [img]http://imgur.com/a6S1Pay[/img]
      I fixed it with [img]https://imgur.com/a6S1Pay.jpg[/img]

The easiest way to make a picture visible on the forum is to drag your screenshot file to your post and your screenshot will automatic uploaded here. Further you can always use the ‘preview’ button to check your picture worked well.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Thanks mate,appreciate that :)
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello guys :) It's time for my first weekly update
      Week was really good feeling little by little getting there.Still making lots of mistakes,but looking at them after sessions and learning so graph is:

and total stats of week:

Monday was bad day-first after 3 weeks on holidays,8 games 0$.
      Tuesday very good day,I was concentrated from first to last hand and was total winnings nearly 30$
      Wednesday few bad luck shoves/all-in calls but finished slightly in money
      Saturday I had time in a morning,so had 3.5 hours session 11am-2.30pm uk time,traffic was not really good,few times have to wait 5-7 minutes for tourney,but still finished in money,

All in all was good week,I played 49 tournamnets and had 34$ in profit with 46% roi.
      One thing to improve this week is playing time.Last week was only 11 hrs,because I had training on friday evening and two games both saturday and sunday.On this week looks I will have more time so I hope to do at least 15 hrs.

Looking forward for comments,
      Thanks for reading :)
    • Vainis
      Vainis
      Gold
      Hey fellow lithuanian!:)

You are playing the same format as I, so it will be nice to follow your blog ;)
      Gl with your poker goals and dont forget Lithuania :)
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hey Vainis,nice to see that people interested what Im doing :)

I saw U today on one table u push with 55 I was on D with 22 ready to push,but folded after yours shove,unlucky flop man! U saved my life :) P.S. I finished that one in 4th :D

And of course I always thinking about Lithuania and poker is a long term plan to comeback home :) See U on tables
    • Vainis
      Vainis
      Gold
      I saw u too :) From now marked as red :) ) it was my first try in thys 1,5$. Played 0,25, then 0,5, 1 and know its time to own 1,5 :D
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

This week Im running bad,have lost quit a lot.Today I stopped my session after one hour,because I feeling overloaded.It looks like Im doing too much at once.Today I printed some starting hand graphs(3 different ones) trying to check all of them while playing.Of course it become a very hard to do everything and my head just saying-its too much...I know its wrong to overload myself,but Im one of those people who trying to know everything and always know what Im doing.I want to know which cards to play in EP,BTN,BB against agg,against vpip >10,against everybody in any situation-but physically I think I cant learn that so quick.It's easy to decide how to play premium draws,but I want easier actions for other profitable hands or marginals.
      So guys how U working on your starting hands(I know which ones ABC starting hands,but I want just bit more to have a bigger edge.Are U using any softwares,or just need to play play play to gain experience and everything gonna come in a reasonable time?And also who know a good odd calculations program in real time(like pot odds,equities and etc.) which give a free trial.I want at least drop few things for automatic actions
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi Mui2byr - I tried to warn you about learning too much too quickly! :f_tongue:

I would recommend for starting hands - to keep it simple for now. In early stages just open something like 77+, AQ+ from EP and MP and fold everything else. Just concentrate on learning what to open from CO, BTN, and SB for now. Don't worry about anything else except learning these default opening ranges by heart. Take your time and learn one small part of the game really well, then move on to the next part. If you can learn 2-3 parts really well - you will be way ahead of the field.

As for real-time software - I think those would be against most poker-rooms terms and conditions and could get your account blocked. Be careful on that one.
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,time for weekly update.Week was really bad.Played only 4:30 hrs and had big downswing.Was busy week outside poker,stressful days at work,trainings and other stuff,so playing time was very limited and when I was playing I havent done a good poker.So a graph for last week:

and stats:

Bad play,not beeing at tables 100% ready and this is a results of that!Hope this week Im gonna improve playing time and trying to play my A game.

Thanks for reading!
    • Vainis
      Vainis
      Gold
      It is normal to face downswings and I hope u ll be doing great this week. Good luck mate!:)
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone.Last week ended almost the same like month,so straight away Im giving you monthly update,and small conclusion of what happened.last month I had full 3 weeks:
      First week was really good everything was going well,but second and third was huge downswing(comparing with time I played).After every session I was checking what i did wrong where i did mistakes,but it lookss like I played like in first week,but I was loosing,so hopefully it was just bad luck of variance,but it was painful,so the graph ant stats of January:

Nothing to be happy for...Playing time is way behind of my minimum target,most important thing to improve,also I will need to drop down a limit because I dont have my minimum buyins number,so now Im gonna play 1$ BI,but dropping down will give me oppurtunity to mix it up between 45 and 180s so I would be able to check which one I love more.
      All in all I hope next month gonna be better than this one,I will try to improve where I need to and of course even if I have bad run-Im will not give up and trying bit harder to reach what I want.
      Thanks for reading and see U soon.
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone.Time for weekly update :)

This week was a lot of changes in my poker:I dropped limits from 1.5$ to 0.5$,also started to play 6 tables insted of 4 and also started to mix up 45mans with 180s.First of all my graphs and stats:

So,how you can see week again havent been good.There is a several reasons for that:
      1.I started 6 tables instead of 4 ,so it takes time to get used,its a way more action and time now on tables going very fast.
      2.I did few changes in my play and trying to do them all the time
      3.Beeing so unlucky on all-in showdowns

More about all-in showdowns:I did some counts on my preflop all-ins,because I just literally not winning money but feeling like playing good poker,so:Last week(without todays results) I played 2800 hands in total and in pre flop I pushed and get called or just called all-in and go for showdown in 157 hands (not counting hands when pot won or folded pre flop).In these 157 hands I was favourite(anything better than coinflip) in 88 hands,36 was coinflips and in 33 I was underdog.In total I won 62.Now everything by percents: from 157 hands I was favourite in 56% I was about equal 23%(everything between 48-52% preflop ex:33vsAK AJ vs 77 and so on) and I was underdog in 21% =total won 39.7% hands.So if i put that 36 coinflip hands in favourite and underdog(18 to in front pre flop and 18 in underdog-somenthing about 50/50) I get 157 hands with 106 fav and 51 underdog then I get that in front I was in 68% all-ins and behind in 32% all-ins and in total I won only 40% of a time.
      I did these counts because Im not winning feeling that I playing good poker using good spots,but cant win.So I was worried about that.By these counts I think I was on bad variation and getting unlucky by a luck.Can anyone say that I did a good counting on my stats and are they means was I think they means.And also about HM2 stats graph which called a $EV.I read a lot about that but still not getting it right.My $EV in all time I have a HM2(its about 2+ months show every week positive but results still going down).For example this week:

Its my January stats it was posted before.That month I had -33$,but $EV shows +145$.Its ahuge difference.I know that this stats is all-in counts,but is that means that Im winning less money that I average should win?I also think its somenthing the same by my numbers which I mentioned before-just my ones in a % and these in $.

Im looking forward for your answers.Thanks
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone!Time for weekly update.In overall all week was really good,not only in poker:
      First of all my basketball team won a nomination in Sports team of year in our county,what is in UK a big sucess(to beat football and cricket teams,because Bball in UK is not very popular)
      Second,I keep good results in gym and in my healty eating,crushing my goals more than expected.
      And finally keeping good at poker tables.This is my last week graph and stats:

Week was really good even sometimes I was feeling that Im not playing my best game.This graph and stats is mixed 45man and 180 man 0.50$,playing now 6 tables 3 on 3 mostly,only today I didn't have a good volume for 180's so I played more 45's.
      I did some changes in my game and it looks give a good comeback:started to play more loose now my Vpip is 25 for this week-last week was 19.Seeing more cheap flops,reading board better and main thing playing without fear,because I always thought that 1.5$ with my 120$ bankrool was allright,but when I dropped to 0.5$ I started to play way better,because I really dont care about money,only care about poker and that gives me profit(95% roi sounds good even its micro stakes)
      I played just over 13 hrs and had 91 tourney and the moment its best volume so far.For next week my goal is 15 hrs and 100 tourneys.
      Thanks for reading!
      Good luck on tables! :)
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,It's time for weekly update:

Thiis week I didnt spent enough time on poker,It was few reasons:O n monday after the gym a had terrible headache so I go to bed very early,tuesday is my normally shopping day and laundry,so I always coming back about 7pm and it was champion league night-Im a huge Chelsea fan so I cant miss CL game,normally if its league game Im taking my best time for poker and watching replay later,but not on CL.I played all my games on wendesday and friday,and spent all thursday day on scrolling job offers because Im looking to change job,I get pissed recently in there.Saturday and Sunday I was at work (Im doing every third weekend till 12pm) ,also on Saturday I have basketball training and on evening I have night out with my mates to watch Wedding ringer-awesome comedy I really offering to watch this one.On suday after the work I decided to take a shot in qualifiers for weekly tourneys:I qualified in Sunday storm,The hot 11$,Hotter 16.50$,but didnt make it to Sunday millions.Only in Hot 11$ I made it bit deeper,but anyway outside money-in otker two I dropped very early-one was very bad luck and other my own mistake on bad read.In total i lost in these about 20$.

So now is my graph and stats for my regular games 45s and 180s 0.5$

Nothing fancy,but like for two days playing Im happy on average time spent.Im really feel Im getting in these-even on friday I played really bad but kept in profit.This week I hope I really will have more time to play:my plan at least to play today,tomorrow,wednesday and sunday-so 12 hours as minimum.

Thank you for reading,good luck on tables! :)
    • Mui2Byr
      Mui2Byr
      Bronze
      Hello everyone :) Its time for weekly and montly update :

First of all weekly:I made my minimum goal this week played mon-thur,today I had things to do in the morning,and on 4pm Chelsea-Totte league final so I will skip todays poker.Week was breakeven so I will not gonna talk a lot about it.This is a graph for this week:

Up and down all week,and result is resonable.

Now about all month:From beggining of February I dropped my limits from 1.5$ to 0.5$ and started to mix up 45mans and 180mans in these limits.Dropping down was very good decision:Im playing now without fear,trying to use all spots,added two more tables(now 6 total,playing 3 on 3 45s-180s),so in overall many good changes happened in my poker.So there is a graph and stats of February:

Im feeling to get in my best poker step by step,trying po play as much as I resonable can.My winning is almost on 50/50 split by 45s and 180s and I really like to play them both:45man keeping me away from big swings and 180s let me to have bigger jumps in my winnings.

i have realistic goals for next month: I will have busy weekends next month so I hope at least to spendt the same time like I spended last month,maybe a bit more:I played 318 tourneys-I want to make it to 400 in March.My BR at the moment about 60$(I have a good lesson last Sunday when I lost 20+$ on mtt,what was over my BR),so no more mtt's till I will have proper br.My next step to raise limits is 150$-to do 45 man in 1.5$,so if I will have good run this month maybe I can reach it.

Good luck on tables! :)