Do you even improve, bro? Mid-stakes Fixed-Limit journey

• geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey guys!

My name is Geri, I'm the member of the Hungarian community and actively playing since the end of 2009. I started with micro SNGs and tried some CG NL and ended up playing FL. After playing for more than four years I still enjoy it and there are so many areas to improve for everyone so if you're thinking about trying it don't hesitate, with a lot of work you can be one of the best players. I also practice aikido, yoga and I enjoy going on big walks with my girlfriend and my dog. Being phisically active is very important to keep up my motivation. I daily watch videos or read arcticles or books about self improvement stuff which I really enjoy, my current favs are Anthony Robbins and Brian Tracy. I suggest you to check them out if you're interested in spiritual growth.

My goals with this blog are:

:diamond: Find players who would like to discuss all kind of topics about the game.

:spade: Make FL appealing for people.

:heart: Inspire, motivate each other.

:club: Improve my English.

I'll probably add some more goals. BRB with some hands later. :)
  • 8 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Geri,

You haven't come back yet. Any updates?

Regards

Laz
    • geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Lazza!

Thanks for asking! Unfortunately I haven't been active nowdays but I'm planning for a big comeback! In the past few days I've read some posts in the FL forum and it's really good to see that there are a few really active pople here. Hopefully things will get shaked up in the future and FL will get its glory back.

I played some really interesting hands lately:

1) BB is unknown, CO is a regular. Not sure if I should have bet/called the flop ch/raise turn though. My riverplay is also meh

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Leosztás lejátszása

$10/$20 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 8.
      MP2 raises, MP3 folds, CO 3-Bets, BU folds, Hero caps, BB calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 9, 8, 2 (4 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, MP2 folds, CO 3-Bets, Hero caps, BB calls, CO calls.

Turn: (14 BB) Q (3 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, CO calls, Hero 3-Bets, BB calls, CO calls.

River: (23 BB) Q (3 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 27 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, eights full of queens(8 8).
      BB shows two pairs, aces and queens(A A).

Hero wins with a full-house, eights full of queens(8 8).

2) In this hand CO is a regular. Not sure what to think about his calldown

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Leosztás lejátszása

$10/$20 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, J.
      Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO 3-Bets, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.5 SB) 9, 9, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets, Hero raises, CO calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets, CO calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB.
      Results follow:

CO shows a pair of nines(K Q).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and nines(A J).

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and nines(A J).
    • djchals
      djchals
      Silver
      Hi geri!

I follow you, great sharks are in pokerstrategy :)

I want to improve my mental game as you says, and be more patient but not how. In real life I am impulsive and aggressive sometimes :roto2:
    • geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

I really appreciate it! I will provide some really great videos from great speakers here so stay tuned! :)

Here's some info about my start:

I started to play FL in 2009 around July because I had a free bankroll offer which was only available if I played FL in the beginning (or I was so lame I couldn't find the NL Tab on the top of the lobby, dunno). After NL cash and SNG it was a bit strange to play FL but with the PS strating hand chart I could beat the crap out of everyone, good old times :] I quickly played enough to be able to play in some iPoker room then I moved to Mansion poker. I stayed there till the end of 2009. and it was really much fun. I was just a beginner, amazed by the loyality system, I remember I had a really big goal: cotribute enough points to buy the 1K insta cash, it was 3x% RB and I tought it's great until I read about the VIP system of Pokerstars with the fancy Supernova and Supernova elite statuses which made me think to leave the motherland and try something new. The first days were interesting, the people played differently than on iPoker but they weren't really good, at least the most of them. Took me a few weeks to find out who's a regular, for example some guys had regularish stats but had liek 29 WTSD after 400 hands. I got used to the softvare and spent the December of 2009 to grind for the Platinumstar status so I could aim for Supernova in 2010. In the next years I had side rolls in different networks but my main room was Pokerstars, made 2-3 SNs yearly. After Partygaming introduced the 3% withdrawal fee I decided to leave them and concentrate on Pokerstars and last year I reached Supernova Elite status. It was a dream since I moved to Pokerstars in 2009 and I tried it every year since 2010, but I didn't have the toughness to play enough hands and my game wasn't the best either. Even last year I didn't play for 3-4 months so I had to spend my entire year from August to grind. In that period I felt I can reach every singel goal in my life including SNE which was incredible and I want to recreate the feeling, the flow and I will try to help you to get it too! :)

Here's a great speech for the start:

• geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      Sup guys,

yesterday in the afternoon I tried a really great challange I read in the book 4 hour workweek. It basicly teaches you to be self-confident and have courage to do things that some people won't like, or won't agree with you. The challange was really simple: go to a crowded place and lay down on the ground. Stay there for 10-20 seconds then wake up and continue your day like nothing has happened. I brought a blanket cause it's cold outside and I went to the main square of my city where I put the blanket on the ground, laid there for 20-30 seconds, woke up, folded the blanket I left. When I was reaching to the place I knew I will lay I was a bit frightened but when I finished the thing I was smiling and felt really happy inside. It really took some courage but it's definitely doable. There were some people who stopped and were looking at me, some smiling, some were laughing but it didn't bother me at all. I really recommend it to everyone, it's a fun and free way to build confidence. There's only one rule: go alone for the first few times cause it's a lot more challanging. I tried with with my girlfriend two days ago and it wasn't scary at all that way. You can do it in a Starbucks or in a crowded night club aswell. I'm looking forward to do more of this kind of challanges so if you know any please let me know! :)

PS: if someone asks you why did you lay down just tell them: "I was tired and I just took a little nap".
    • geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey mengs,

I was thinking about some issues about my game. Lets say I'm BB, BU is a reg.

BU raises, SB folds, Hero calls

Flop: :4d: :5h: :9s:

Hero checks, BU bets, Hero raises, BU calls

My range here is something like this:
      44+, A9s, A5s, A9o, A5o, K9s, K5s, K9o, K5o, Q9s, Q5s, Q9o, Q5o, JhTh, JdTd, JsTs, J9s, Jh8h, Jd8d, Js8s, Jh7h, Jd7d, Js7s, Jh6h, Jd6d, Js6s, J5s, Jh3h, Jd3d, Js3s, J9o, J5o, T9s, Th8h, Td8d, Ts8s, Th7h, Td7d, Ts7s, Th6h, Td6d, Ts6s, T5s, T9o, 95s+, 96o+, 86s+, 86o+, 76s, 76o, 54s, 32s

Turn: :7c:

On this turn most of my range will be pair+ so if I bet 100% my range will be super valueheavy. Some people are starting to donkcheck here which completely makes sense but it's hard for me to construct all my ranges. At the moment I'm here:

Group 1 is cbet for value
      Group 2 is cbet as bluff
      Group 3 is check/calling
      Group 4 is check/raising for value
      Group 5 is check/raising as bluff

The percenteges are far from optimal I know. Let me know if you have any ideas how to solve the problem. :)
    • Anomic
      Anomic
      Bronze
      Hey, I never tried FL but I have some idea about and want to ask if this is correct.

Isn't it basically solved, is it hard to get action from people you have an edge on?
      Isn't it annoying that you can't bet as much as you want, don't people always have pot odds to keep calling draws?

Really noob questions :f_p:

Oh and why did you make the switch from NL to FL?
    • geri8806
      geri8806
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Anomic!

FL is solved by the bot named Cepheus, at least in a GTO way, but on our level of thinking there are lots of misteries (on my level at least :) ). There are enough people to play against if you grind 2-3 different stakes.

It's not annoying, as a matter of fact the fix betsizes make the game more interesting. Since you can bet a little people will have the odds to call, but to raise and 3bet aswell, which creates a lot more action than in NL games for example. In most of the hands someone will see the flop and if you raise and someone 3bets you never fold, not like in games where you have betsizes and someone can go all-in and you can "play" only a small part of your range.

I played NL when I was a complete beginner, then I had some free money which I could use to play FL games in the beginning and I was really good at it compared to my opponents. I haven't really considered to switch to any other game since then.