One interesting hand that I saw in the evaluation forums. I hope you also will find it interesting!

Originally posted by Pkrpains
PokerStars - $8+$0.80|1000/2000 Ante 200 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 88.35 BB (VPIP: 21.21, PFR: 21.21, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 33)
UTG: 38.9 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 12)
UTG+1: 27.13 BB (VPIP: 9.09, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
MP: 48.77 BB (VPIP: 25.81, PFR: 22.58, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 31)
MP+1: 15.12 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
CO: 21.87 BB (VPIP: 8.33, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
BTN: 35.41 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 50.00, 3Bet Preflop: 50.00, Hands: 2)
Hero (SB): 21.87 BB

8 players post ante of 0.1 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.3 BB) Hero has A:heart: Q:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB, fold

Flop: (5.8 BB, 2 players) 9:spade: 9:heart: 4:heart:
Hero checks, CO bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Turn: (9.8 BB, 2 players) 5:heart:
Hero checks, CO checks

River: (9.8 BB, 2 players) 6:spade:
Hero checks, CO bets 3 BB

3bet shove pre is standard here, right? But he looked really right at that point and if I remember correctly, this was a bubble phase. I thought that by flatting I keep all his hands that I dominate and can get value from on the flop in his range, also BB looked to be aggressive, so I could induce a squeeze there which I would obviously call.

On the flop we have to float there I think.

River, is it sensible here to x/shove holding the Ah?
Did I make a huge mistake there by not 3bet shoving pre?

Preflop:

Villains

Villain is basicly unknown. We got only 12 hands for him. We can't say that is is tight. That is a thing about the stats, when you got a small sample that can in fluent your decision. He is playing second hand for 13 hands. He is from late position. He can be aggressive player. We have to small sample to put label of villains. Its better to treat him like unknown.
For BB we got more hands. For him we can say that he is not tight player for sure. We can say about his tendentious that he is going to be often an aggressive player.

Call or 3-bet ?

Our of position in this spot I don't like calling our hand. Its going to be hard for us to play it post flop. Also BB can get in the hand. Its going to be even harder post flop against two players post flop. Its definitely plus that BB is on the aggressive site so with call we can induce a shove with wider range when we just flat. If we had KK+ I was definitely going to flat. Even QQ is a fine option for flatting here but hands like AQ and AK which are very strong but play poorly post flop I prefer to get it in pre. The call pre with our hand is not that bad of an option but playing it aggressively pre is definitely better IMO.

Small 3-bet or 3-bet shove?

Now about which option to chose, 3-bet or 3-bet shove. On higher limit or here with the info that villain is a good reg I will always chose the 3-bet option. I don't think he is going to flat that often. IMO he is going to shove or fold more often. Against good players I definitely prefer to make a small 3-bet (2.7x). They are going to push wide range because often they are going to think we are exploiting the bubble. Also if they call they are going to call with a lot of hands that we dominate. If they are flatting a looot 3-bets than I would shove because they are going to have a lot of live cards against us which got more that 35% equity. Against unknown player on this limit I'm just going to shove. There are weaker hands calling us and even if we are ahead post flop we are not going to get a lot of value out of position if we flat. So small 3-bet or shove are much better choice than the flat pre IMO.

And about the post flop play:

The easy staff:

I like call one time on the flop for sure on this board. Its mandatory call, especially with the ace of hearts.
On the turn there is no need to donk. Just check and evaluate is fine.

And the tough river!

On the river is the tricky part. To call or not to call his small bet ? I would definitely call there. I can't see a lot of hands taking villains line that beats us. Yes, he can be scared from the heart on the turn and checking some made hands on the turn. But his river bet is small. He is giving us good odds also he is not going to bet over pair that small often of value. On this board the thing that beat us and villain can play this way are (the most common ones of course, he can also show quads there but obviously its going to happen very rarely) :

From them TT+ are not that often in his range because often he is going to bet the turn with them or a bit bigger on the river. I don't think villain is often going to value bet A5 there. A6 is a bit of a hand that if he got we can't do nothing. If he hit the river, so be it. With 87 he can easily bet the turn again or even if he don't bet the turn he is going to bet bigger on the river. Of course he can show everyone of this hand think value betting when when we call but we need to win this hand only in 19% of the times to call profitably in the long run. Thats why call is fine here. Definitely I'm not happy to do it but its OK for sure.

What can I learn from this hand?

Against which opponents to make a small 3-bet and against which to shove in similar spots.
Based on what we should make hero calls on the river in similar spots.

And few questions to think about :
-What is your pushing range preflop?
-Do you think in real life villains call pushes too tight? ?

Must-See Content for this hand:
Saturday Splash MTT win review - part 1
Saturday Splash MTT win review - part 2

Cheers guys!
8-)