Variance in 45 man SNG's thoughts?

• iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hi, from people that have played these over decent samples (5k+?) and are winning players, can you tell me what you think of the variance in 45 man sngs generally. I have just started playing them and want to try to develop my ROI.

If you are a decent player and have a decent roi in these (what ever that may be) - how likely would you expect to win or lose, over say 100 games?

I'm playing the smallest right now, 0.25 45 mans, so assume this will help my variance as I will have more of an edge over the field.

Your thoughts appreciated, i've read that 1k breakeven stretches are to be expected, which i find hard to believe? http://www.deucescracked.com/forums/25-Tournament-Poker/topics/488181-45-man-variance

the reason i moved to 45mans is because i was getting sick of variance in regular stars mtts, thanks!
  • 15 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Meh, I would say 1k BE stretches should happen and it's nothing out of the ordinary. ROI's are gonna be high, but so will be the variance. At the lower stakes, I assume 5-10k should already show whether you are winning or not, but still-EV and EV ROI could have a big gap between themselves. I've grinded myself 6-max,9-max and 18-players and variance was relatively high. So I expect 45 to bring even more of it at the tables.

-As for the 100 games example, I think you can 100% go win/lose/BE no matter how good you are. It's no sample at all.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      thanks kurk:f_drink:
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Cheers, mate :)
    • Crrrrrrr
      Crrrrrrr
      Bronze
      Check this out if you want to see probabilities of downswings.

http://www.deucescracked.com/blogs/basemetal/92141-45-Seat-Calculated-Downswing-Probability-Graphs

"These graphs indicate the chances of hitting certain sized swings. The plots show the chance of this sized swing or greater. For example if you play 9 seat SnGs with a 5% roi there is a 54% chance of seeing a 60BI or greater swing in 5000 games. This means in your next 5000 games there is 54% chance you will see a 60, or 65, or 95, or 1000BI swing. Seeing a 65BI swing means you will have had a 60BI one. You can look at it from the other perspective and say that (100 – 54)% = 46% of the time in the next 5000 game block you will not see a swing as big as 60BI’s."
      http://www.deucescracked.com/blogs/basemetal/96441-Links-to-Downswing-Probability-Graphs
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      thanks crrr i cant really understand them graphs =/ thanks for posting though!
    • Crrrrrrr
      Crrrrrrr
      Bronze
      ahah.

If you take the graph for 45-man SnGs with a ROI of 20% :

After playing 1000 games, there are ~76% of chance that at some point during those 1000 games, you had a downswing of >= 40BI. 50% of chance that you had a downswing of >=50BI.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      ah thanks man i think i get it now.

does this mean looking at same chart if you play 100 games, there's ~ 10% chance you'll lose >=40bis :f_o:
    • Crrrrrrr
      Crrrrrrr
      Bronze
      yup :f_frown:
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      wow thanks, learning is going nicely here! :) :f_drink:
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      in hardgeus' guide on 2p2 he played 750 and had maximum downswing of 11 buyins i think and he was using this as basis of his bankroll management suggestions, so either he was just running good with variance, or his style was less variance prone - i guess this also comes into it. Two 20% players could both play different styles one is more variance than the other
    • Vainis
      Vainis
      Gold
      I started to play 45's this year and now have a little graph. It is 0,25 0,5 1 and 1,5$ graph. My biggest down was 28BI by playing 1,5 as u know it is turbos so I think I am lucky with only 28BI down :) And my ROI is ~20.

Like in the begining I am facing STOP point. Not going up, but still not down :)
      I hope it will be helpful for u somehow.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Vainis thanks this is very helpful I've been playing 0.25's and doing well but very small sample 125 games (normal speed) and i'm getting kinda petrified of suddenly hitting a 50bi downswing or something. With your graph and also the 2p2 Hardgeus thread I am going to put those thoughts out of my mind and just play on. I tend to pass up small edges to avoid difficult spots - so hopefully this helps with the variance. Thanks mate.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Also if you want to study together sometime that would be great! as we play similar format, maybe in a bit when i have more experience with 1's under my belt? My last 4 games are 1's in graph rest are 0.25's.

• Vainis
      Vainis
      Gold
      It would be cool!:) Be free to write me when u'll get a little bigger sample ;) It is always better to work with someone. Just one thing, my english is not in the best shape but I am working with it :D
    • MindVala
      MindVala
      Bronze
      :f_drink: