Studying how other regs are playing

• NutzAreOk
      I know this might be a pretty wide question but hope to get some advices and points where to focus. I really have not ever done any studying what comes to other regular players game and I`m not sure where to start and I think this is something I need to do because usually those fifty50 SnGs are full of regs and very often there comes some battles against them.

So, if I want to search some regs from my database and see how they play, where should I start? And should I focus more on how they have played against me specifically or just how they tend to play usually?

Thanks in advance.
  • 4 replies
    • Srmotim
      I found this video pretty useful, and is the way i current study every reg, making a detailed and personalized report.
    • Rufus433
      There are endless possibilities how to explore your own database, click my reports in PT4 (from your blog graphs i suspect you are using PT4). You can go few ways there. Choose all players report or hand report.

1) All players report - it will give you stats on every opponent you have faced at the tables, you can add dif stats from menu on left side. If you want to look at more specific situations, for example, look at your opponent stats when they are 10-15bb deep, you click more filters -> add filters -> hand details -> pot size and stack depth and you put in stack sizes you want to look and it will show stats only about hands what meets your filter. Play around with it and you will get a feeling how you can filter out the things you need. If you have huge database several mil hands, use date filter, because you will need good pc to work comfortably here as it needs to filter out a lot of data and as game and tendencies change quite quickly you don't want outdated data, lets say 1 year ago. Even the worst regs will change their game in that time span.

I would suggest to start out with this, get some feeling about your opponents game and then if you discover anything interesting or you are not sure about if your filters have filtered the stuff you wanted to, you need to create new report only this time Hand report with the same filters you used in all players report.

Hand report could be a bit more beneficial to you if you are determined to write notes and take closer look at other regs games, as you can use these filters again to sort out dif situations (stack sizes, blind level and other stuff you like) to look at dif players hands you need to change players in top part of that menu.

This is very time consuming work and at the beginning it may not be the best way to learn, but if you are at the level when you feel that this will give the biggest edge over your opponents go ahead. There are also some guides and videos about this database work out there, so check PT homepage or google it. Remember that this also very good way to compere your own game to others and find your own mistakes.

I hope this will help you.
    • NutzAreOk
      This already opened my eyes a lot. Thank you! :f_smile:
    • kurrkabin
      Hi all!
      On top of what's been said, I would also suggest using Holdem Hand range visualizer! Super useful tool, at least for my games(HU hypers), you can find by clicking on statistics-report(top left).