The real use of a tracking software

• vasilis013
      vasilis013
      Basic
      Hello everyone,

Although i am a member in this forum for lots of months i was hesitant to write something because i was hopeless with my game and didn't believe that i could improve.I finally changed my mind though when i stopped being afraid of failure and i think i should try harder so i decided to make a new deposit in stars and download the pokertracker hoping for some better results.I would like you to guide me and if possible make a thread here for the appropriate use of a tracking software ( hopefully this might help other people as well).I would like to focus on cash games so i am searching for ideas on how to improve my game with its use.

So i am waiting to see a schedule you recommend for a beginner that would explain:

>the use of a tracking software before a session (if used)
      >the use of it during a session e.g. a proper hud (explain which stats you chose and why)
      >the use of it after a session (i think this is the most important and it is the main reason i am making this post so i expect details on hand reviewing,hand analysis,graphs and reports)

Finally any ideas are welcome
      Thank you Vasilis
  • 6 replies
    • vasilis013
      vasilis013
      Basic
      If not interested in this post could someone tell me if there is any similar topic ?
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vasilis013
      If not interested in this post could someone tell me if there is any similar topic ?
      Ask mother google. Will help for sure! :f_thumbsup:
    • vasilis013
      vasilis013
      Basic
      Ask what? ?(
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi Vasilis,

Sorry that I didn't get back to you earlier.

We do have a few videos on HUDs, but they all seem to require a higher status. W34z3l made a video about that last year during his 6-max walkthrough, and he invited his viewers to post screenshots of their HUDs in the discussion thread (starting around here), so maybe you can take a look around and see if you can find something useful.

The most basic values that virtually any HUD contains are VPIP and PFR, which describe your opponent's preflop behavior. Other basic values include their ATS (attempts to steal) and Fold vs 3-Bet, which are useful when you're contemplating a resteal or blind defense, and their Fold to Steal and 3-Bet%, which are useful if you're considering stealing yourself. My own HUD also includes mouseover stats about their raising/stealing behavior from any particular position. It may also be useful to include stats about 4-betting or their Fold to 4-bet%, if you're facing tricky opponents.

The most basic postflop stats include their C-betting behavior and their Fold to 3-bet%, but my own HUD actually includes these stats for all three streets. A more basic way of including information about their behavior on later streets would be their WTSD% (went to showdown). It is debatable whether or not the W$SD% (won money at showdown) is useful, I personally don't include it. If you want to add some more advanced stats, you can add some about their donkbetting, their likelihood to float and their behavior out of position.

Obviously, it is also important to include information about how many hands are recorded, otherwise you'd have no idea how reliable your stats are.

I personally don't use my tracking software before the beginning of a session, I'm not aware of any preparation techniques. When it comes to session reviews, you should basically take a look at any hand that made you wonder if you played correctly, and then post it for discussion if you're still not sure. A common advice is to focus on big winning and big losing hands, but I have heard that it might actually make more sense to look at more "typical" hands, that describe your more basic play. So it might also be a good idea to post some hands for discussion or review if you think you did everything correctly, just to see if there are any leaks in your typical play.

I hope this was helpful, but feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      I suggest to learn the meaning of each stat available on hud and how they corelate with each other. This is all explained in HUD home sites or can be found on google, or manuals. And then you will understand what you need and what not. Yes this will take some time from you, but there is stuff what is needed to understand. (here comes learning stuff into your brain by itself) :)
    • vasilis013
      vasilis013
      Basic
      Hello Harrier88 and AlvisR,

Thanks for your posts,what i was searching for was information on how reports,statistics,graphs,database should be used in order to improve my game for either short-term or long-term results (if i should them after a session and how or if i should use them after a month of play)