Just had to say.....

• hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Recently watched a video about making more from the button, I have only won one hand from the button ever as all other hands have been weak low to middle numbers usually off suit, maybe it happens on pokerstars but not where I play that said most videos are from pokerstars (I have to use pokerstars UK platform which doesn't load on my machine) oh and one more thing AK is not strong there are only three scenarios where AK can win and they all rely on other cards plus if your on a 10 player table then it's almost certain someone has AA or another AK yes I agree it's theoretically strong card for card but in practice it doesn't happen that way.
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      I have only won one hand from the button ever
      Hi, hardlife66
      Out of how many hands?

I stand amazed that in your entire poker career, the blinds have not once both folded to your open raise.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
      VS
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
      VS
      Just the loose troll meandering about.
    • LeoN4rdo
      LeoN4rdo
      Basic
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      oh and one more thing AK is not strong there are only three scenarios where AK can win and they all rely on other cards plus if your on a 10 player table then it's almost certain someone has AA or another AK yes I agree it's theoretically strong card for card but in practice it doesn't happen that way.
      If you are talking about cash game, AK is pretty good cards for squeezing, if squeezing won't work, any ace or king on the board still will give you top pair with top kicker.
      Anyway you should play more hands before judge AK :f_drink:
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi hardlife,

The reason why you can win more from the Button is because you will always have position on your opponents postflop, which is always an advantage, so I don't really see why you are even talking about hand strength here...
      Remember that your opponents will know that they are out of position if they are in the blinds, so they will need a good reason to get involved if the button raises (they may have a strong value hand, they may try to resteal, etc).

Also keep in mind that you don't always need a good hand to win, as you can also take the pot down without a showdown.

In case you haven't already, you can read more about this in the articles on Position and Reasons to make a Bet.

About the probabilities: AK is in the top 5% of all possible starting hands and has a 66% chance to win against any random hand. The chance that anyone out of ten players will receive KK or better is about 0.9%, ignoring blockers (people are less likely to hold AA if you're holding AK, since you have one of the four aces in the deck yourself).

Besides, the reason AK is considered a strong hand is not only its absolute strength (poker is always about relative strength), but also its ability to dominate, or playability. If, for example, the flop contains an ace and you're holding AK, you are more likely to get paid off if your opponent has AJ than if he has any random junk. And if the board is ugly and you're sure that AK won't have a good chance to win, you can still get away relatively cheaply.

You can read more about it in our article on Playability.
    • bolosm
      bolosm
      Bronze
      [Edited by VorplaF2F]
      Hi, bolosm,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com forums!

As you can see, I've edited your post. If you have a look at our forum principles you'll notice that we don't allow links to non-affiliated poker rooms.

All the best,
      VS
    • Post removed

• hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Sorry guys, I don't have the time to play hundreds/thousands of hands to let the good and bad hands even out so I guess I can't give an accurate account of things, just to recap the AK moan above, I've been playing on and off since Oct 2014 and AK suited or off suited, for me wins about 20% of the time not that I get it dealt very often anyway and quite often someone is holding AA even when the other A is in the flop especially in a tournament.
      I've now had it the other way round with me having AA and someone else having AK and I won.
      "I've only ever won one hand on the button" is correct most hands I win are in late position.
      Sorry VorpalF2F, I can't remember if the blinds folded but yes I've only ever won once because I only had a picture card once on the button and I managed to win with 2 pair.
      Harrier88, I agree with you but I've yet to experience it in practice.