Getting solid!

• gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Getting back!

Hey fellas! My name is Gatis. I will try not to make very long introduction here :f_biggrin: This challenge will be focused mainly on 2 things which are poker of course and my addiction - bodybuilding. I might throw some additional stuff like diet and so in here since im trying to gain some weight now. Its winter and i can be fat :D

Regarding to poker - last summer i was playing nl50 zoom which seemed quite okayish although i was losing regular -2bb/100. Sample wasn't huge but still it shows that with decent work on my game limit will be duable. This challenge will include small bankroll challenge, but i guess i wont focus on it too much. Will mention it later on tho.
      Right now im one of the w34z3ls student if we might call it like that. He showed me already some of my weak points which im trying to fix right now. Planning to get some more coachings from him in February. Im playing nl10 for like 2 weeks already although im rolled for nl25 pretty good (its actually almost for nl50) :D As i said already to one of my friends - im spewing for cheaper moneyz right now. Wont go too much into graphs and other stuff right now. Smallish monthly goals will be to play;

:diamond: At least 50k hands,
      :diamond: Not ignore HEM after session,
      :diamond: Don't break my monitor,
      :diamond: And of course watching vids, putting pressure on HE forum coaches blah blah blah.

Back to lovely thing. I mean muscle thing. I'm still clean so it wont be as easy as i would like to, but im planning this year to add on my strength parameters quite massively. Im not trying to say when you go to "shop" bodybuilding becomes easy and muscles start growing by minutes. It still requires shit ton of work, proper meals etc. Also coach is giving some advices to me so it should be fine. We are working together when he is not lazy :D At the moment im training 4 times a week. Feeling pretty good and wont change my schedule any time soon. What regards to this challenge i wont mention how much kilos i want to add to my squats, deadlifts and so on but they are round numbers :D It will come with hard work, proper food and patience. However the biggest goal for now is to gain weight. Haven't reached 100kgs bodyweight yet so this is main goal for now! Damn little boy :(

I guess that should be enough for the beginning. I would be really glad if some of "iron lovers" will give some feedback. Maybe write how are they doing etc.

So the main thing why i decided to start writing and doing this challenge is becoming a solid nl50 reg until June of this year. This is doable for sure and the time limit for it seems reasonable also. We might even say - it has small reserve.

See you guys soon! Its time to drink some protein cocktail! :coolface:
  • 47 replies
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      best wishes dude staying mentally strong for watever comes at you! u can do it all as long as your mind will stay at the right place! ;)

as for roids, stay off that shit, they will rape your brain...
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vuciitis
      best wishes dude staying mentally strong for watever comes at you! u can do it all as long as your mind will stay at the right place! ;)

as for roids, stay off that shit, they will rape your brain...
      I will be braindead? :spit:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey gAsheks,

As you are planning a bankroll challenge and have nice goals to aim for, you should consider entering a couple of our forum promotions.

We have our Get Rich or Die Tryin' promotion as well as Goal-Getter Also you could win an iPad mini. :f_biggrin:

GL at the tables :gl:

Laz
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey gAsheks,

As you are planning a bankroll challenge and have nice goals to aim for, you should consider entering a couple of our forum promotions.

We have our Get Rich or Die Tryin' promotion as well as Goal-Getter Also you could win an iPad mini. :f_biggrin:

GL at the tables :gl:

Laz
      Thanks for letting me know! I will check that stuff out tomorrow! Kinda late already here :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      woooo, go go go :s_biggrin:
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      woooo, go go go :s_biggrin:
      Lets crush! :f_drink:
    • mysteryman21
      mysteryman21
      Platinum
      Good luck!!!!!!:s_love:
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Good evening!

Decided to drop small review of today. I guess i played pretty well. There were mistakes made of course, but i think there wont be a single day without a mistake. Wasn't planning to brag around how much BIs i made or anything, just wanted to say that played 3.2k hands which is reasonable. It was still nl10 tho. Almost 200 VPPs so its not that bad overall. In December there were dreams flying around in my mind about getting SUPERNOVA this year, but i decided that i will leave this dream for later period. I'm not saying that im throwing it out of my mind, but i will focus on my game a bit more than just putting pure volume. Maybe i will put VPPs counter on this challenge later on if i decide :)

I would like to ask opinion about 1 hand. Villain seemed like a regular over really small sample. If i remember correctly he was blocked from search too. The plan with check/raise was to start putting pressure on his overpairs if board cripples. What you think about betting cards like 9, 7? I guess J fits in same category too? Whats villains holding might be when he does this thing? :D

$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem

Stacks:
      UTG Player4 ($10.55) 106bb
      UTG+1 Player5 ($12.95) 130bb
      CO Player6 ($16.31) 163bb
      BTN Player1 ($10.10) 101bb
      SB gAsheks ($21.80) 218bb
      BB Player3 ($34.85) 349bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) gAsheks is SB
      4 folds, gAsheks raises to $0.30, Player3 raises to $1, gAsheks calls $0.70

Flop: ($2, 2 players)
      gAsheks checks, Player3 bets $1.10, gAsheks raises to $3.35, Player3 goes all-in $33.85, gAsheks folds

I would like to say small thanks to Fitage588 for giving opinion about few hands.

Btw what happened to hand evaluation coaches? Are they drunk? :coolface: No1 is evaluating hands for like 2 days....

Wanted to mention that i planned to make somewhat easy day for chest. It kinda was, but im really done now. Trying to improve my cardio lately. Walking quite intensively twice a week now for around 30-40 minutes. Also it should help with removing lactic acid (not sure i translated it correctly) from my body.

Today i found this mix. I really enjoyed it. There were only like 2 songs which were meh....

I'm already waiting for tomorrow. Leg day :f_love: Most people love to train chest, but im addicted to legs and back. Chest is my weak part. Thats why im training it twice a week now. Should be reasonable till summer i guess.

Hmm, hopefully i didn't missed anything i wanted to mention. See ya fellas! GL at the tables!

And yes, thanks Mysteryman for kind words.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Solid goals bro, 100kg of muscle :s_o: that sounds like pretty serious stuff but I'm sure you can make it.
      I have recently scouted a gym and think I might get back into lifting the heavy things :s_thumbsup: This wouldn't be as full-on as your commitment but I am thinking of drafting a three day split. If I drew something up, do you think you'd be able to take a glance at it?

Same poker goals too, I'll see you at NL50 :s_drink:
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasochisticDesire
      Solid goals bro, 100kg of muscle :s_o: that sounds like pretty serious stuff but I'm sure you can make it.
      I have recently scouted a gym and think I might get back into lifting the heavy things :s_thumbsup: This wouldn't be as full-on as your commitment but I am thinking of drafting a three day split. If I drew something up, do you think you'd be able to take a glance at it?

Same poker goals too, I'll see you at NL50 :s_drink:
      Definitely can take a look. Whats your plan? 3 times a week?

Yea, see you there :f_drink:
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Take a course to this ship port, captain!

Almost 3 at night here, but still im not calm. Kinda proud of myself because im putting effort to reach my goals. Volume is reasonably good so far. The only thing that doesn't seem improving from few things that w34z3l mentioned is flop cbet raise %. I got the basics in my mind when i should do it, but that doesn't seem happening. Maybe its sample or variance. Thinking about throwing few examples on paper, that might help.

Leg day felt really awesome. After 3 exercises i was walking through gym like 80 year old lady. I just found something. What do you think guys, should i try this out?

No sleeping yet! Time to eat some chicken!
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Guys, do you like sound from violin? This just takes me to another galaxy!

Played a bit less today. Results wise - happy! The thing with playing less was that my girlfriend was a bit upset. Decided to spent a bit more time with her. I guess its time to start thinking about Valentines present. Maybe any suggestions?

Decided to show one hand. Wasn't sure about my play but it worked. His 3bet is slightly over 7%, but squeeze is 30(10). I would really appreciate if someone could give advanced math advice about this case.

$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem

Stacks:
      UTG Player4 ($9.84) 98bb
      UTG+1 Player5 ($10) 100bb
      CO gAsheks ($10.20) 102bb
      BTN Player1 ($11.73) 117bb
      SB Player2 ($16.50) 165bb
      BB Player3 ($11.58) 116bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) gAsheks is CO
      2 folds, gAsheks raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Player2 calls $0.25, Player3 raises to $1.35, gAsheks goes all-in $10.20, Player2 folds, Player3 folds

No night grinding for today. Planning to get up earlier tomorrow and grind few sessions before training. I guess i have tested enough nl10 so probably from February will switch to nl25 again. Few improvements have been made on my game so should be fine. Its poker, you never know :f_cool:
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      hmm, pot size squeeze from player OOP is still gunna lean towards a very strong range at NL10, in my experience at least.

However, even if villain has a fair number of bluffs in this spot (not altogether unlikely given the trends appearing in their stats) by 4b jamming you allow villain to fold everything you do have good equity against and only call you with a range that crushes you. When was the last time you saw a player @NL10 who isn't an obvious fish stack off with worse then KK+ and AKs? Regs just call off pre very, very tight. This may lead you to think that 88 is a good hand to jam as a bluff. I would disagree, as - you hold no blockers - SB is yet to act - betting 102bb to win 19.5bb requires you to win 84% (this is assuming you never win the AI if called, evidently this is not the case though you are certain to be a long way behind) [bet/bet+pot = 16%. 100-16 = 84%]

However, I also understand why you might be hesitant to call the 3b, as, although we may have fair equity vs his range, realizing our expectation can be difficult with hands such as 88 that play poorly post-flop. Still, I think this infinitely better then jamming. Ultimately, however, I think this is close between calling and folding and that decision is based on what we suspect of the SB. If we have reason to believe that the SB is loose-passive then I think we can justify calling here and hope the SB also calls giving us fair pot odds to set-mine and play IP vs the blinds. If SB is anything other then the above then I think simply folding is fine.

Just my 5 cents.
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasochisticDesire
      hmm, pot size squeeze from player OOP is still gunna lean towards a very strong range at NL10, in my experience at least.

However, even if villain has a fair number of bluffs in this spot (not altogether unlikely given the trends appearing in their stats) by 4b jamming you allow villain to fold everything you do have good equity against and only call you with a range that crushes you. When was the last time you saw a player @NL10 who isn't an obvious fish stack off with worse then KK+ and AKs? Regs just call off pre very, very tight. This may lead you to think that 88 is a good hand to jam as a bluff. I would disagree, as - you hold no blockers - SB is yet to act - betting 102bb to win 19.5bb requires you to win 84% (this is assuming you never win the AI if called, evidently this is not the case though you are certain to be a long way behind) [bet/bet+pot = 16%. 100-16 = 84%]

However, I also understand why you might be hesitant to call the 3b, as, although we may have fair equity vs his range, realizing our expectation can be difficult with hands such as 88 that play poorly post-flop. Still, I think this infinitely better then jamming. Ultimately, however, I think this is close between calling and folding and that decision is based on what we suspect of the SB. If we have reason to believe that the SB is loose-passive then I think we can justify calling here and hope the SB also calls giving us fair pot odds to set-mine and play IP vs the blinds. If SB is anything other then the above then I think simply folding is fine.

Just my 5 cents.
      Hey man! Thanks for sharing thoughts. I wasn't thinking too much about SB in this case. He shouldn't have like QQ+ and with some other hands he will have hard time calling anyways. If BB is squeezing all type of broadways his range has around 53% vs my 88. Obviously he cant call off hands like AJo, AQo etc. which are a shit ton in his range. Also weaker holdings like QJo maybe and so on. Since he seem to be squeeze happy he might have hands like T8s in his squeezing range in which case we don't give him a chance to see a flop and realise his equity. After our jam maybe he can fold hands up to Jacks which is also good. And our postflop game wont be easy. There will be overcards most of the time and we will face large bets even his range should be wide.
      I remember some time ago i was speaking with someone discussing this topic. There is certain % when this starts becoming profitable. I mean if guy is crazy squeezer. Sadly there is no hand evaluations so will have to ask somebody privately.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      In essence, mate, situation = calling > jamming because ...
      we have good equity vs villains squeeze range and bad equity vs villains 3b/stack-off range = calling > jamming unless we can fold out more than 84% of his squeezing range -

Approximation of ranges - If villains stack-off range is 2% (QQ+, AK) then he would need to be squeezing here with a range of 12% before 4bet jamming = auto profit. This seems high to me but is certainly possible. However, even assuming a 12% range, by 4betting you still miss the opportunity to realize your positive expectation vs villains (probably polarized) squeezing range.

Ultimately, I think there is a very strong argument that you will make more profit in these spots calling rather then jamming (though the latter might not be 'bad.')

SB is definitely worth consideration in this spot regardless of whether you chose to 4b or call. Though unlikely, SB could cold-call strong hands if they also suspect BB of squeezing too much.

Interesting discussion.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      with 88 you actually have a not so bad amount of equity (i think its actually over 30%) when called by QQ+,AK so the fold equity required should be significantly lower. i probably call the sqz but shoving shouldn't be a huge mistake against this guy and could easily be better (we only have weak reads)
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      You're giving good reasons for calling! However im not sure we always win the stack if we hit because of his wide range. Also we don't know about his tendencies. Is he broadway heavy? Maybe he also has some suited connectors/gappers? Since on this limit people are folding way too much he might be doing this really wide. And whats our plan for later streets? We call at least one street and then fold to barreling? It will be tough even on low board textures i think.

Originally posted by Tomaloc
      with 88 you actually have a not so bad amount of equity (i think its actually over 30%) when called by QQ+,AK so the fold equity required should be significantly lower. i probably call the sqz but shoving shouldn't be a huge mistake against this guy and could easily be better (we only have weak reads)
      Thats what i was thinking. I'm not sure how it looks in his eyes tho... What do you think? More nutted or AK type hand?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i think it looks weak. that said, since it's hard to know what that "weak" looks like, you might not always be weak and it's pretty much a huge overbet, he has little incentive to be calling hands like KQ/AJ/whatever garbage he likes squeezing with.
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Hey guys!
      Decided to play some nl25 already and don't wait till February although its really close already :) So it was 3 sessions, first two seemed okayish although in the first one was kinda strange. Maybe because of changing limit. 3rd one was kinda meh. Guys were hitting pretty hard :D There were few spots where i was unsure what to do. Overall game plan seem to be improved after getting few coachings from w34z3l.

One of the hands....So i decided to bluff vs MP and completely unknown guy calls me and then:

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Holdem

Stacks:
      UTG Player4 ($7.22) 29bb
      UTG+1 Player5 ($82.93) 332bb
      CO Player6 ($25.82) 103bb
      BTN gAsheks ($47.84) 191bb
      SB Player2 ($34.72) 139bb
      BB Player3 ($30.88) 124bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 6 players) gAsheks is BTN
      1 fold, Player5 raises to $0.75, 1 fold, gAsheks raises to $2.30, 1 fold, Player3 calls $2.05, Player5 calls $1.55

Flop: ($7.00, 3 players)
      Player3 bets $6.68, Player5 folds, my face

At this point i guess i have to make decision for whole hand. With AK it would be way easier. What would be your play guys?

On this hand i saw that MP is overfolding to 3bets and CO seemed 3bet happy. Also CO is folding to 4bets reasonably well. Good opportunity for us to bluff?

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG Player4 ($123.31) 493bb
      UTG+1 Player5 ($26.37) 105bb
      CO Player6 ($31.76) 127bb
      BTN Player1 ($29.89) 120bb
      SB gAsheks ($37.38) 150bb
      BB Player3 ($12.50) 50bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 6 players) gAsheks is SB
      1 fold, Player5 raises to $0.62, Player6 raises to $2.30, 1 fold, gAsheks raises to $5.20, 1 fold, Player5 folds, Player6 raises to $9.40, what the hell to do???

What are we putting villain on? Mostly nutted hand and giving me an opportunity to jam it?

Slightly disappointed about todays results even tho losses are not big. Couple coolers here and there you know. :) Such small problems wont stop us!!!

Regarding to training - im not sure how to say it properly in english so will have to take google translator in help! Tonight i woke up and my left leg was in sever cramps...?? I hope you understand what i mean, if someone could write how to say this properly :thinking: Walking is pretty painful. Especially if i sit for like 30 minutes and then stand up. I'm not sure how tomorrows training will succeed, but im going for it. Maybe will do some small changes in my plans.

See ya fellas! Updates coming soon...