This is a hand posted by member hellaspapas at the end of December. It created good discussion, and I think it deserves a little deeper look. Here is the original post:

PokerStars - $0.05 PL Hi FAST (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4:

BTN: 283 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
SB: 106.2 BB (VPIP: 13.73, PFR: 3.92, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 51)
Hero (BB): 100 BB
UTG: 99 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
MP: 101.6 BB (VPIP: 60.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
CO: 134 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9c 9h 6s 6c
fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 3.4 BB, fold, Hero calls 2.4 BB

Flop : (7.2 BB, 2 players) 8s 2s 5h
Hero checks, BTN bets 4.4 BB, Hero raises to 12 BB, BTN calls 7.6 BB

Turn : (31.2 BB, 2 players) 9d
Hero bets 30 BB, BTN calls 30 BB

River : (91.2 BB, 2 players) As
Hero checks, BTN bets 44.8 BB, Hero folds

BTN wins 87.6 BB

I check raise flop cause I think this flop missed a lot my opponent and she's probably betting his QQxx KKxx and AAxx hands on the flop.Turn gives me a set and I bet pot. The ace on the river is a bad card for me, AAxx got there so did the flush draw. I elect to check fold .What do you think about it??
One of the topics discussed was whether to 3bet this preflop or not. I think it can be 3bet or just called. The important thing is that we know why we 3bet or flat with it. Let's look at the benefits and problems:

The biggest benefit for 3betting double paired hands is better implied odds when we hit the set. As an average players tend get it in with wider ranges in 3bet pots than just single raised. Of course this is the straight outcome of smaller SPR, but despite of that a lot of regs are making semibluffs "against aces" in 3bet pots with a range they would never raise in single raised pot. Let's say the flop is J64 and we cbet after 3betting preflop. If average reg opponent has any Jxxx hand he will probably raise us cos he has a lot of folding equity and decent equity even if we stack off with overpair. Now we can stack our opponent off with our set. Another good thing in 3betting is that we can represent aces on the flop so we don't really have to hit the flop to win the pot. Problem in being oop is that we have to cbet most of the flops. After the cbet there is little akward SPR on the turn with 1,5.

Often we 3bet to isolate with a hand that we don't want to play in a multiway pot. Here we close the action, so there is no need to isolate. As we are BB we get great odds for calling and we will flop the set 1/4 times. With higher SPR we have more room to use our blockers too. One problem is getting value for the set. One of the biggest drawbacks in oop is that we often miss one street of value. If the flop is same as above, J64, what do we do? If we check-raise, we will have tons of folding equity and win that cbet. If we check-call, we often have to check river. If opponent checks back, we gave free river and often the board runs so that we can't valuebet the river.

So they both have pros and cons. The more we know about our opponent, the better decisions we can make. Against tighter players I would 3bet and against aggressive/calling stations I would call. Here the opponent is relatively unknown (played 1 out of 8 hands) but even with that information it is more likely that he is tight than maniac/calling station.

Now as the hand is played, when villain calls the flop he has the flush draw pretty often. Hero blocks the straight draws a lot. Here are some stats in villains range, if we assume that he is opening about 20% from the BTN:

He has QQ+, two pairs or a set 40% of the times.
He has 9+ flush draw 27% of the times.
He has 2 pairs or a set without a flush draw 4% of the times.
He has a wrap 2% of the times.
He has QQ+ with a flush draw 18% of the times.

Those underlined parts are the most interesting. It is very unlikely that opponent has a straight draw here. If he folds everything but overpairs+ with a flush draw, hero has around 80% folding equity. Even if opponent continues with all the 2 pairs and sets (without the flush draw) the folding equity is still around 75%. Hero can pretty much check-raise all his air on this flop, as he needs only 50% folding equity when bluffing. With semibluffs it's even more profitable.

As I don't think the opponent calls here with bare overpair ever, it is clear that he has the flushdraw very often (95% or so). In this case, it is a clear check-fold on the river.