Aspiring to improve

• Whatthedeuce
      Whatthedeuce
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Welcome to the start of my poker blog!

As the title suggest, I'm a player who needs to improve as currently I'm seeming breakeven, always deviating from whatever I watch or read from poker players way beyond my skill level, and calling hands down where I don't believe someone, based on no reads or anything, just "he can't have that."

So I'm starting afresh, with a more strict style until I get better. Firstly, a starting hand chart. This will be the first time I've ever made/used one, so it may need some adjustments.

Secondly, some aims/info:

- Starting with $100, continue to improve.
        - 7k hands per week on regular tables.
        - Record one session per week for youtube.
        - Review top 5 winning/losing hands each week.
        - Achieve PokerStars Gold status in February, and keep it.

I don't want aims regarding win-rates or over-the-top volume yet, so I'm starting with a few aims that I can add to. I'm starting with $100 and will be playing 10NL. I know this is aggressive BrM, however I can reload this and don't wish to start below 10NL.

Areas I want to improve on:

- Make more player notes, and don't label colours purely based on stats.. I can see them.
        - Take regular breaks, especially during bad runs or periods of tilt.'

Well, thanks for reading, and I'll be back with an update on how progress goes.

Wish me luck!
  • 9 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi WhatTheDeuce and Welcome to PokerStrategy!

Looks like you've got a plan. A couple of links that you may find interesting as a new member:

Have you checked out the PokerStrategy.com member map to see other members near you or to add yourself?
      Also be sure to check out the free live coachings available for your format - there is often some very good tips to be had during these sessions.

Best of luck to you!
    • Mon3yMaChin3
      Mon3yMaChin3
      Bronze
      You cant find many infos at weazel thread.Opening ranges and many more to help you to your game.
      gl
    • Whatthedeuce
      Whatthedeuce
      Bronze
      Starting BR: $100
      Current BR: $138.54

Well, the SHC quickly went out the window. I'm sticking to it slightly, and it surprises me how hands I thought were easy plays from MP and such are actually wayyyyy too wide. So it served some purpose, but I was missing a lot of value by sticking to it I think.

Todays session will kind of run on to tomorrows, as I work a lot of night-shifts and depending on the workload, I can sometimes get a few hours of poker in.. So, here's the first half that I've done whilst at home.

And I got into a lot of spots that were really tough. Normally, I'd go full rambo aggressive mode through them, but today I made some big folds. Maybe nitty folds, but definitely folds I couldn't have done a few weeks ago.

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: $19.05 (VPIP: 31.25, PFR: 28.13, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 33)
      Hero (BTN): $31.15
      SB: $10.39 (VPIP: 27.03, PFR: 16.22, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 39)
      BB: $10.00 (VPIP: 8.33, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
      UTG: $23.69 (VPIP: 15.28, PFR: 13.89, 3Bet Preflop: 6.67, Hands: 73)
      MP: $21.00 (VPIP: 21.05, PFR: 18.42, 3Bet Preflop: 7.69, Hands: 38)

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 3:club: 3:diamond:

fold, MP raises to $0.23, fold, Hero calls $0.23, fold, BB calls $0.13

Flop: ($0.74, 3 players) 3:heart: J:spade: T:club:
      BB checks, MP bets $0.47, Hero calls $0.47, BB raises to $1.55, MP raises to $2.90, fold, fold

MP wins $4.12

Explanation: MP is seeming to be a reg, playing 21/18. I don't have many hands as its a new DB, but the BB is an unknown. Usually, I'd probably over-jam here, but with our stacks so deep, I don't think he can call here with anything but MAYBE JT, and TT/JJ. I just expect I'll get stacked here every time. Might be nitty, but I think to shove would be spewy, and if I call then what turns am I really wanting besides another 3?

I think thats about it for this short session. I'll be posting again tomorrow for tonight/tomorrows session.

Thanks for reading.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Looks like you’re not lucky with making good screenshots I can watch.
      Maybe an idea to drag your screenshot file to your post and the screenshot will be automatic uploaded.

Further I wish you the best with improving your game :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Whatthedeuce
      Whatthedeuce
      Bronze
      Thanks; I thought I had to upload them off site. Edited, so now at least the graph should show :)
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Works fine now :f_thumbsup:
      Now I have fixed your first picture as well in opening post.
    • Whatthedeuce
      Whatthedeuce
      Bronze
      Current BR: $170.26
      Session Profit/Loss: +$70.26 (it's still kind of a part of yesterdays session).

So, the long session is done. It appears I managed to get quite a few hands in whilst at work.

I've honestly felt solid for the most part today. Not really on making big calls, but on making folds that I usually wouldn't. I've had a few hands where, sure, I should have laid down my cards, but overall I'm happy and can start to feel progress.

There are still areas I can see a lot of room for improvement; 3betting wider from the BTN being the most prominent one, as well as raising less rag hands from late positions when I have aggressive players to my left, as this has cost me quite a bit.

Bonuses are on the horizon also. If I earn 400VPPs, not only will I get my $62.50 ultimate challenge bonus, but I'll also reach my next $10 stellar reward and have enough FPPs to get a $25 bonus from the shop. That looks like 1-2 more days play, and an extra 9-10BIs on top of whatever bankroll I have at that point!

Well, overall, a steady first day with probably the least variance I've seen in my graphs for a long while.

Until next time..
    • Whatthedeuce
      Whatthedeuce
      Bronze
      Current BR: $223.29 (doesn't quite match graph due to trying a couple of tiny SNGs)
      Session Profit/Loss: +$53.03

Well, it's been a tiring poker day:

I sat around the 1000BB mark pretty early on, hit a mental barrier on it so it acted as a resistance line for a while, then broke through only to lose it by shoving a nut flush draw that never made it vs a set, as well as some random KQ beaten by K6 and stuff. Still happy with how I'm playing. That downswing wasn't fun though; I don't mind losing some, but my frame of mind wasn't right at all. I went super passive, and just got pissed on to be honest. I had a 30minute break, told myself to man up, and went back to the tables with a much better game though.

I've also cashed in a $25 FPP reward, and should hopefully cash in the remainder of my bonuses tomorrow which will be a nice healthy boost to the bankroll.

Oh, and hand of the night by far. I assume this guy might even be on the forum somewhere as he was a solid reg, then rage-quit after this hand. Can't blame him though; could you fold in his position? My question though; why raise it? When he does, he's splitting at best as it's not like I'm calling without an A here..

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $11.67 (VPIP: 21.43, PFR: 17.14, 3Bet Preflop: 7.41, Hands: 142)
      BB: $8.10 (VPIP: 64.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 25)
      UTG: $15.48 (VPIP: 70.51, PFR: 34.56, 3Bet Preflop: 5.05, Hands: 225)
      MP: $10.00 (VPIP: 24.07, PFR: 17.04, 3Bet Preflop: 7.75, Hands: 274)
      CO: $10.00 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      Hero (BTN): $12.06

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 4:club: 5:club:

fold, MP raises to $0.30, fold, Hero calls $0.30, fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.95, 3 players) 5:spade: 8:heart: 5:heart:
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.95, 3 players) 5:diamond:
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.95, 3 players) A:heart:
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.74, fold, MP raises to $1.85, Hero raises to $11.76 and is all-in, MP calls $7.85 and is all-in

Hero shows 4:club: 5:club: (Four of a Kind, Fives)
      (Pre 40%, Flop 99%, Turn 100%)
      MP mucks Q:club: A:diamond: (Full House, Fives full of Aces)
      (Pre 60%, Flop 1%, Turn 0%)
      Hero wins $19.43

Well, that's it from me again. Hoping for another few thousand hands tomorrow in an attempt to get the remainder of the bonuses, as I can't play on Monday night :(

Cheers..
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Looks like its going well so far.
      Also your 54s hand is nice, but I had already folded that hand pre-flop
      If I was in his shoes I couldn’t fold the hand as well. Is not that likely you have an A or better FH hands or quads this time :f_cool:

How is it going this month so far?

Cheers,
      SDK1987