Hyper Heads up SNG - Questions

• blom90
      blom90
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm new to heads up. Now I have started to play Hyper turbo Heads up SNG and I have some questions:

– What kind of hands should i 3-bet with?

– How should i play against people who is check/re-raise me all the time?

Thanks!
  • 10 replies
    • Gukzzz
      Gukzzz
      Bronze
      random if ur bloom
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      As usual, it depends.
      What poker background have you had?
      Hyper Turbo HU Sngs are probably different than what you have played so far.
      Game is mostly based on adapting your play. It's impossible to give a straight answer to questions like that.

You should have a 3-bet range consisted of value and bluffs, the proportion depends on how much the other person folds to 3 bets.
      If he folds very frequently, you may be able to get profit by 3-betting every hand, if he never folds, dont bluff 3-bet.

About the second question, are u talking about flop, pre-flop, turn? My first guess would be that people easily detect that you fold often against check/raises.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, blom90!

I've been playing this games for already more than an year, but you really need to specify a bit more in order to get a good advice.

F.e. Are we talking about 3bet shoving or 3betting non all in? Then it depends who we face, stack sizes and meta game. It's a lot of factors to consider, but with time you are gonna get the hold on it. All in all, the 3bet value range is always gonna be the same. Give us a spot that troubles you and we will check it over!

As for the second question-if some is check/raising you all the time, just narrow down hands that you can not cbet/call and also-widen up your cbet/calling range. However, you should start checking back weak showdown value. F.e. third/bottom pairs, those should very often be checked back vs an opponent like this. Or you have Ax on a dry board. It depends a lot on how he continues on the turn. Does he c/r and give up with bluffs on the turn? Does he c/r-barrel? How does he react if we c/b on the flop?

I mean, I don't want to overwhelm you, but what I want you to know is this: generalizing in poker is usually not a good thing. There are no fixed ranges. There are some strategies we use based on population tendencies, but once we have info, we adjust. In that sense-you shouldn't look at an opponent as good or bad, but rather try to exploit his weaknesses.
    • blom90
      blom90
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PriscoInline
      As usual, it depends.
      What poker background have you had?
      I have played on and off since 2005. And I have tried almost every game format there is. Sadly almost never as a winner. Since now. Hyper turbo HU seems to be my thing.
      Hyper Turbo HU Sngs are probably different than what you have played so far.
      Yeah, and I love it :D
      Game is mostly based on adapting your play. It's impossible to give a straight answer to questions like that.
      Yes, I understand that now after watching some movies.

You should have a 3-bet range consisted of value and bluffs, the proportion depends on how much the other person folds to 3 bets.
      If he folds very frequently, you may be able to get profit by 3-betting every hand, if he never folds, dont bluff 3-bet.
      Thanks for the tips.

About the second question, are u talking about flop, pre-flop, turn? My first guess would be that people easily detect that you fold often against check/raises.
      One guy detected that in one game. But that's not a common situation in the low stakes I guess.
    • blom90
      blom90
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      Hi, blom90!

I've been playing this games for already more than an year, but you really need to specify a bit more in order to get a good advice.

F.e. Are we talking about 3bet shoving or 3betting non all in? Then it depends who we face, stack sizes and meta game. It's a lot of factors to consider, but with time you are gonna get the hold on it. All in all, the 3bet value range is always gonna be the same. Give us a spot that troubles you and we will check it over!
      I was thinking more like "what is good card to 3-bet with". But what hands to 3-bet shove and what hands to 3-bet small is also a good question. It depends a lot of the situation I guess.

As for the second question-if some is check/raising you all the time, just narrow down hands that you can not cbet/call and also-widen up your cbet/calling range. However, you should start checking back weak showdown value. F.e. third/bottom pairs, those should very often be checked back vs an opponent like this. Or you have Ax on a dry board. It depends a lot on how he continues on the turn. Does he c/r and give up with bluffs on the turn? Does he c/r-barrel? How does he react if we c/b on the flop?
      I need to play the board a bit more I guess.

I mean, I don't want to overwhelm you, but what I want you to know is this: generalizing in poker is usually not a good thing. There are no fixed ranges. There are some strategies we use based on population tendencies, but once we have info, we adjust. In that sense-you shouldn't look at an opponent as good or bad, but rather try to exploit his weaknesses.
      Exactly – thanks for some good advices! What limit do you play at? =)
    • blom90
      blom90
      Bronze
      This is my graph so far for Hyper Turbo Heads Up Sit & Go:

Even tho it's a small sample I guess that I do something right?
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      That seems good, but try to get a couple thousand games until rushing into any conclusion. It may not look like it, but this game is soooo swingy.

Imo, you will probably do well by maintaining a very agressive approach against 80% of the field on $15 and below, at least.

Plus, stay on a single stake until you are sure you are rolled and experienced enough to move up.
      There may be a lot of move ups and downs in this game, and unless you are confortable with that, it may be a good idea to have a big sample size and bankroll until every move up.

Last, but not least, I think 54%+ ITM is a bit unreal over a big sample. Maybe 55% is the maximum I've seen.
    • blom90
      blom90
      Bronze
      Now I have played some more games at both $7 and $15. This is my graphs (I know it's a really small sample of games):

Overall:

At the $7's:

At the $15's:

Swingy
      It have been really swingy. When I took a shot at the $15's I felt that a played really good. Even tho I lost almost $150 right away I was happy with my game. But in most of the games I did get it in pre or post flop as a favorite. So it didn't bother me that much.

But when I kept loosing it did bother me. I wasn't thinking of myself as a winning player. It felt that I lost the pot even before the card was dealt.

I think this is because I care about the money too much. I'm thinking to much that "this money will be hard grinding back at the lower stakes".

The plan
      That's why I had come up with a plan – a strict bankroll plan.

It sounds like this:

I need 50 BI for the limit I play at.
      If I fall to 35 BI I move down.
      If I got 40 BI for the next limit I move up and take a 5 BI shot.
      If I fall to 35 BI I move back down and grind until I got 40 BI for the next limit again.

It looks like this:

⬆40*$60 = $2 400 = 80 BI at $30
      🔶50*$30 = $1 500
      ⬇35*$30 = $1 050 = 70 BI at $15

⬆40*$30 = $1 200 = 80 BI at $15
      🔶50*$15 = $750
      ⬇35*$15 = $525 = 75 BI at $7

⬆40*$15 = $600 = 85 BI at $7
      🔶50*$7 = $350
      ⬇35*$7 = $245 = 70 BI at $3.5

⬆40*$7 = $280
      🔶50*$3.5 = $175
      ⬇35*$3.50 = $122

Mental game
      What do you think about this? I know that 5 BI is to little to give it a real try. But at the same time. It will be much easier to grind back the money at the lower limit.

This bankroll plan will make me move up and down in limits like all the time. But I think that the plan also will help my mental game. I don't need to care that much about the money.

What is your thoughts about this? :)
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi again, blom90!

I am playing the midstakes HU hyper games on pokerstars.

As for your approach. I will be very straight-there are a few things I disagree with and I will share you my thought on your approach.
      -50BI is not enough to a game as swingy as HU hypers. They don't have the fame of being very high variance games, but you can and you will have 50 BI swings every now and then, especially when you face regs. And you will face a lot of regs on the 15s. It's the last limits where no divisions have been established yet, so that makes a lot of the so called "weaker" regs grind them. So, I believe, you definitely need bigger bankroll for those. And going up and down is not gonna gain huge respect from the regs either. You are gonna have to be prepared to face some reg vs reg action, until they feel your game is unprofitable and share lobbies with you. So, I would say-go at least 150BI on the 15s if you want to establish yourself there.

About 80-100BI for the 7s, 3.5s should be fine.

Mental game is a very interesting subject. You are gonna see a lot of talented, well-rounded players with leaks in their mental game. Which pushes them back all the time. We all have leaks/places to improve. That applies to our poker skill set, mindset, work ethics, basically, everything we do-we can do a bit better. Almost always. There is no moment when you solve the game and you are playing perfectly. If a moment like this comes, you are prolly going on a downhill. Satisfaction is not an improvement. You always need to be on the edge your comfort zone if you want to progress as a player...and probably as a person. Those are my 2 cents on a subject that can go on forever. A few mental advises about poker I can share, would be these:

-Be steady and determined. Don't rush, have a good pace
      -Use the poker community. A man by himself is not gonna have all the solutions. Very often our brain limits us to what only we believe. Be open to suggestions, share poker thoughts with others and listen to others. They way they think is gonna make you think a bit better :)
      -Adjust, Adjust, Adjust-do that all the time, otherwise what you was successful for you the year before, might be not successful for you now. That could also mean-work on your game all the time.
      -Balance your life well, is poker is 90% of what you care, of course when you run bad, you are gonna feel down. When you have a good balance though, you are stronger as one thing by itself is not gonna let you down. Also, balance help you do what you do much better. You need to have passion in what u do, so doing the same thing all the time, will prolly kill some of it. Which leads us to the other part
      -Diversity. Do different things, new things, don't stick to old habits for too long as diversity means to be open for new ideas, learn new things and know better about yourself and how to balance your life.

Possibly, I can go on with more examples, but I just wanted to give you an insight of how I perceive and approach poker.

Cheers!
    • blom90
      blom90
      Bronze
      Thank you so much for good advices!