PLOing Floripa - by riprlz

• riprlz
      riprlz
      Bronze
      Hi there, I'm riprlz, I'm brazilian and I decided to create a blog on this community cause in PS.BR nobody is playing PLO.

The name of the blog is PLOing Floripa cause I'm playing PLO and living in Florianópolis. But where is Florianópolis ?

Florianópolis is an island on the southern part of Brazil, it is known as a place of gorgerous girls and paradisiac beaches, land of surf and crazy nightlife on the summer, where I can take a bad beat in the morning and just chill out on the beach after lunch.

So, more about Floripa later, now a little about me and PLO.

I started to take poker serious in 09, played 6max NLHE up to NL50 and sttrugled at NL100. I stopped playing after black friday, tried a little come back in winter 2013 but after a awesome run came crazy variance and I went busto and took a break again.

Now around Sep 14 I started playing poker again cause I was tight on money and was like "why working when you need money ? lets just play some pokerz", cause it is the degen way to live, right ? And vacationing chicks loves degen guys that don't give a fuck :truestory:

So, after a one month of losing play, beeing BE with rakeback, and another month of BE play, profiting out of RB, I had two green months playing NLHE. Around the same time I started playing live games around town and here it always runs 1 orbit of NLHE and another orbit of PLO, so I was 'forcedly' playing PLO, a game that I always liked playing but never had the action to put efforts into learning.
      Then I decided that I had to learn PLO if I want to play live games, not just because I don't want to lose on PLO to the fishes, but even more because they prefer PLO to holdem, cause in PLO they hit a lot more stuff and it is fun for them to play, and also because the guys that are 'regs' doesnt know much PLO, so edge over fishes are smaller.

So I watched some beginners videos and played some hands, around 5k in Nov, Dec didnt play much cause it was vacation and had only 1k hands of PLO, last month I tried to put a little more volume in PLO and got to play 9k hands. But still playing it together with holdem all these months.

During that time I started to enjoy the game a lot. in PLO there are more cards, there are more action, there are more fun, there are more fishes, the pots gets bigger, it gets more rakeback per hand, and the only sad thing is that there are fewer tables :deadhappy:

So now I want to play PLO as my main game, I'm not a sick grinder and usually don't log tons of hands per month, I would really like to play like 50k hands a month but if i get to 30k get happy with myself.

I'm getting coaching with Kyyberi, had 2 sessions so far and it is helping me a lot.

Currently I'm playing PLO20 on ipoker (where are you, ipoker regs ? I know there are some of you out there) but I want to get to PLO50 as soon as possible, I had some shots at PLO50 on hours that not enough PLO20 tables were running and there were fish at PLO50 and I found the same regulars on both stakes, and most of them are losing players that wins only with rakeback so lets see what happens.

Also I play on a really tight bankroll cause I'm often cashing out, so the move up is getting delayed, might be good cause I think I didn't play more than 50k hands on cash PLO in my entire lifetime, so getting exp before moving up is never bad.

This is all my tracked PLO hands since I got back to poker, wins in bb cause they were played around different stakes.

Eager to see if I will get to know other regs that play the same games I'm playing, as I said PLO in brazilian community is pretty much dead, nor even the live coachings they have anymore, so no PLO buddys for me :deadhappy:
  • 8 replies
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Hey, what do you mean nobody in Floripa is playing PLO?

We can discuss PLO anytime you want, although it is not my main game, I'm pretty interested in getting to know more about it, hit me up with a DM, we'll grab a beer and talk poker in some bar.

Se tu kex kex, Se num qué dix.
      :f_drink:
    • riprlz
      riprlz
      Bronze
      Added you via community tool send me your skype via msg there:f_drink:

Didn't knew of other pokerstrategists here in Floripa. Do you play live games? Also gonna check out your blog.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by riprlz
      Added you via community tool send me your skype via msg there:f_drink:

Didn't knew of other pokerstrategists here in Floripa. Do you play live games? Also gonna check out your blog.
      I play cash games with a couple of Friends, and once in a while in some local clubs around here, Ilha Poker and Floripa Poker Clube.

My friends game is pretty big stakes I'd say, but any cash games you'll go people play PLO, so I learned a couple of basics in order to try scooping in some extra bucks from them. :f_cool:

Back in '09 I've met a PokerStrategist but he left and moved to São Paulo a few years ago. Sure thing, I'm actually reinstalling Skype now because I've been off the grid a couple of days avoiding some people.
    • riprlz
      riprlz
      Bronze
      The worst thing about playing PLO is not knowing if I'm a winning player at the stakes I'm playing,.
      I can spot the players that are obviously worse than me, but I'm not sure if I'm amongst the winner regs of the player pool overall.

This month so far I played around 5k hands from PLO20 to PLO100. I'm winning but my ev is $0.
      Even though everybory would say "cmon, it is just 5k hands of PLO, variance is so huge that you cant know anything about your game on that small of a sample".
      But still, a player knows when he should be doing better, and I just feel I should be doing better.

• riprlz
      riprlz
      Bronze
      Hey guys, so I just started the blog and vanished for 2 months, not a good start. But I didnt want to write crying bbv posts, so I didnt come here to post at all.
      So what happend during this time I was away was:

February, the month started great with me running above ev and making around $200, than things stopped working and boooom I got technichaly busto, $500 down and like $300 under ev, I've finished the month with around $50 total counting all my poker accounts. See graph below:

Waited my rakeback to get deposited on the beggining of the month and started march as a month to rebuild.

So march started badly, I was playing the entire month to kinda grind back to breakeven and getting small downswings when I was close, so finaly as soon as I get the month on the green digits comes one of my worst downswings ever(ev wise), running like $450 or 20something buy ins under ev in a span of less than 5k hands, than I also burned around $100 in mtts during micromilions with almost no ITMs.

So this is my graph for march until yesterday.

So yesterday I woke up and had like $0,60 cents on stars, $10 on microgaming, and around $30 on ipoker. And I have a bonus to release where I still have to rake like $400 in 19 days to release $250 bonus, so I can't miss that. So I started shortstacking PLO5 and kinda movind up since I doubled and/or got over 100bb and than started to open tables on higher limits. Cause I mean, I have a bonus to release and no way I could do it playing PLO4, need to be playing PLO20 or at least a mix of PLO10-PLO20. :profit:

So bellow is the graph of someone who woke up with like $10+$30 yesterday, and I have to play around 12k hands of PLO20 or 20k of PLO10 in 19 days. Please wish me good luck not to go busto again, cause I'm gonna need it.

• riprlz
      riprlz
      Bronze
      So, I dont see much PLO blogs around, but still I'm gonna post some hands around to see if we get some discussion, ans some other hands just for fun/bbv.

So...

- Hand 1

In this hand I'm not sure about the way I played, I had a big draw but not a nutty one, but the players agains me were pretty loose, specially BTN. When the UTG leads and BTN comes along I think I have a clear call because of my odds, and i would also lower variance and give the opportunitty for them to make a mistake when my draw hits, on the other hand, if turn bricks I'm going all in anyway, and this vilains are loose and cally enough that I might get alling against worst draws at the flop, even though he might have hands that probably get me crushing like QJT* stuff I still think his flop all in range are wide enough to be worst than mine.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $15.48 (154.8 bb)
      BB: $30.47 (304.7 bb)
      UTG: $14.31 (143.1 bb)
      MP: $9.74 (97.4 bb)
      CO: $24.69 (246.9 bb)
      BTN: $6.06 (60.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7 5 8 6
      UTG calls $0.10, MP folds, CO calls $0.10, BTN raises to $0.55, Hero raises to $1.95, BB folds, UTG calls $1.85, CO folds, BTN calls $1.40

Flop: ($6.05) 4 8 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $4.23, BTN calls $4.11, Hero calls $4.23

Turn: ($18.62) 3 (3 players)
      Hero bets $9.30 and is all-in, UTG calls $8.13

River: ($34.88) 2 (3 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $34.88 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: 4 8 9 3 2
      Hero mucked 7 5 8 6 and won $32.88 ($18.57 net)
      UTG showed 6 J T T and lost (-$14.31 net)
      BTN showed A Q Q T and lost (-$6.06 net)

- Hand 2

This hand was a badbluff, he cought up a backdoor flush on the river and that was not what I was trying to make him fold, but I think his range have enough pair+busted str8draw, weak top pair and stuff like that that will seldom have JT**, AK** or flush at the river, this is a fun player that I dont think is folding neither JT** ou AK** at the river, but if I get him to fold all his 567*, 456*, 467* A654 and stuff like that I think this bet might be profitable, but still not sure about the math and calcs.

Prima, $0.02/$0.04 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 5 Players

SB: $5.92 (148 bb)
      BB: $4.50 (112.5 bb)
      MP: $2.04 (51 bb)
      CO: $7.60 (190 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $4.96 (124 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 4 5 6 3
      MP folds, CO raises to $0.14, Hero calls $0.14, SB calls $0.12, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.56) 4 7 A (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.42, 2 folds, CO calls $0.42

Turn: ($1.40) Q (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $0.98, CO calls $0.98

River: ($3.36) K (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $3.36, CO calls $3.36

Results:
      $10.08 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: 4 7 A Q K
      CO showed 5 2 6 2 and won $9.98 ($5.08 net)
      Hero showed 4 5 6 3 and lost (-$4.90 net)

- Hand 3

On this one I have such a strong draw that I have 40% vs the set, I think I could easily go all in on the flop vs his range and make it profitable just because of my hand str, but I tought that by just calling I could invite the BB, who is a fun player, to call with reverse imp odds or perhaps shove a draw with worst flushs and stuff with worst equity than mine, also I thought I might try to make than commit mistakes at the turn, sometimes by folding ahead or calling behind. So well, I think the way I played was OK but I'm not 100% sure.

Prima, $0.02/$0.04 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 5 Players

Hero (SB): $6.97 (174.3 bb)
      BB: $5.67 (141.8 bb)
      MP: $4 (100 bb)
      CO: $0.81 (20.3 bb)
      BTN: $4 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7 T 8 A
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.36, BTN calls $0.28

Flop: ($1.20) 9 7 5 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets $1, Hero calls $1, BB folds

Turn: ($3.20) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.20, BTN calls $2.60 and is all-in

River: ($8.40) 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $8.40 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: 9 7 5 8 2
      Hero showed 7 T 8 A and lost (-$4.00 net)
      BTN showed A 3 7 7 and won $8.30 ($4.30 net)

- hand 4

And this is a fun hand, I'm pretty sure the guy thought like "wtf you repping trips on the turn now you repping KK**/AA** at the river ? You are so bluffing man, I KNOW you are bluffing, but you fucking shoved river and I can't beat a bluff, but I'm still calling just to show you I know you're bluffing"

And my valuebluff wins the hand

Prima, $0.05/$0.10 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 3 Players

Hero (SB): $2.67 (26.7 bb)
      BB: $45.76 (457.6 bb)
      BTN: $22.60 (226 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6 8 J T
      BTN folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) 5 9 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70

River: ($2.80) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.27 and is all-in, BB calls $1.27

Results:
      $5.34 pot ($0.26 rake)
      Final Board: 5 9 4 9 9
      Hero showed 6 8 J T and won $5.08 ($2.41 net)
      BB showed 4 2 6 3 and lost (-$2.67 net)
    • Post removed

• SDK1987
      SDK1987
      It’s most likely a better idea to post these hands to our hand discussions for Omaha board. This way you get maybe more response and feedback.

I would like to give some comments on your hands, but I’m not playing much Omaha. I only play it for fun sometimes.

Hand 1: I don’t think it has too much sense to 3 bet bluff with a hand like this. I don’t think you get all players to fold. Also you turn shove looks spewy to me with middle pair and a decent straight draw.

Hand 2: I would play the draw post-flop passive against so many players and I don’t think a 3 barrel bluff will work on these stakes.

Hand 3: I would CBet on a flop like this against 2 players and stack off on further action.

Hand 4: I think better to start with a full stack on table and further looks it spewy what you’re doing here that works out this time.

How it’s going with PLO this month so far?
      Further I wish you all the best to beat the micro stakes of PLO.

Cheers,
      SDK1987