which is the best way to play with big cards (7-A)? And small ones?

• 4 replies
    • Drbiero94
      Drbiero94
      Basic
      Depends greatly on you position, chip stack and you're opponents position and style of play, this is actually an area of difficulty for me and I just posted a similar thread if you fancy taking a look. For me I am reluctant to play most hands out of position because you can often find yourself in tricky situations. Hands like Q9 are obviously good but I dont fancy limping in early position and facing raise, equally I feel raising early position with a hand like that is a little too aggressive thus it can land you in trouble.

Lets make it easier and say I am playing a mediocre A, like A 7 in late position. Even though I have an A which is obviously a good card the 7 would make me cautious so I wouldn't want to play it too strong, especially when facing a raise from early position I might even fold (depending on my opponent) because this represents strength thus even if I hit the flop I might be beat by a better A.

It really depends on your opposition, if you are facing weak players you can play looser but against stronger opponents position is everything. I really struggle with hands like K 10, K J, KQ from early position. These hands look really strong but playing them under the gun isn't easy. Lets say you just decide to call the BB, this looks weak and you leave yourself open to a raise from a player in late position. If you raise then an A comes on the flop youre in a position where you have to continuation bet or check fold.

I definitely under rep a lot of hands and try to make people think I dont have a good hand but you have to be selective about the hands you do this with otherwise you can end up trapping yourself. I have an example of this in my thread but breifly I will often limp from early position with KK or AA in the hope that someone will raise me. Equally you dont want to overplay hands like K 10 or Q J, even though these are solid staring hands you can often find yourself behind after the flop.

Sorry I cant be more helpful but as I said this is an area I struggle with a lot
    • thewinemaker
      thewinemaker
      Bronze
      Good answer!
    • alme4
      alme4
      Bronze
      Good ans
    • StandardBacking
      StandardBacking
      Bronze
      Have a look for starting hand ranges as a chart online, these generally tell you where to play which cards when you are first starting out