Job as a shill?

• saltbeef
      So 888 poker wants to hire me as a shill. Here is the deal. They are going to pay me $13 per hour and they are going to let me use their money to play at the micro limits.

The problem is any money that I lose comes out of my wages.

Now I play poker for recreation at the 25 - 200NL limits so this doesn't seem like a lot of money. However when you are on a downswing you would take the $13 per hour all day long.

So what would you guys do? It will be a mixture of games but mostly limit holdem which is not one of my better games. I want to tell them to shove it but I am home all day long anyway? Any Idea's?
  • 6 replies
    • HNRoger
      Ocmon, thats just so indecent. I cant say about l holdem, but the nl micros on 888 are extremely soft most of the time, if you could handle nl200 there is 0.05% chance that you get downswinged too hard there.

You cant tell them to shove it, its limit holdem! :coolface:
      On the other hand cmon, i wanted to play 888 at february, if they infest it with props and shills....
    • saltbeef
      It's a long day and I forgot to mention that I don't get to keep my winnings so the most I'm making is $13 per hour.

Now yes I have played as high as 200NL. Did I say that I can win at it consistently? No? 50NL is more my speed and again I'm am not a pro and don't profess to be one.

I am lucky enough to run my business from home aside from the scattered road trip. I do not earn enough from poker to give up my business lol.

Lastly, Sorry to burst your bubble, but all sites use shills and prop players. They are just employees, the same as anyone else. Nothing wrong about it. They just get the games going and keep them going. That's it.

So come on over to 888. The water is warm.

Good Luck At The Tables,
    • sherriffatman
      Hey Robert - I am not an 888 fan myself after they banned me for no legitimate reason, a few years ago, but I often get prop player offers from various affiliate sites, and it's something I have myself considered, but ultimately decided against, as I don't really enjoy playing cash-games much - to me it just feels too much like a 'graft'/ chore - fwiw, I think you may well quickly fall out of love with poker if you are obligated to put in long hrs in micro-stakes games, and especially if you have to play mainly LHE!!!

you can limit your losses to a degree by playing a tight aggressive style, but you will also have to play short-handed games most of the time, so there will be inevitable swings

- why don't you give it a try for an agreed trial period and reassess from there? $13/hr is not too shabby really as a side-income, if it doesn't interfere with your main business/lifestyle/home-life etc.

(How did you get the offer from 888 btw? I presume they contacted you with the offer, as you are a regular on their tables?)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      The most you can earn is $13 Per hour for playing a few tables. Can you play your own tables too (nl50 perhaps) as a normal player whilst playing the lower ones?

If you lose it comes out of your own pocket/wages.

Doesn't sounds too great tbh, tell them you want more $ or at least keep some of your profit.
    • Ramble
      I have never heard of this, but I guess it makes sense for smaller websites looking to maintain/build traffic.

It's not really "paying" you, if they tell you what to do with your pay.

It's like telling a janitor we'll pay you in cleaning supplies, but you have to use those supplies to clean our building and we aren't going to give you much more than what you need to get the job done.

As I see it, it could be one of a few scenarios:

1) Get paid $x at the end of every hour of play completed, but the wins/losses are yours.
      2) Get paid $x at the end of every hour of play completed, but here is an allowance to play with - the wins/losses are the Pokerrooms.
      3) Get paid $x at the end of every hour of play completed, losses belong to the pokerroom, wins belong to the player.
    • saltbeef
      Hi guys,
      Thanks for all of your opinions and I told them yesterday that I am not interested.

Poker for me is for recreation. I play it because it's fun and not for the money.
      When I am winning the money is great and when I am losing it sucks. I guess you could say I am about a break even player at 50NL 6 Max.

Playing the microstakes as a shill would be too boring I think and I would tire of it easily. I guess you could say I am in it for the rush lol, and as long as I am not wasting too much money, the wife lets me play :f_biggrin:

Sherriffatman I started playing at 888 back in the early 2000's when they only had one skin which was Pacific Poker if I am remembering correctly. The reason I got the offer is because I am pretty good buddies with one of the shills there at the higher stakes. The only offer they would give me however was the microstakes and they said I would have to work my way up.

Thanks again for the help guys,