Does anyone out there just 4 table?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I was discussing with a friend and wanted to know if any full time poker player plays only 4 tables or 5 tables?

I feel my best game comes out with 4 tabling and that even at 6 tabling I can't put in much thought into stuff like my bet sizing and sometimes i end up going into auto pilot mode. My friend says since I'm playing full time I HAVE to play more than 4 tables and that there aren't any regs that just 4 table and even playing 6 hours of 4 tabling won't get me enough volume, so I wanted to know if there are any out there?

BTW I'm talking about regular tables not zoom.

PS: I'm playing micros and trying to move up so not like I'm playing baller stakes.
  • 8 replies
    • DjolusVicenus
      DjolusVicenus
      Silver
      I have a ritual of starting with 2 zoom tables and see where it goes from there... I do start up session of 30 minutes on NL5 and switch to mine limit. I have 2 monitors and usually play 2 zoom tables on left monitor and 2 regular table on right... I think that there is not good advice. There is only what is good for you. So if you like more tables go for it. I suffered from low bb/100 when I stacked 4 zoom and 4reg tables... I tryed it... not good for me... I would think about what is mine goal, and in sync with it go for what best suits for you.
    • simon1312
      simon1312
      Bronze
      For me personally at the moment, 4 rooms is max that I can play with total concentration on all of the games. Otherwise I get sideminded and just lose more chips on SB/BB.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      maheepsangari, did you mean those who play poker professionally? :) Otherwise there is so many who are playing maximum that amount of tables. My irl friend plays only 1 table because he`s not very experienced player.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      i think those days are long gone - It's hard to squeeze out much of a winrate and thus people have to make up for this by playing more tables.
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Personally I'll agree with your friend. If you are playing only four tables of cash games, you are surely losing a lot of value for volume.

On micros things don't actually move that away from auto pilot anyway, sure you need to improve your game and work slowly up to a number that will make you comfortable with. Try adding a new table each two days, until you find that sweet limit. I'm playing ZOOM and MTT's so my table sizing of 6 is good enough.

Just make sure, that more important than bet sizing, and decision process, multi tabling isn't making you sit at terrible tables, and that you manage to select well, as for me that is one of the most important factors regarding your winrate.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      @NutzAreOk yes i meant those who play professionally. I know a lot of recreational players play 1-4 tables but was wondering if any professional players do that anymore. I do remember reading in some books like even "The Poker Blueprint" where the author was advocating that players should really think about the game and not just run after volume in the Learner and the Grinder chapter. I have heard other players say similar stuff too.

Then there's another group of pros that advocate heave volume given that win rates are low and variance is high and that to get meaningful results you gotta put in more volume by playing more tables.

So was just wondering if there are any pros out there anymore that play around 4 regular tables only and maybe hear from them.

@mbml do you think thats true even at the micros and stakes say up to NL 50 on regular tables or do you think that to get out of the micros you just have to put in enough volume and play like 9-12 regular tables and 4 just won't cut it at these stakes?
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      @mbml do you think thats true even at the micros and stakes say up to NL 50 on regular tables or do you think that to get out of the micros you just have to put in enough volume and play like 9-12 regular tables and 4 just won't cut it at these stakes?
      I don`t think there is any real professionals at micro stakes. :)

Maybe some HU CG players could play only 1 table occasionally if there is not good games running..
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      Even though I'm not pro myself in any way, I worked my way up to 4 to 6 tables in 1 session now. If I play more now, I cannot put good reads on my opponents anymore (think of making notes and observing betting patterns) which is really important when playing tournaments.

It's quality over quantity for me, you have to find out what works best for you.