Starting hand chart : what to do in early position (UTG1)

• szicsef
      szicsef
      Bronze
      Hi,

I read this page http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/ on how to play before the flop but there is something that is not clear for me.
      The Starting hand chart tells you what to do according to the positions and actions before you. If I'm in position UTG1, what should I do with my hand ? I don't know what is the right action to choose because nobody played before me.
      So my question is where in the chart should I look if I'm the first player after the blind ?

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hey! I haven't used that chart before but I am reasonably certain you would refer to the section for 'early position' and 'all players folded'. Its not absolutely clear I agree, perhaps it should be retitled to 'first to enter pot' :)

I would let someone else a moderator or instructor confirm if my assumption is right before you take it as valid though :f_drink: Gluck!
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iSoOwnYou
      Hey! I haven't used that chart before but I am reasonably certain you would refer to the section for 'early position' and 'all players folded'. Its not absolutely clear I agree, perhaps it should be retitled to 'first to enter pot' :)

I would let someone else a moderator or instructor confirm if my assumption is right before you take it as valid though :f_drink: Gluck!
      Yes, that is exactly correct. :f_thumbsup:
    • szicsef
      szicsef
      Bronze
      Thanks for your answers.
      Another example to be sure I've understood : there are 7 players at the table, my position is MP1 after the blind. My hand is AQ so I should raise.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by szicsef
      There is 7 players at the table, my position is MP1 after the blind. My hand is AQ so I should raise.
      Correct.

If there are only 7 players, there are no early positions, so your seat is considered to be in a middle position. According to the chart, you should open raise AQ from there.