Analyze an opponent as deeply as possible with HEM/notes etc

• DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      I want to know every tip you guys have on how to analyze a villain using holdem manager, notes, thoughts, etc. What I do when I analyze an opponent so far is go through all his went to showdown hands and my notes and think of how I could exploit him. I'm sure there is tons of neat tricks to use in HEM and also smart ways to think about this. I'm quite new on the whole analyse a single villain area. (Not new to poker though, been playing full time for a few years)
  • 10 replies
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Filter hands 3bet pot, 4bet pot, call 3bet, call 4bet, 2bet pot, specific textures, and all using saw showdown. Similarly postflop lines check/call flop then turn then river and similarly for other lines. Then look at his postflop general stats for all those preflop actions, and with a combination of all of this info, try to see where he is bluff heavy, value heavy. There is imo not much more to do, than to conclude about bet sizes and actions if they are value heavy or bluffy.
    • DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mlatasrb
      Filter hands 3bet pot, 4bet pot, call 3bet, call 4bet, 2bet pot, specific textures, and all using saw showdown. Similarly postflop lines check/call flop then turn then river and similarly for other lines. Then look at his postflop general stats for all those preflop actions, and with a combination of all of this info, try to see where he is bluff heavy, value heavy. There is imo not much more to do, than to conclude about bet sizes and actions if they are value heavy or bluffy.
      Sounds about right. Sucks that I play on a network that dont show cards at showdown except for when winning... :f_cry:
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      I analysed several times my opponents at NL100 and N50, but I never found anything really which would increase my EV. All of them play very standard, with occasional spews and mistakes, but I cant threat those as their default strategy. So I stopped analysing regs, and use only their stats to find leaks during game.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Once analyses vs one reg vs who I played many hands was worth. He played non standard check/raise line, or check back flop then raise turn. He has around 20% raise stat, so I assumed he is bluff heavy. But whenever I called down (several times happend) I was losing. Then I analysed his showdown hands for this spot, and it turns out that from > 50 samples, he didnt bluff even single time with this line. It turned out that he was check/raises TPGK+ hands and not only strong hands which is why raise stat was so high.

So that means, that I started folding vs his raises, and putting more pressure with raises vs his cbets (if he check/raises TPTK+ so often then his cbet range is weak and likely bluff heavy).
    • DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      Yeah against many regs it's tough to find leaks, for sure. But analyzing the fishes that tend to return (the ones with larger samples) is imo a really good thing to do, increasing winrate against them is abit underrated I'd say. I've so far analyzed three this month (through stats, the few hands with showdown and notes), one fish and two regs (whom I know to have leaks) and I've found some new ways of abusing them in particular. Against one I now go x/c x/c x/c with whole value range in most occasions, against one I've found somewhat of a betting tell on the river, etc.
    • DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      Once analyses vs one reg vs who I played many hands was worth. He played non standard check/raise line, or check back flop then raise turn. He has around 20% raise stat, so I assumed he is bluff heavy. But whenever I called down (several times happend) I was losing. Then I analysed his showdown hands for this spot, and it turns out that from > 50 samples, he didnt bluff even single time with this line. It turned out that he was check/raises TPGK+ hands and not only strong hands which is why raise stat was so high.

So that means, that I started folding vs his raises, and putting more pressure with raises vs his cbets (if he check/raises TPTK+ so often then his cbet range is weak and likely bluff heavy).
      Btw, against this villain type I'd say 3barrel a ton. As he almost never has something strong by the river you should consider having a larger b b b range.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Originally posted by DREAMC4T
      Yeah against many regs it's tough to find leaks, for sure. But analyzing the fishes that tend to return (the ones with larger samples) is imo a really good thing to do, increasing winrate against them is abit underrated I'd say. I've so far analyzed three this month (through stats, the few hands with showdown and notes), one fish and two regs (whom I know to have leaks) and I've found some new ways of abusing them in particular. Against one I now go x/c x/c x/c with whole value range in most occasions, against one I've found somewhat of a betting tell on the river, etc.
      Yes, betting tells are very common. Some peopel bet like 20% pot, and are value heavy, and some regs bet 50% value heavy, or pot size polarized, but bluff mostly with 75% pot size.
      Thats imo very important to do, but could be missleading,because you need a lot of sample, and villian could change over time his strategy.

Btw, against this villain type I'd say 3barrel a ton. As he almost never has something strong by the river you should consider having a larger b b b range.
      I forgot to mention, he check/raises with preflop initiative.
    • DREAMC4T
      DREAMC4T
      Bronze
      Thats imo very important to do, but could be missleading,because you need a lot of sample, and villian could change over time his strategy.
      Yeah, always keeping an eye open for when they change their games! (which can happen literally over night if they watch a video or w/e)
    • Alexyus992
      Alexyus992
      Bronze
      You should also try to see his bet sizing.At Nl 20 lot of players or bluffing with >80% but all the time or check raising as bluff 3x and when it comes about value betting they only do it like 65% or 2x check rasing.Also 3 bet size is one aspect which you should be cared about.For all this sizes i sugest you to look an overview to notecaddy graf which tells you the average of betsize for certain value of hands.
      Also.There are lot of regs which are folding versus a min raise on river too often.Pay some attention to thoes one.You might find some situation to exploit them.
    • Post removed