Spin&Go strategy

• Bobbs
      Bobbs
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am pretty sure that there already exist a few threads about this topic but I couldn't find any descent results using the search.
      Nevertheless, I want to ask some questions about this format.
      • What do you think about this format?
      • Where did you find literature/tips about this topic and what do you think about the quality of the content?

The only content that I was able to find at Pokerstrategy (German/Englisch) was one article with five remarks, a recorded session with Colin Moshman and few videos by Tim64. Is there anything else that might be worth to have a look at it?

But I also want to share my opinion on these new sngs.
      I think, that they (try to) solve two major problems of other sitngo formats that got worse and worse over the last years.
      • There are more and more mediocre regulars that are registering for every possible sitngo of the format they are playing without proper tableselection or thought. These days it is easy to make just a few dollar by playing a lot of tables using every tool that is available to help you to play autopilot for 8+ hours a day.
      • Fish don't like to play with the same tight players on every table and they are always looking for fast action and results.

Fish want to play fast games where they can gamble. Best on their mobile devices and tablets. And playing 10+ tables is simply not possible for the majority of us regulars. Thats also great.

Therefore, personally I think that Pokerstars/iPoker has done a great job to attract all these recreational players and it is up to us to adjust to this trend and not up to the bad players. Also, because these are only three player sitngos, it should be easily achievable to get an average fish to regular ratio of at most 2:1 at the tables. This means, every regular is playing two fishes on average, at least at the low limits. No need to table select at all.

What do you think about this? I've seen that there is a over 100 pages thread of twoplustwo on Spin&Gos, so there must be a controversy about them. :)

Best,
      Bobbs
  • 8 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Bobbs,

I can't really advise on Spin & Goes because I ony really play them when I get freebies, however tonypmm did some nice analysis about iPoker's Twisters (very similar) at Twister - BRM added! (iPoker 3m) which you may find interesting.

Regards

Laz
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Bobbs!

To get to the questions:

-I think it's a very interesting, dynamic and PROFITABLE format
      -There is not much literature on this subject and that's why the games are so soft. But you can learn them if they aren't videos especially for the spins. You need some high quality 3-handed shallow play content(with no ICM) and some solid HU game with 25-30bb effective or less.

After spending some hours playing them, I opinion is:
      -they are very suitable for Heads up hyper grinders. With some 3-handed adjustment, I think they are gonna have the biggest edge on these
      -they are full of fish, especially up to the 15$ level(including)
      -they attract a lot of recreational players due to their lottery element, they are dynamic, end fast and offer a huge reward if you get lucky. Fish love all of it and I believe they are gonna be the hottest SnG format for 2015
      -they are definitely profitable, but big swings can happen. I would still believe swings are gonna be smaller than MTTs
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Like most new things, when they first came out there was overwhelming negativity about them. It's interesting to see the slow shift of support for them that has been happening by more and more respected players.
    • KneleBrat
      KneleBrat
      Bronze
      thats good
    • StarFox1919
      StarFox1919
      Bronze
      It's like any other tournament, only with hyper turbo speed, so you can be profitable on the numbers of tables played.
      Besides, you can win a million dollars in a matter of minutes, like the 2 russian guys 2 weeks ago.
    • Lauwers1992
      Lauwers1992
      Bronze
      Ive played a lot of Spin and Gos and think that they are a waste a lot of the time you are only getting majority of x2 on your stake but you can get the occasional x10 or win a million if your (EXTREMELY LUCKY) but me personally i wouldn't recommend them.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      Yeah the prize structure sucks. Even if you have edge and theoretical positive ROI, most likely the EV will never realize. It is also not just the main prize that's the problem, also the midtiers add huge variance. Let's say you play 10000 SnG and hit some 25x multiplier 7 times and 120x multiplier once. Run bad on those and win just 1 25x? You just lost 70 bin worth of money and ROI.
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      I'm not sure what to make of Spin&Go. I agree with what you say but there is one concern I have. Online poker is tolerated in many countries because the laws are unclear whether poker is gambling or a game of skill. This will not sit well with many legislators as it smacks more of gambling than skill.