folding KK early in mtt tourney

• Wolke678
      Wolke678
      Bronze
      Hey all, wondering if you could give some feedback on my play. Hero is btn with KK. UTG +1 raises to 90 with 4860 chips behind, UTG +2 calls with 5230 behind. Hero raise to 180 with 4690 behind. UTG +1 call, UTG +2 call. Flop comes Jh Ah 7s. UTG +1 check, UTG +2 bets pot 570. I thought about it for the whole timer and folded. Thinking about it later I have ask myself if that was the right move. UTG +2 takes pot. This was hand #9 in FTC #1 for me. I felt it was too early to risk a huge chunk of my stack. Turns out I ground it out until just before the bubble, but it would have been nice to make the money. Any feedback or discussion is welcome.
  • 4 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Wolke678,

I take it this was a FR table, not 6 Max?

In that case, UTG raises generally significant strength, so a lot of his opening range should consist of mid-high pairs and hands that contain Ax, particularly broadway and /or suited connected.

I would prefer the preflop 3Bet to be larger. You really want to fold out one of the villains at least. That way you can play HU in position.

If you fear that you are playing against an Ax type hand, then the fold is fairly regulation because of the relative deepness of the stack sizes. My feeling is if you decided not to fold, you would have had to commit your stack by the river.

Remember also that UTG+2 only wanted to flat preflop. This smells of set mining with pairs such as 77 in which case you are pretty crushed.

Cheers

Laz
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Hey Wolke678,

It's only me again. There are a couple of threads in our NEW Highlighted hands board.

Specifically [Highlight] Can you fold Kings pre? and Highlight Thread - The Nuts Turn into crap.

Cheers :f_thumbsup:

Laz
    • Wolke678
      Wolke678
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback Laz. With some time to reflect on it, I agree my 3 bet was too small. I need to be against only one opponent there. Still don't like folding KK though. I personally take this as a sign that my game is steadily improving, because not that long ago I would have followed it all the way to no return.
    • StandardBacking
      StandardBacking
      Bronze
      3bet larger pre dont just click it back because you price them in to call with A2C really, idealy HU would be nice aswell... as played just fold flop.

every street your hand strength changes, just because you have KK preflop doesnt make it a great hand on every flop... you can go from an 80% favourite pre flop to a 90% dog on the flop. Being able to determine if your hand is still good is what will make you a great poker player.