kesgab
      Bronze
      SB ($68.40)
      Hero ($101)
      UTG ($120)
      CO ($39.50)
      BTN ($110)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: 9:diamond:

fold, CO calls $1, BTN raises to $4.50, fold, Hero calls $3.50, CO calls $3.50,

FLOP ($14) Q:diamond: 2:diamond: K:diamond:

check, check, BTN bets $8, Hero calls $8, CO calls $8,

TURN ($38) Q:diamond: 2:diamond: K:diamond: 8:diamond:

check, check, check,

RIVER ($38) Q:diamond: 2:diamond: K:diamond: 8:diamond: T:diamond:

check, check, BTN bets $24.10, Hero calls $24.10, CO folds,

How do you usually play 99 preflop oop? I tried to figure out but i still don't know. If i 3bet i can't call a 4bet against unknown, so i almost turn my good hand into a bluff. Almost because he can call my 3bet, but that's still not very good being oop with 99 in a 3bet pot. I have 30% to hit a flop by either have overpair or a set. 70% of the cases i will have hard time to play the hand.
      The other option is to call preflop and play against a possibly worse range. But i am still oop and overcards appear usually.

for this hand:
      Can i call on this flop?
      River is a clear mistake i think, i should block/value bet here like $12, only Ace would raise me and then i can fold.
  • 3 replies
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      3bet pre is best, because you have no implieds due to the fact he raises from good position and is isolating. Call would be mainly for set value. On the flop you should fold.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by kesgab
      If i 3bet i can't call a 4bet against unknown, so i almost turn my good hand into a bluff.
      the fact that you have to fold against a raise simply doesn't imply that you shouldn't bet/raise/3bet, etc, and doesn't imply that you are turning your hand into a bluff.

thinking that it does is a very common mistake players make when thinking about this kind decision, be it pre or postflop.
    • kesgab
      kesgab
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      Originally posted by kesgab
      If i 3bet i can't call a 4bet against unknown, so i almost turn my good hand into a bluff.
      the fact that you have to fold against a raise simply doesn't imply that you shouldn't bet/raise/3bet, etc, and doesn't imply that you are turning your hand into a bluff.

thinking that it does is a very common mistake players make when thinking about this kind decision, be it pre or postflop.
      Thanks for the comments.
      After thinking on this problem i realized it also that the playability of 99 oop is too bad to play it by calling.
      When i wrote turning my hand into a bluff, i meant that it's a good hand and maybe there is more value in playing it another way. (I would 3bet here with lower pairs).
      Now the next question for me is how to play TT in the blinds? As i know it's quite borderline to push it if i got 4bet. And TT has 40% to be good on the flop, which might make calling better EV then 3betting. What do you think?

Kruppe, are you saying that villain can also call not just reraise me,
      or is there something else about this common mistake you mentioned? Thanks.