Poker rookie presents himself

• ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Hello all fellow Pokerstrategists!

I am a newly started poker rookie from Finland. Thanks for your excellent poker site, I have gone through all your available articles concerning general and Texas hold'em no limit poker strategy. Thank you also for helpful and friendly discussion here in the forum.

Ever before during my life of 25 years, I have not been very keen on gambling or card games, but I am a huge fan of board games and lately I was lacking seriously board gaming company and I then thought that online poker has a lot of players, so why not to give it a try? At first, I tried to play some poker without real money with my mobile phone, but I soon realized that without stakes the game is just a lottery where very few care about the result. Not good.

I hesitated a bit to start playing for real money, because I was sure that I would be a quite bad player. So I started my journey to poker by reading two books: David Sklansky's Theory of Poker (the contents of which I understood only little if anything) and Phil Gordon's Little Green Book (which was easy to read and digest). I also searched for some other information and found your excellent site about almost anything concerning poker. I also found out that in the best online poker rooms the starting is free: you'll receive some kind of a starting bonus so I reasoned that if I lose a poker room's money in my way to learn the game I don't waste anything my own other than time. And whereas playing the game is supposed to be fun, I WANT to spend/waste my time on it.

After figuring my way out of that trouble I made an account to Unibet online poker room and received 10 € cash game ticket to be used in 0,02/0,04 € no limit Texas hold'em. I have played according to Gordon's book and the advice of this site and now I have tripled the original 10€ to something that is little more than 30€ (although, tomorrow it probably will be something else, less or more). Now I have also "walked through" the conditions of the bonus (playing 750 flops) and money provided by it is now on my account.

I have noticed that when I play according to your starting hand table, I will make money. However, sometimes I start to speculate with marginal hands, like well-he's-bad-player-and-is-limping-why-not-to-play-this-K9s-surely-he-does-not-have-anything-oh-he-had-hands. I try to be Tom Dwan and usually regret that immediately. So paradoxically, if I play two tables at the same time, I'm playing better game than in one table. It is mostly because in one table I get bored without good hole cards and start to play with all kinds of crap. However, I usually play only one table at a time so I can concentrate more on the game and my opponents and learn more about the game.

I like to think about my playing style as a TAG, but sometimes I have come to doubt that. Occasionally I am afraid that I play like a nit and sometimes like a LAG. However, one thing is sure: I am an aggressive player.

To tell something else about myself, I work as a logistics engineer in a large mechanical engineering company and my education is M.Sc. (in engineering). I have a wife and in addition to playing games, my other beloved hobbies are reading and endurance sports.

Have successful and enjoyable games!

Regards,

ruastinraata
  • 10 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey ruastinraata,

Welcome to the forums :welcome:

:appl: That is one epic first post. :f_drink: You seem to have a terrific mindset for poker which you will need to be able to deal with variance. Keep learning and improving your post flop ability and you will know when and how to play some of those marginal hands.

Make sure you check out our free money offers. This will cost you nothing and will give you lifetime Bronze status.

Bronze will give you a tracked room to earn SPs, the ability to send friend requests and PMs through our community tool as well as opening up more strategy and videos.

Make sure you get yourself added to our Member map. It's run by my Finnish colleague and I'm sure he would be disappointed if you didn't. :f_tongue: You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door.

If you have any questions or need any advice, just post and there will be someone from our helpful community to help. :f_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Thank you, Lazza61, for your kind words!

I hope my mindset will withstand inexorable setbacks :) We'll see that.

Surely I'll do what you suggested.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I agree with Lazza, that was a quite interesting first post. :f_thumbsup:

Maybe you would like to start your own blog in our blogs section? I'm sure it would be a good read, and would also give you the opportunity to share your progress with us and get advice on your game.

See you around!
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Thanks for you for commenting!

I have to think about starting the blog. Actually, before your post I had no idea to do so and I may occasionally be a bit pressed for time, but, in turn, reflecting my game by writing and receiving comments would surely be highly beneficial.

See ya!
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      A short update after four months of the first post.

I have been playing generally Unibet's NL4, sometimes more and sometimes a bit less, probably averaged an hour per day, some days including couple of hours (like this) and some days not at all. I tested also William Hill, but did not like the software and a small sample seems to propose that the competition is tougher, even at NL2.

Currently, my bankroll at Unibet is smiling at its historical top, 121,65€. Quite well, if considering that all is result of the free starting capital of 10€. However, this is the point where we should not concentrate on hourly rates though... It's better think of poker more as a game and fun than a source of money!

Last month, I had a big downswing, something like 6 buy-inns, and after having been climbed out of that pit I fell into another, as big as its predecessor. Downswing of 6 buy-inns does not sound big, but it is when your bankroll is 14 BIs, where it was at the lowest of these swings. I may have even learned something about the downswings, to what is to say, the variance is always present in poker. If I have a very good session, I like to think that it all is result of my skills, and if I have a bad session, I think it's just my bad luck and because the game sucks. By the way, I have a quite unbiased view of my skills, don't you think so?

I also bought Tendler's The Mental Game of Poker and that book gave me some lessons that I needed. Now I have got rid of the fish-sucked-out-tilt, but gained instead the they-are-pushing-me-around-tilt. It's also easier to handle the variance when your BR is solid, which it currently is for me to play NL4, speaking of which... I have been trying NL10 at Unibet in a couple of sessions. The competition, which in Unibet's NL4 is in my opinion VERY soft, is not much harder in NL10, the opponents are just more aggressive, and this is something where I have a lot to learn. Playing NL10 with the bankroll size of 120€ does not actually fulfill the conditions of the BRM recommended here, but currently I want a bit more challenging game than just grinding NL4. My backup to solid bankroll is to stop playing at NL10 whenever the amount of money in the bankroll drops under 100€.

In order to learn poker, I have watched and read confidant91's beginner course, big thanks for him. In addition, I have read forum posts from here and also became familiar with Ryan Fee's six max guide, but I don't know whether the latter is good or not. At least, it requires some attention to read, because Mr. Fee, a good player he might be, obviously is not William Shakespeare reborn.

See you at the tables!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Awesome :appl: Sounds like you are making really good progress. :happy:
    • svonja
      svonja
      Bronze
      Hello, welcome and good luck at the tables.
    • ClaudePri889
      ClaudePri889
      Basic
      Its nice that you play at two table, I never tried that... I really like too but then I know that I will lose in both. One of mate on [edited by Harrier88] once played 4 table at once and won in 3. It was luck I guess.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi ClaudePri889,

I had to edit your post, since links to competitors are not allowed in this forum.

For further info, please see our forum principles.
    • ontherivervv
      ontherivervv
      Bronze
      I also red David Sklanskys book it's one of the best book to buy . Played in pokerstars for fun and to learn while reading a book went from 1k free chips to 45 million in 2 weeks :) And also you talking about poker players who cares abou game not money playing for 2 year didn't play against such players only pokerstars and other same room robot grinders :) Im don't know all things about poker but made some money playing my advice is don't play online if you want enjoy this game !