CSI / M factor considerations

• tzoun
      tzoun
      Bronze
      Hello! I want to discuss something that I have been thinking for some weeks. When you have a CSI around 10 (~15-25 blinds) in which the advice from the books is to wait for re-steal and I find it very usefull. Obviously there are enough spots that is better to raise / call (induce action), but if you use this you should also have some spots to raise / fold for balance. It's ok about that although in many situations from early position you cant really raise / fold cause I think the stack that you will sacrifice for your steal is very valuable to you and if the chances to steal are not very high I don't think its profitable.
      Lets say you have about 20 blinds (there are antes) and you are from middle position, the blinds are normal players and you expect from them to play some flops. Do you prefer to min-raise with some hand that has good postflop playability lets say QJs but the chance to steal is not extremly high or wait for an opportunity to re-steal? Also you get the side effect with your image, and if they think of you as an aggressive player your good hands will be paid and mostly for you hole stack in these situations.
  • 3 replies
    • julito23
      julito23
      Gold
      Hi tzoun. You are right that conserving a +15bb stack is very valuable because it allows you to resteal and have some fold equity. However, you still want to have a min raise fold range with 15-25bb. First, min raising with a short stack size looks strong, so you won´t get restolen extremely wide. Secondly, this allows to have the option to fold vs a nit, and call vs an aggressive player with certain medium strength hands. Third, you want to get action with your big hands, and therefore you need to be balanced, i.e. having a min raise range that includes other hands besides your monsters. Finally, you can still play postflop with hands that have decent playability, like the QJs you suggested.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Very nice answer julito =)
      Couldn't have written it better.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • uglyboy88
      uglyboy88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tzoun
      Hello! I want to discuss something that I have been thinking for some weeks. When you have a CSI around 10 (~15-25 blinds) in which the advice from the books is to wait for re-steal and I find it very usefull. Obviously there are enough spots that is better to raise / call (induce action), but if you use this you should also have some spots to raise / fold for balance. It's ok about that although in many situations from early position you cant really raise / fold cause I think the stack that you will sacrifice for your steal is very valuable to you and if the chances to steal are not very high I don't think its profitable.
      Lets say you have about 20 blinds (there are antes) and you are from middle position, the blinds are normal players and you expect from them to play some flops. Do you prefer to min-raise with some hand that has good postflop playability lets say QJs but the chance to steal is not extremly high or wait for an opportunity to re-steal? Also you get the side effect with your image, and if they think of you as an aggressive player your good hands will be paid and mostly for you hole stack in these situations.
      stealing is very essential in MTTs, so try to mr steal a lot even till 6bbs you can do that