[NL2-NL10] NL10 SSS freeplay TP

• deadcat
      deadcat
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($6.05)
      MP1 ($12.35)
      MP2 ($10)
      MP3 ($5.35)
      CO ($1.30)
      Button ($2.70)
      SB ($6.30)
      Hero (BB) ($1.85)
      UTG ($2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 4
      5 folds, CO calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.40) 8, K, 2 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, 1 fold, Button calls $0.40, 1 fold

Turn: ($1.20) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.35 (All-In), Button calls $1.35

River: ($3.90) Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $3.90 | Rake: $0.15

I realize TP with no kicker should be check/folded, but I still need you guys to kick me in the head for it to sink in...
  • 9 replies
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      You're behind most of the time here. You definitely can't push Turn without reads.

Just Check/Fold situations like this till you're more experienced please. They can lose you a lot of money.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      *kicks you in the head for sinking it*

Try to remember, in freeplay situations you have to be tighter, not looser than when you are the preflop aggressor, specially in multiway pots. ;)
    • exorcism
      exorcism
      Bronze
      KICK :)

For a freeplay, just bet with J+ kicker
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deadcat
      I realize TP with no kicker should be check/folded, but I still need you guys to kick me in the head for it to sink in...
      Hello Deadcat,

Can you imagine what kind of hands call you during the flop? I can imagine Flushdraws, better King pair with a higher kicker than yours as common holdings of your opponents.

The Turn is not a good card for you since it will complete a flush and you are drawing dead. Since SSS play regulate that if you start betting ont he Flop, you should continue betting on the Turn when headsup. This will get you into trouble a lot in freeplays and costs you an awful lot of valuable money

Therefore I suggest for Beginners that you only play 2 pair or better on Freeplays. The rest of the holdings is an easy check/fold untill you reached Silver and are ready to play strong draws according to odds/outs

I hope this makes sense,
      Gerv
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by exorcism
      KICK :)

For a freeplay, just bet with J+ kicker
      Make that K+ ;)
    • deadcat
      deadcat
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone :heart:

And congrats Gerv!
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Gerv is a good judge yes? I certainly back him up. The only time I ever bet top pair/no kicker is in a blind vs blind and it is checked to me, and even then it has to be Q+, otherwise c/f
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by davidangel
      Gerv is a good judge yes? I certainly back him up. The only time I ever bet top pair/no kicker is in a blind vs blind and it is checked to me, and even then it has to be Q+, otherwise c/f
      O blind battles are totally another galaxy :D I don't have so much experience as coaches so they should tell us more ;)
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      This is no blindbattle really, but in freeplay situations you should only regard your hand as a made hand with Top Pair and at least K kicker.

But this rule only applies to freeplay situations!!!

In normal situations where you raised preflop, Top Pair with J kicker is already enough to regard as a made hand.

Another easy thing with freeplay-situations, if you don't trust it, just play check/fold. Folding is free since you haven't invested anything yet. I preferred to play only Top Pair with A kicker in freeplay situations, these days I also play K kicker. However, the lower you get the more dangerous it gets, so I'd say K kicker and higher.