This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

About odds and percentage!

    • bmarton01
      Joined: 23.02.2012 Posts: 7

      i just want to know if every professional poker player is calculating his chances in odds or percentage?I know USA is very familiar with odds but europeans not so much so my question is...Is there other way of calculating chances in a poker hand besides odds that can be easier,such as percentges?And something else,european pros also do their chances in odds?

      Thank you.
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 10,706
      Hi, bmarton01,
      I'll have a stab at explaining.

      The word "chance" implies percentage.
      For example, if you have a 25% chance of winning, then 75% of the time you lose.

      The word "odds" compares those two numbers:
      So in the example above, the odds against winning are 75:25 or 3:1

      Odds are usually expressed as "something to one"
      Converting between the two is easy.
      To convert from odds to chances, just add the two numbers together to get the denominator, and use either of the others as the numerator.
      So 3+1 is 4, and 1/4 is 25%

      Going from chances to odds is a wee bit trickier.
      Let's use a 40% chance of winning
      1 - 0.4 = 0.6
      So the odds are 0.6:0.4 or 1.5:1 against.

      Let's use an example where the chance of winning is > 50%
      Let's imagine we have an 80% chance of winning.
      So the odds are 80:20 or 4:1 in favour.

      Note that we use X:1 in both directions, just using "against" or "in favour" as needed.

      I hope that helps,
    • Harrier88
      Joined: 01.05.2012 Posts: 2,167
      It should also be noted that the reason why poker players use odds as their way of determining their chances to win the hand is that odds are easier to compare against the pot odds.

      If, for example, you have a flush draw and your opponent is giving you pot odds of 3:1, it is much more intuitive to compare it against your chance of making your hand if you write it as 4:1 (against you) instead of 19.15%.

      To get back to your original question, I don't know any poker players, European or not, who do not express their chance of winning in these situations as odds, for the reasons mentioned above.

      Displaying the chance of winning in percentage may be more convenient in situations where there is no decision to be made, for example in an all-in situation, or for the spectators at home if a tournament is broadcast on television.
    • bmarton01
      Joined: 23.02.2012 Posts: 7
      thank you very much.Very helpful!