How can I be better in Poker?

• RetireD2019
      RetireD2019
      Platinum
      Hello.. I am an old player and I am still wondering how can I be better poker player. I had some break for the last few months, I've never beat NL50 and now I can't even deal with NL10... There was time in my career when I was learning a lot (no results) moreover, I've got 2 coaches (one for about 2months, and before my last break for about 1 year) despite the fact that I was doing what they were saying I am still low player. I dont want to believe that I dont have "touch" to play poker, I want to believe that I haven't find the way yet to be good.. not the best but simply good.

I would like to improve my Poker but I dont know how... What should I do? What the players who are good are doing?

Help me guys... I need something, sometimes the small thing will be that HUGE !
  • 23 replies
    • RetireD2019
      RetireD2019
      Platinum
      nothing?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, RetireD2019,
      Sorry, my computer was down :coolface:

How is your mental game?
      Do you tilt much?
      What is your playing style? Nit? Lag? Tag?

Do you play too many tables?
      Perhaps you don't play enough and get bored/

So hard to give sound suggestions without knowing the starting point.

Since you're posting this, I'm going to assume that you've read the standard articles, watched a bunch of videos, and participated in several live coaching sessions.

If you're not doing all that, then start!
      If you are, then have a look at your mental game.

All the best,
      VS
    • unknownx13
      unknownx13
      Platinum
      Get a cat. Cat gives you +15% in coinflips
    • RetireD2019
      RetireD2019
      Platinum
      I dont really feel that I am tilting... I feel nothing when I am playing, just smiling. I am playing 22/18/3b: 7 on ZOOM. (I was trying everything, 2 normal, 4normal, 9normal,12normal,1 zoom, 2 zoom, 3 zoom, 4 zoom) I've red all of the articles on the pokerstrategy and watched so many videos. I am guessing that it doesnt work.

I am marking every hard hand during my session and analyzing it before my next session... Maybe I have weak basics, dunno...
      What shall I do? Watching films for begginers? I will but tell me which one... Work on my Postflop game? sure, give me advice how can I start.

I need spark...
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by RetireD2019
      I need spark...
      I know that feeling...

I looks like you use a tracker and play 22/18 which looks not too bad.
      How many hands in your database?

If it is over about 50,000 then maybe some pattern is beginning to emerge that Leakbuster can help with. In HM2 there are positional reports that might be revealing, and your long term graphs might help too.

Cheers,
      VS
    • Skaya971
      Skaya971
      Bronze
      +1 for Leakbuster :f_thumbsup:
    • wahbby
      wahbby
      Bronze
      https://www.youtube.com/user/Mr50free
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      If what you know has not been working I would start fresh with your poker learning curve. I would start with this series "W34z3l's Walkthrough". Some of it might be basic but it does progress into some more advance topic such as flatting from the button more. ( this is advanced for me because I would never flat because I hate playing out of position). If you do watch the videos take notes on every key point and then re-watch the video. This reinforces what is being taught on the video. The video needs to be studied and then applied to your poker game.
    • vincenttafolla979
      vincenttafolla979
      Basic
      Posting hands in the forum is one of the best way to improve your skill. Follow the instructions of expert poker players. Read some poker training books, articles, watch video tutorials etc. Poker by the Book has also helped me a lot to improve my poker skill.
    • vincenttafolla979
      vincenttafolla979
      Basic
      Originally posted by Skaya971
      +1 for Leakbuster :f_thumbsup:
      I second that for Leak Buster too.
    • Paoboi
      Paoboi
      Bronze
      Hello.. I am an old player and I am still wondering how can I be better poker player. I had some break for the last few months, I've never beat NL50 and now I can't even deal with NL10... There was time in my career when I was learning a lot (no results) moreover, I've got 2 coaches (one for about 2months, and before my last break for about 1 year) despite the fact that I was doing what they were saying I am still low player. I dont want to believe that I dont have "touch" to play poker, I want to believe that I haven't find the way yet to be good.. not the best but simply good.

I would like to improve my Poker but I dont know how... What should I do? What the players who are good are doing?

Help me guys... I need something, sometimes the small thing will be that HUGE !
      As they said patience is the key!
    • bluesuxan
      bluesuxan
      Bronze
      just playing with your insting.........!!!
    • adelaar
      adelaar
      Gold
      Exercise with Poker Snowie. He gives you the answer of how to play a hand.
      Free trial 30 days.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      I dont really feel that I am tilting... I feel nothing when I am playing, just smiling. I am playing 22/18/3b: 7 on ZOOM. (I was trying everything, 2 normal, 4normal, 9normal,12normal,1 zoom, 2 zoom, 3 zoom, 4 zoom) I've red all of the articles on the pokerstrategy and watched so many videos. I am guessing that it doesnt work.

I am marking every hard hand during my session and analyzing it before my next session... Maybe I have weak basics, dunno...
      What shall I do? Watching films for begginers? I will but tell me which one... Work on my Postflop game? sure, give me advice how can I start.

I need spark...
      There is some great videos on fundamentals for micro stakes players, I'd recommend Double2's 10Tips to get out of micros;
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#searchtext=doub&key=all&contenttype=0&gametype=0&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver,gold,platinum,diamond&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

W34z3l's Walkthrough
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#searchtext=walkthrough&key=all&contenttype=0&gametype=0&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver,gold,platinum,diamond&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=30

And Uri's latest video on micro stakes
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/36759/

I'd definitely recommend seeing the last one and how Uri Plays - if you 4 table regular focused taking notes your winrate will naturally increase and you will naturally move up if you don't cash out if you are breaking even at multitabling.

Other regs that are playing many zoom tables or multitabling autopilot simply can't compete with the extra attention you put on reads, tableselection and making decisions when you play 4 tables and focus hard. I play for a living at microstakes, cashout humongous amounts BB terms speaking every month but have recently decided to do the same and simply put in more hours after speaking to some great minds in poker.

Whatever you decide to do though, stick to it. When you watch a video, watch it a couple times then apply those few concepts at the tables without new things . It seems like you are jumping between variants, run bad and jump into something else so you never get really good at one thing? It's all about finding what you are best at, what suits your strengths and then sticking to it even if it means grinding through tough times.
    • Lippisch
      Lippisch
      Bronze
      Sorry maybe wrong threat, but... How important are hand reading skills in micro limits. I mean can you always do certain standard bet/ raise / call or whatever?
    • bookai
      bookai
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lippisch
      Sorry maybe wrong threat, but... How important are hand reading skills in micro limits. I mean can you always do certain standard bet/ raise / call or whatever?
      Every skill you develop increases your winrate at any limit you are playing. When in doubt, always learn the most you can :f_thumbsup:
    • hud400
      hud400
      Basic
      You have to be willing to accept the idea you are sometimes wrong. You must review your ideas and
      be honest with your self.
      Read articles, books, view videos and be willing to throw away many of your old ideas or feelings
      you have hung on to in the past.
      You need to recognize that online poker and it's tool has put you behind especially online. Set a goal to learn to change your knowledge and your style of play. good luck.
    • c0wking
      c0wking
      Bronze
      What's your volume? I think that's the biggest obstacle to overcome in micros (without tilting). It's hard to play high volume consistently with constant suckouts, winning 10 buy-ins and then losing 9 in 30 minutes to shit happens.

How many hands have you played? Obviously zoom = smaller winrate = more hands required.
    • RetireD2019
      RetireD2019
      Platinum
      Originally posted by c0wking
      What's your volume? I think that's the biggest obstacle to overcome in micros (without tilting). It's hard to play high volume consistently with constant suckouts, winning 10 buy-ins and then losing 9 in 30 minutes to shit happens.

How many hands have you played? Obviously zoom = smaller winrate = more hands required.
      I was making huge volumes.. but I don't have problems with NL2 or NL5 right now.. I was playing it for the last two months with ~8bb/100? The main problem is to play higher. I was lowing down from NL50 until I've reach NL2 ~~ IMO, main reason that I am bad right now is that my poker mindset is not cooperating with my life's problems. I am pretty sure that I was playing better when my life didnt mess up.

btw, I've created a blog... Poker which tiON plays *SH I hope that this will be a spark !