Spin&Go or Sit&Go ?

• KosttuxxRNMD
      KosttuxxRNMD
      Bronze
      Hello.
      I just made my deposit and thinking to start playing poker. I try before play poker and of all I like most two kinds of nlhm poker Spin&Go and Sit&Go.
      In Your opinion which game type is easer and what should i start play?
  • 15 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      My personal opinion is SNG’s easier to play, the swings are not that high to compare with the Spin & Go’s and easier to beat on the micro stakes.

What kind of SNG’s your in mind to start with?

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      It's about personal preferences, I like to play either. When I'm short on time I prefer spins, they take up a lot of concentration though. That's why I prefer sit and go's and MTT's for longer sessions. More relaxing to play, even when 6 tabling.
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      As a starting player I would not recommend spins btw, to much variance and you only learn a small aspect of the game (shorthanded play). Try beating some 0,25 or 1$ 45 table sit and go's first and see how that works out for you.
    • vincenttafolla979
      vincenttafolla979
      Basic
      I recommend for S&G. I am learning the rules of sit and go with an amazing training package S&G Booster. It has helped me a lot to build the fundamentals of S&G in me.
    • faberyajo
      faberyajo
      Basic
      Spin and go is more difficicult because of the chipstack. You start with 500 chips. Quite often you have to push or fold. You often get called with less hands but loose on the river. So I prefer playing sit and goes.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Your push/fold should be good for sure in Spin & Go’s, but in Sit & Go’s you can also lose often with the best starting hand on the river. That ‘s in every format the same.
    • aymanas
      aymanas
      Basic
      sng is wayyyy better :)
    • StarFox1919
      StarFox1919
      Bronze
      Depends, the sit and go's may have a better structure in terms of time. Spin and go is very fast and you need to practice to get used to.
      I would recommend sit and go's first, and when you start to get profitable, go to the spin and go.
    • ilostmysoul
      ilostmysoul
      Bronze
      Play SNGs, stay away from Spins. Spins are lottery-like, so you will lose a lot of money, or start by winning and end up losing anyways. Unless you play $7 Spin & Go's (that's the amount where the game gets serious) then forget about them, you might as well bet on a coin toss. Spins have nothing to do with skill, only luck, and often it's correct to shove on a gutshot.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ilostmysoul
      Play SNGs, stay away from Spins. Spins are lottery-like, so you will lose a lot of money, or start by winning and end up losing anyways. Unless you play $7 Spin & Go's (that's the amount where the game gets serious) then forget about them, you might as well bet on a coin toss. Spins have nothing to do with skill, only luck, and often it's correct to shove on a gutshot.
      I disagree. Spins are definitely more game of luck than other formats but it`s possible to make money from it just like from any other SnG. However I would not recommend it to those who are learning SnGs.
    • ilostmysoul
      ilostmysoul
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Originally posted by ilostmysoul
      I disagree. Spins are definitely more game of luck than other formats but it`s possible to make money from it just like from any other SnG. However I would not recommend it to those who are learning SnGs.
      I've made some money grinding $2 and $5 Spins but eventually I hit a downswing, even tho I put all the money in there as favorite. The 1-5 buy-ins are geared towards recreational players, who are just there to feel the thrill of being behind and losing. Not that unusual for me to lose at 70%, sometimes even 95+%. This okay for a few 2 or 3 games (sometimes, other times you lose at 80-90% twice in a row), but then variance sets in.

Not only that, you never know the prizes. Getting into a game with this much variance just to get 2xBI is unprofitable by anyone's standards.
      Hence the $7. Everyone I know who makes solid profit plays on $7. There are very few to none rec players there, and even the 2 x BI is now a good profit.

Are Spins profitable? Yes. For Stars, and for Stars only. The rake is immensely big and it doesn't contribute much to the prize pool. You're donating money to Stars. Unless you play $7 or up, or you hit a jackpot on the lower buy-ins, you're doomed to failure. This is the general consensus all around, and I tend to agree with it based on my experience and reg players I know on Spins. I only play Spins now if I want to win FPPs fast, which is the only reason I'd ever recommend anyone play low BIs Spins.

Just my opinion though. Don't want to sound too arrogant but Spins are one of those things that have costed me too much bankroll before while I was a huge favorite, and I have a ton of research done on them.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Greetings, lost soul-person. I have just blogged about Twisters [the i-poker equivalent of Spin and Gos] in my epic : 'The cards mock me'. I think this format was designed by the sites as a rake-magnet for muppet gamblers. Certainly at entry level stakes, my impression is that, if you have TWO maniacs to contend with at fast, high, blind-levels, one of them is likely to nail you.

I can't see that SNGs could possibly be a worse format for the player.
    • ilostmysoul
      ilostmysoul
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Glopslart
      Greetings, lost soul-person. I have just blogged about Twisters [the i-poker equivalent of Spin and Gos] in my epic : 'The cards mock me'. I think this format was designed by the sites as a rake-magnet for muppet gamblers. Certainly at entry level stakes, my impression is that, if you have TWO maniacs to contend with at fast, high, blind-levels, one of them is likely to nail you.

I can't see that SNGs could possibly be a worse format for the player.
      Exactly what I was trying to say, couldn't have said it better, thank you :)
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      I have to agree with lostmysoul, Spins/ Twisters are designed to pay off the sites that run them. The first sign the you're entering the domain of lady luck is of course the big flashy wheel that determines the prize pool. I tried a few just for laughs and I never got more than a 2 x BI prize pool. Then you have to consider the fact that 3 players enter play but the average payout is only what 2 players bought in for. So the 3rd player's buy in obviously goes to the house to make up the rare "jackpot" prize pools. How often you'll hit a jackpot is a discussion for a statistics group but I'm pretty sure the house comes out on top.

Obviously nobody is saying you should avoid Spins at all cost. If you go into it knowing that you're playing a lottery with rather bad odds, and you feel lucky, they can be fun. However I would strongly advice you not to play them as a means to boost a small bankroll. Trust me, the odds are not in your favor to hit the jackpot prize pool and even should you get that lucky you'd still have to play flip with 2 other guys.

So I guess it comes down to what size bankroll you have and what your goals are. If you're on a small bankroll and want to improve it play SNG or even MTT. If you're even a half decent player you'll get a much better return on investment.
    • omega21
      omega21
      Bronze
      For the begginer I would sugest to start with SNGs, there is smaller variance, smaller swings, and micros is simplier to beat with some basic strategy- lots of recriational players apperar in the field. best of luck!