Slowly rushing upwards

• Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      Hello fellow pokerplayers. My name is Gijs. I'm Dutch, 22 years of age and started playing poker around 2007 (had a summer job selling icecream at the time). Poker used to be 'hot' on my highschool, and during our lunchbreaks, we would often(secretly, as it wasn't allowed obviously) play for a couple euro's. It wasn't long before I started playing online. In the beginning just for playmoney, but obviously this didn't feel quite the same as our secret live games, playing for a lunchbox full of pocket change, hidden under the table (thuglife) :f_biggrin: . I didn't really want to make a deposit either, so I started to look for alternatives, which quickly lead me to here. I created an account on Partypoker and pretty much donked around a bit, believe I lost my roll in the end and therefore decided to make a small deposit on FullTilt, with which I started to play the rush games, which then were still relatively new and I believe exclusive to FullTilt.

I was playing pretty much breakeven here I guess, but thanks to some luckboxing in the $1 rushtourneys, I built my roll up to around $300 pretty quickly and started playing 10NL, had to move down, played too agressive as a result and had to move down again, after which I was kind of done with it. By this time I left highscool, and went to university and kind of forgot about poker. I played some hands every once in a while, but most of the time primarily for shits 'n giggles. Actually taking poker seriously and find out how far I could come if I would really give it my best shot never really left my mind. However, there just wasn't the time and opportunity for this, whilst living in a noisy and crowded studentflat where the booze is infinitely available.

About two months ago now, I was somehow triggered to randomply play some hands again, but this time kind of stuck to it. I had about $10 left and started playing NLHE 6max rush. Soon, I wasn't able to reload whilst playing on 2 tables, but eventually managed to turn it around and grind it back up. Took two failed shots at NL5, where I lost 8 BI in under 3k hands and am currently still clinging around $70, slowly grinding my roll back op...

NL2 graph (first 20k hands are missing)

NL5 graph :facepalm:

In about half a year, I expect to graduate from uni and untill then I have a reasonable amount of time available to play poker. After years of playing for fun every now and then, I now intend to give poker a real shot and see where I can get in 6 months. I haven't really set any money goals, as I believe this will make me focus on making money, instead of improving my pokerskill. And I believe that, in order to make money, I would be better off getting a job :D . I would like to succesfully, and properly rolled, play at NL25 in 6 months.

I intend to use a somewhat nitty bankrollmanagement, in order to move down the stakes as little as possible.

To achieve my goal, I have set some sidegoals. I think they are realistic and not that hard to maintain for a 6 month period. I will often be doing a lot more than my minimum, but I intend to keep my goals realistic when my motivation drops. I expect this to take me 12-15 hours each week.

Poker goals:
      :diamond: Play 30k hands each month
      :diamond: Take 5 minute breaks each hour, or when slightly tilting
      :diamond: Stick to 5 BI stoploss
      :diamond: Evaluate hands for atleast 15 minutes after playing a session, using Equilab.
      :diamond: Call less riverbets with marginal hands

Study goals:
      :diamond: Watch 2 video's a week
      - W34z3l's 6max walktrough (post homework 2 thread)
      - Double2's 10 tips to get out of the micro's
      - Suggestions for other good vids are very welcome!

:diamond: Post 5 hands a week to forums
      :diamond: Respond to 10 hands a week on forums

Blog goals:
      :diamond: at least 2 updates a week
      :diamond: weekly graph
      :diamond: fun hands
      :diamond: Show hands in which I failed (tilted) miserably --> show them to the world, and punish myself for my fishyness and impatience :coolface:
      :diamond: perhaps some personal stuff; hobby's etc. (fishing, cooking, annual hiking trip)

Other poker related goals:
      :diamond: find a way to get gold status (fulltilt and stars are untracked)
      :diamond: investigate how I like other clients where I can still create a tracked account
      :diamond: decide if I want to buy PT4 or HM2 (currently testrunning both)
      :diamond: set up (or steal) an amazing HUD

At first, this blog will probably not stand out amidst the overwhelming amount of 6max rush/zoom/speed blogs that are available. I guess my main goal with this blog right now is just to keep myself entertained and motivated, drag myself out of the grind every now and then. Hopefully after a while it will start to stand out and be worth a read. I'll do my very best!

That's it for now. Stay tuned for upgrades.
  • 12 replies
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      Played a short session of 700 hands, ended up +18BB. Also configured HM2 (stole hud from Alleen86 in w34z3ls 6max walktrough thread) looks and works great.

Funny little hand... (biggest one of the session though)

SB: $1.99 (99.5 bb)
      BB: $0.98 (49 bb)
      UTG: $1.86 (93 bb)
      MP: $3.07 (153.5 bb)
      CO: $1.40 (70 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $3.13 (156.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 8 A
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.04, SB folds, BB calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.09) A K K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.05, BB calls $0.05

Turn: ($0.19) K (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.12, BB calls $0.12

River: ($0.43) T (2 players)
      BB bets $0.28, Hero raises to $0.87
      , BB calls $0.49 and is all-in

Results: $1.97 pot ($0.09 rake)
      Final Board: A K K K T
      BB mucked 2 5 and lost (-$0.98 net)
      Hero showed 8 A and won $1.88 ($0.90 net)

Guess KJo is too week for a squeeze OOP. After 3 bet bluffing preflop I really like to make a big C-bet on dry flops, as villains will give you credit for having KK+ way too often imo. Didn't work this time though... Should fold pre here.

SB: $0.69 (34.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.92 (146 bb)
      UTG: $1.41 (70.5 bb)
      MP: $2.47 (123.5 bb)
      CO: $1.31 (65.5 bb)
      BTN: $2.98 (149 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K J
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.20, CO calls $0.14, BTN calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.61) 7 6 2 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.42, CO folds, BTN calls $0.42

Turn: ($1.45) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.16, Hero folds

Results: $1.45 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: 7 6 2 Q
      Hero mucked K J and lost (-$0.62 net)
      BTN mucked and won $1.38 ($0.76 net)
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      Played 4 sessions today, about 2000 hands in total. Played short sessions of about an hour, with long breaks inbetween, which seems to work quite well in order to keep me focussed. Ended up spewing a bit during last session, because of being tired, so decided to stop. Over all ~+7BI for today, which is a really nice result. Over all games were very soft today, walked into some ideal spots and only made a few spewy actions.

BR:

Important lesson: don't slowplay aces.

Full Tilt, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, Rush, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $3.65 (182.5 bb)
      BB: $2.78 (139 bb)
      UTG: $1.33 (66.5 bb)
      MP: $2 (100 bb)
      CO: $1.94 (97 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $3.03 (151.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q Q
      UTG raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.06, SB calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.24) Q 8 5 (4 players)
      SB bets $0.44, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.15, SB calls $0.71

Turn: ($2.54) 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.44 and is all-in, Hero calls $1.82

River: ($6.18) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $6.18 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: Q 8 5 7 K
      SB showed A A and won $0.00 (-$3.03 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $5.88 ($2.85 net)

Or minbet them........

SB: $1.41 (70.5 bb)
      BB: $6.62 (331 bb)
      UTG: $1.63 (81.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $2.46 (123 bb)
      CO: $2.20 (110 bb)
      BTN: $5.26 (263 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 2 2
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.05, CO raises to $0.10, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.23) 2 9 T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.13, Hero raises to $0.37, CO raises to $0.61, Hero raises to $2.36 and is all-in, CO calls $1.49 and is all-in

Turn: ($4.43) 6 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($4.43) 4 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $4.43 pot ($0.22 rake)
      Final Board: 2 9 T 6 4
      Hero showed 2 2 and won $4.21 ($2.01 net)
      CO showed A A and lost (-$2.20 net)

:profit:

Spewed a bit in this hand... Villain is playing 50/38 over a small sample of 17 hands. He had pretty much the hand I put him on here, but shouldn't bluff this kind of villain.

SB: $1.04 (52 bb)
      BB: $1.26 (63 bb)
      UTG: $2.23 (111.5 bb)
      MP: $2.79 (139.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $5.79 (289.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K J
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.05, BTN folds, SB raises to $0.12, BB folds, Hero calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.26) 7 5 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.26) 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09

River: ($0.44) T (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.22, SB calls $0.22

Results:
      $0.88 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 7 5 8 7 T
      SB showed A Q and won $0.84 ($0.41 net)
      Hero showed K J and lost (-$0.43 net)

Tomorrow, I will upload a graph since friday. Climbed out of a big hole today, hope I can keep it up tomorrow. Probablly won't be able to play a lot for the rest of the week.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Lol. Remind me not to get AA when I'm on a table with you. :sifflote:
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Welcome to blogs Icecreamboy and gl! :)
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Lol. Remind me not to get AA when I'm on a table with you. :sifflote:
      LOL just paid back the full amount in one hand with those bloody rockets... Really misplayed this one, should not try to induce a 5bet preflop by 4betting this small. Also bet flop bigger and consider giving up on the turn?

Hero (SB): $3.17 (158.5 bb)
      BB: $3.50 (175 bb)
      UTG: $2.37 (118.5 bb)
      MP: $2.15 (107.5 bb)
      CO: $1.99 (99.5 bb)
      BTN: $2.13 (106.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A A
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.05, BB raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.41, BB calls $0.26

Flop: ($0.82) 7 T 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, BB calls $0.55

Turn: ($1.92) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.21 and is all-in, BB calls $2.21

River: ($6.34) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $6.34 pot ($0.31 rake)
      Final Board: 7 T 8 Q J
      Hero showed A A and lost (-$3.17 net)
      BB showed T T and won $6.03 ($2.86 net)

Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Welcome to blogs Icecreamboy and gl! :)
      Thank you!

Went fishing today, which has been a hobby of mine all my life. Since I'm from a coastal area originally, I primarily enjoy beachfishing. Right now is kinda off season, but last time I went was around christmas, so decided to give it a go. Only went for a short session, as it was really cold and I didn't expect many fish around. Cought myself one little codling, which I returned to it's mother (older picture of similar fish in spoiler). Let's see if there's more fish around on the tables :pokerface:
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      First weekly graph! Actually it's from friday till wednesday and I intend to post weekly graphs every weekend, but since I don't expect to play for the next couple days, I might aswell post it right now. First 4k hands are all from friday. Combination of being tired, running bad and tilting a little. I have incorporated a 5BI stoploss because of it.

Roll:

Speak of funny lines with aces...

SB: $2.39 (119.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2 (100 bb)
      UTG: $2.73 (136.5 bb)
      MP: $1.08 (54 bb)
      CO: $1.49 (74.5 bb)
      BTN: $2.28 (114 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 K
      2 folds, CO calls $0.02, BTN folds, SB completes, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.06) 7 Q 9 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.06) 5 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($0.06) K (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.03, CO folds, SB raises to $0.12, Hero raises to $0.28, SB calls $0.16

Results:
      $0.62 pot ($0.03 rake)
      Final Board: 7 Q 9 5 K
      SB mucked A A and lost (-$0.30 net)
      Hero showed 9 K and won $0.59 ($0.29 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.02 net)

• sokoi
      sokoi
      Bronze
      Greatings!! Interesting and very similar to my own path. Will be following your progress so best of luck.

Subbed!!
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      Thanks and welcome!
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      So.. didn't post for quite a while, was meant to post weekly graph this weekend, but didn't as I hardly played last week (aprox 2k hands and break even). I'm already strugling to find motivation to play and study, but also went to quite a few parties and was hung over a lot, and since the massacre that usually takes place when I play hungover I was smart enough not to.

Also wifi was really bad and uni's busier right now than I thought it would be and I'm really struggling to focus, so this is taking much longer than necessary. Started running again (used to quite a lot, but quit for the past few years) to clear my mind which really seems to work.

Today I finnaly found the motivation to play again and after my evening run (mind clear and focussed like a budhist monk), decided to sit down at 4 NL2 rush tables (normally play just 2). Played 1200 hands or so and took about 3 BI. EV line about break-even. Probably as a result of not playing for over a week, I leveled myself against players which I shouldn't, so ended up as a (slight) underdog in a few flips
      which I all won :D

Will try to post some hands on handjudging forum on friday. Didn't go trough hands of session after I played, and there's a couple hands that are stuck in my head... Hopefully will find some time to play on sunday.
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      Also: decided to move roll to iPoker (probably NetBet) when I reach a BR of $120. Have a few BI's in neteller, so that combined will allow me to play NL5 (which is the lowest on offer at iPoker speed tables). Current BR: $88.
    • Icecreamboy
      Icecreamboy
      Bronze
      What I hate about poker is that when I play a session at night I'm just bound to lay awake like an insomniac for a couple hours. Even when I have important stuff next morning. It's like my brain is super hyped and needs a few hours to cool down after an intense session. Perhaps I just shouldn't play at night, but it's pretty much the only time of the day I've got time anyway...

How do you cope with this?
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I newer play at night, because I’d like to have the same daily routine and than I can play and work as best.
      How it’s going on the moment with your cash game adventure?

Further I wish you all the best with improving your bankroll :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987