This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Becoming a better me with some help (2nl Beginner- 6 months in)

• magentera
      magentera
      Bronze
      :ayfkm: Getting so frustrated with the way I'm playing right now, i need a place to vent so bare with me for a minute.

In the past 24 hours I've lost 25 buy ins from getting it in good and losing by the river. I'm telling you it wouldn't matter what i was holding whether it be aces or a flush even a full house, all these hands could not hold up more then 50% of the time they villain made it by the river.

For example: I have Broadway straight by the turn and get it all in, no flush on board and the villain calls with a set of Queens. I was excited because there was $6 in the pot my reaction was like :happy: but then then the river changed my face into something like :spit: . the river was a j... pairing the board giving villain full house... at first i was like :pcuser: thinking OK that was a bad beat for sure but it didn't stop there, it went like this for majority of my strong hands.

I would say that the hands i lost the most in i was a 70% favorite but lost more then 50% of the time. The session was about 2k-3k hands and by far my worst run bad I've ever experienced. I am going away for 4 days and will be away from electronics, this will be a great reflection period for me to deal with some tilt problems that may have caused these losses or possibly think of new ways of becoming a better player.

:truestory:

Can anybody share some sympathy for me? also i have a few questions i would like to ask.

:spade: Usually i run at about 24%VPIP/18%PFR/57%AFq, is this too lose for 2nl? I considering my self quite lagy and I've heard it pays of at the low stakes. And i do see results, i win majority of the pots I'm in but lose huge amounts when i get it in with the best?
      :spade: Should i consider tightening up with these big hands? control the pot or keep getting it in with the best of it?
      :spade: How do i tame my urge to see villains hand even though i can say with certainty what he has?
      :spade: I play 4 tables usually, two with NL Holdem and two with PL Omaha, is it a bad idea to mix these two?
      :pcuser:

I would like to add a few goals of mine to the bottom of the post to give you feeling of my determination to learn and continue on this path.
      Life Goals:
      :heart: Stay in school and finish my degree in programming, with the highest achievement level (currently highest performer in the field
      across campus):fuckyeah:
      :heart: Start up small website development business for local companies by end of next year.
      :heart: In 5 years have my own house and earning over 100k a year from all sources of income (current age: 20).
      :heart: Over the course of the rest of my life I do not want to gain large amounts of weight.
      :profit:

Poker Goals:
      :diamond: Post more threads and ask questions about hands and other important factors.
      :diamond: Win more then $1000 by the end of this year.
      :diamond: Get hand tracking soft ware such as hm2 and stop using Jivaro.
      :diamond: Get coaching to fill some leaks and do more hand analysis.
      :diamond: By the end of 2016 be a consistent winner in 100nl
      :profit:

Thanks for reading my post and giving feed back, I will most likely make this my Poker blog so if your interested follow along and see how i progress.
  • 1 reply
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey magentera,

Unfortunately variance can really be a bitch. My problem lately is running QQ and KK into KK and AA. :facepalm: ,
      but learning to accept variance will go along way to keeping tilt in check.

As for your questions, I'm an MTT player but having multi-tabled mixed games myself, i found it's generally not a good idea (well, not for me anyway :f_biggrin: ). Much better to focus on one game type at a time which also will help minimise mistakes.

I'll move this to the blogs for you as I feel it won't catch many viewers here. :f_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:

Laz