Pokerstars Tournament Help

• Ryanshire01
      Hello everyone, new here - used to use that 2+2 forums but they are full of useless arrogant idiots so i thought i'd try here lol.

I'm more of a cash game player - play 5nl zoom at pokerstars, not really been able to build a bankroll or anything as i have to keep withdrawing money. But since i started when i turned 18 3 years ago, i started off with £100, now i have £2,000 to play with. Only recently bought pokertracker, spent the last couple weeks getting used to it etc as i am completely useless with technology etc so it took me some time.

Anyway, i said i'd start taking poker more seriously once March comes along, so i'm going to move up to 10nl zoom and also i was thinking of playing more tournaments as well. Only thing is, i haven't a clue what tournaments are the best to play in, best value for money etc etc. I play the sunday storm and a few of those spin-and-goes every couple weeks, that's about it. With bankroll management i've been told that i should be looking to play tournaments up to $16.50, is that right? (£2k is roughly $3k)

I don't like turbo tournaments very much, regular and slow deepstacked tournaments are best for me. Not bothered about field sizes either - although on pokerstars most tournaments seem to have a lot of players.

Any help? If someone could give me a list of tournaments on pokerstars that you think would be suited to me that would be brilliant, thanks.

Oh yeah i might add that i play during the night - not at day. So tournaments before 11pm (UK time) would be pointless for me lol.
  • 3 replies
    • tonypmm
      Welcome to Pokerstrategy! :f_thumbsup:

Far not all 2+2 subforums have arrogant regposters, you've probably read the wrong ones; in particular, I'd advise against reading News, Views and Gossip or Other Other Topics :f_rolleyes:

BRM [bankroll management] in MTTs vastly depends not only on the buy-in size, but also on the field size and the place of the MTT in the lobby (whether it's special, aka 'red'* due to the default colour of the name on lobby lists). Check out the tournament variance simulator.

* As a recreational player, I don't enter 'black' (non-special) tourneys at all, as they're full of regulars and I'd be beat up pretty hard there. Regs also have lower ROIs there than in red MTTs, which might or might not get compensated by smaller field sizes and hence smaller variance. They play black MTTs because they want to load as many tables as possible; this shouldn't be your concern so far because you'll learn the game at a faster rate if you play few tables and focus better on the decisions.

However, I wouldn't recommend MTTs to you as they require sessions to be long, which can interfere with your sleep and performance at the main job (if you go deep, you can still get unlucky and cash disappointingly small, remember). As field sizes don't bother you, you can play the most advertised tourneys on smaller networks, where fish flocks but fields are small enough to give you a good night sleep most of the time.

I'd prefer €5 Twister or $7 Spin & Gos in your shoes because 1) you can finish the session fast whenever you like or when find yourself tilting, 2) you'll know way faster where you're standing strength-wise: you'll know that you can beat them if you maintain the winrate of ~50+ all-in equity adjusted chips per tourney over a 4-figure number of games; to know your MTT ROI accurately, you'll also need to play thousands of tourneys, but it will take many months.
    • Lazza61
      Hey Ryanshire01,

Welcome to :welcome:

As Tony suggested you should consider some other rooms away from Stars if you are just switching to MTTs as the fields are generally smaller, weaker and therefore lower variance.

You can even grab a free money offer. This will cost you nothing and will give you lifetime Bronze status.

Bronze will give you a tracked room to earn SPs, the ability to send friend requests and PMs through our community tool as well as opening up more strategy and videos.

Where are you from? In fact, why don't you get yourself added to our Member map. You never know, the nearest PokerStrategist may live right next door.

A good resource to check out is Asaban's MTT Beginner Coaching: Discussion and feedback thread.

Have fun :gl:

P.S. Thanx Tony. :s_biggrin: Thorough as always :s_thumbsup:
    • Ryanshire01
      Thanks for the advice everyone, but just to let you know i'm not a beginner in any way - i just choose to play cash more often that tournaments. Now that i've turned 21 and need to do something with my life, i've decided to give it a shot trying to make a living from poker and see what happens.

I sleep during the day, and i'm awake all night so long sessions wouldn't affect my sleeping pattern or anything at all, i'm used to playing cash 5-6 hours every night anyway lol. One of the best things about me poker wise is that i'm incapable of going on tilt - i get over it really quickly and move on to the next hand, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.

I am from England in the UK :)

Thanks for the links, i will have a look at them after i've watched the footy highlights (shh, don't tell me the scores lol)