Tim64 Live Jackpot/Spin/Twister Coachings - Strategy & Live Play

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi all,

In the upcoming weeks we'll be delving into the wonderful world of variable prizepool SnGs once again, this time with a combination of some basic theory as well as the usual live play. Here's the planned schedule:

13/3 Friday 20:00 CET - Playing from the BTN (preflop ranges and some basic rules to follow)
      20/3 Friday 20:00 CET - Playing from the SB (preflop ranges/completing after a BTN limp/limp-stab)
      27/3 Break
      2/4 Thursday 20:00 CET - Playing from the BB (preflop ranges (calling/3betting) and when to raise vs SB limps)
      9/4 Thursday 20:00 CET - HUD (what stats are important and why / typical values of winning players)
      9/6 Tuesday 19:00 GMT/ 21:00 CEST - Moving up through limits on FTP Jackpots!
      23/6 Tuesday 19:00 GMT/ 21:00 CEST - Live Coaching on Spin & Gos - 90 minutes.

Look forward to seeing you on Tomorrow!

Thanks,
      Tim64
  • 80 replies
    • mkain
      mkain
      Bronze
      Waiting for them ! I liked the first coaching series a lot :f_drink:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, mkain,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com English Community!

Perhaps you could take a moment to Introduce yourself

Let us know what other communities you belong to, what poker variants you play and so on.

Best of luck,
      VS
    • edgeatsix
      edgeatsix
      Silver
      hi tim, ty for the good vids.

compared to other coaches' vids, i cant hear u well, please volume up with ur recordings. (adjust physical mic. or windows settings)
      thanks.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      As promised here are the ranges from tonight's coaching. First the BU opening range assuming:-

1. opponents are unknown;
      2. all players have close to starting stack of 25bb; and
      3. we have reasonable postflop skills.

Next, a suggested call-off range vs 3bet shove from the blinds, again provided the previous assumptions apply:

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      So, here are tonight's playing ranges from the SB. (The same assumptions as last week apply). First, a range for...

open raising:

open shoving:

limp-stabbing:

calling a BU minraise:

3b shoving vs BU minraise:

and, completing after BU limp:

Thanks, and see you in two weeks for a session on playing from the BB
    • julioriffel
      julioriffel
      Bronze
      Very Good
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Please be aware of the schedule changes; we've changed back to Thursdays so that more of you can make it to the coachings!

Thanks, julioriffel for the feedback.
      -Tim64
    • Sorvolo
      Sorvolo
      Bronze
      is there not very little play only 60% of hands on sb? I've heard that SB VS BB we should be playing about 80% .. what do you think?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Well, Sorvolo, it's very important to bear in mind the assumptions we make at the beginning of the class: we don't know the BB. So how can we determine how many hands we should be playing against an unknown opponent without knowing what his tendencies are? I would rather give starting players reasonable ranges to play than just say "you need to play about 80% of hands in this position when folded to you", without them knowing how to achieve that % or what to do when they face a 3b or flop third pair etc. :) As you improve and as you get more information, for sure you will want to expand your range ;)
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      Again thanks for the coaching, will def. follow this tread.

What do you think of the recent $ 5,= buyin spin & go? I feel the field is lighter cause it attracts luck seekers/gamblers, but the amount of good multipliers is reduced (because of the jackpot obviously).
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      The $5 is a bit gimmicky for my taste :) But I daresay they are probably some of the softest games on the internet right now ;)

Thanks for coming along and here are the ranges we talked about. First:

BB defend (flat call) vs BU minraise:

BB 3b shove vs BU minraise:

BB defend vs SB minraise

BB 3b vs SB minraise:

[Same as from SB]

BB Raise vs SB limp:

See you all next week for a session on HUD stats and how to get the most from them!

Thanks,
      -Tim64
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      Yes they are. I'm ITM 10% more then usual. Thanks Tim, see you next week
    • aeusse
      aeusse
      Silver
      Hi Tim,

Thanks for your videos, they are very good material for learning to play on this.

I am still a beginner player, i am playing $3 Spin go with 250 Buy-ins.

If i want to take a personal coaching, how many tournaments do you recomend to play before so i can get the best value from this?

I have on hand on here (i don`t know if it is right place to post them, i am from spanish community but thing is almost dead there):

Do you think it is ok to fold here:

PokerStars - $2.82+$0.18|10/20 NL (3 max) - Holdem - 3 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 740 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
      Hero (SB): 540
      BB: 220 (VPIP: 66.67, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)

Hero posts SB 10, BB posts BB 20

Pre Flop: (pot: 30) Hero has 9:diamond: A:spade:

BTN raises to 40, Hero calls 30, BB raises to 220 and is all-in, BTN calls 180, fold

Flop: (480, 2 players) 6:heart: 6:diamond: 2:club:

Turn: (480, 2 players) 9:heart:

River: (480, 2 players) 9:club:

BB shows J:diamond: K:club: (Two Pair, Nines and Sixes)
      (Pre 74%, Flop 86%, Turn 93%)
      BTN shows Q:heart: J:club: (Two Pair, Nines and Sixes)
      (Pre 26%, Flop 14%, Turn 7%)
      BB wins 480

My other question is about red line, in a game where every chip is too important is necesary to have a positive red line or do you think that can be profitable despite haven a negative red line? what do you suggest to improve this part of game?

Thanks very much for your help
    • Iwant180k
      Iwant180k
      Basic
      Hi Tim... I have simple question to ask you; are these like an aprils fools ranges or something? :)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Originally posted by Iwant180k
      Hi Tim... I have simple question to ask you; are these like an aprils fools ranges or something? :)
      No, Iwant180k, they're simple starting ranges for players new to this format. Are they the ranges I use myself in my own games? No, they're simple starting ranges for players new to this format. Hope that helps ;)
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks, aeusse, for your post :)

I think you will get good value from coaching once you have 500-1k games. At that point you will have enough games were a coach can look at your stats and tendencies and make sensible recommendations.

Interesting hand with A9o in SB. In general I would say you can just 3b shove this hand. If you flat I'd probably push over the top when BB shoves and BU just calls.

Two things to bear in mind:
      1. How did the first 2 hands play out? It might help you to decide about the BU's tendencies/ability.
      2. The BB is short already, so the chance of him squeeze shoving if we flat pre is greater than normal.

In regards to your question about redline, do you mean redline for tournament winnings or chip EV? I think the former is not that important, where as the latter definitely is.
    • Iwant180k
      Iwant180k
      Basic
      Thank you for your reply Tim.

To be honest though I think those ranges are pretty bad even for starting players, for example flatting a BTN minraise its way, waaaay too nitty, and other stuff too :) Id recommend you to go do some crev math on those so you see what kind of hands are actually +EV to flat at those spots against btn mr ranges.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Originally posted by Iwant180k
      Thank you for your reply Tim.

To be honest though I think those ranges are pretty bad even for starting players, for example flatting a BTN minraise its way, waaaay too nitty, and other stuff too :) Id recommend you to go do some crev math on those so you see what kind of hands are actually +EV to flat at those spots against btn mr ranges.
      Yeah, the problem is that we can't just say, 'this hand has sufficient equity vs BU range that we need to call'. Because it all depends on Hero's ability to play the hand in such a way as to realise that equity. I'm happy to accept that these ranges are on the tight side. But a lot of the profit to be made in Spins is vs loose players calling too many hands oop, 3 handed. So, we want to make sure we're not making the same mistake. Remember that a lot of players jumping into Jackpots right now have little poker experience, especially HU, so they're not going to be able to navigate postflop with the same confidence that a more experienced player has. If you watch the videos, you'll see I'm careful to say that the ranges are a starting point, to be expanded on with growing experience. But for players coming with a blank slate and wanting some guidance, I think erring on the side of caution is no bad thing.

Thanks for the feedback, though - it's appreciated.
      -Tim
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hey guys, yesterday I reached 5k Spin and Gos.

I thought it would be useful to post my graph to help demonstrate that the strategies I teach in my coaching series are ones that can make you long term profits at this so-called 'gambling' game, so long as you understand them and adjust them to your individual opponents. Best of luck and thanks for watching!