Hi there :)

• MajesticOdds
      MajesticOdds
      Bronze
      Hello there, I've started playing at full tilt about a month ago with 10$ and I turned it to 50$ playing NLHE, cashed it and made another 10$ deposit and lost it then. Thats when I decided maybe I should get some training so I've been inching my way through the tutorials on this site, Its really nicely done btw.

I don't know if its just me but whenever I play thight preflop, it seems like everyone gets in with all kinds of hands, mostly squadoosh like 72o or 36o etc. and these guys seem to always win. Does it really pay off to stay thight in these situations or would you adapt and play more hands?
  • 6 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey MajesticOdds,

Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

Sadly that is the minefield we call the micros. Fish and recreational players seem to like the adrenaline rush of coming from behind and spiking a miracle card on the river. When playing a tight strategy, it is always best to ensure you can get heads up. This is where playing tight has it's real strength because most times you will be ahead of your opponents range.

I will often fold hands I would normally play just because there is too much action already or I don't expect to be able to get Heads Up. (I am a MTT player). If you play family pots with big hands your equity drops away alarmingly. AA is over 80% against one opponent. It drops to 50% with 3 opponents so either raise and get some fish to drop their hands or fold and wait for a better spot.

But generally speaking "Tight is right". What type of games are you playing?

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • MajesticOdds
      MajesticOdds
      Bronze
      Thanks Laz,

I mostly play ring cash games NLHE, but these days I play lots of freeroll MTT and omaha 6handed on FT.

I won a 5$ ring game ticket and lost it all when I shoved my A high flush against a straight flush :rage:

When you said you often fold hands you would normally play just because there is too much action, whats your ranges, is it thighter than the Starting Hand Chart from pokerstrategy.com?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey MajesticOdds,

I can highly recommend checking out the hugely popular w34z3l's 6max walkthrough - (microstakes edition). This is amust for anyone trying to break out of the micros.

My statements were more from an MTT player's point of view. On cash tables it it virtually imperative that you get max value for your +Ev hands. In MTT's (particularly freezeouts) it can be right to fold +Ev hands due to the survival element of MTTs. In cash games, you will often risk a 100BB stack. I am never risking a 100BB stack in an MTT.

In other words, I'm a nit. :f_biggrin:

Cheers

Laz
    • MajesticOdds
      MajesticOdds
      Bronze
      I prefer 9-10 player table over 6 but I'll check it out for sure, thanks Laz
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hi MajesticOdds,

Welcome to the forum!

The guide Laz mentioned is indeed mostly tailored to 6max cash games, but the concepts can certainly be applied to full ring games as well. So it's definitely worth taking a look, but keep in mind that some of the ranges mentioned won't be applicable!

If you have any questions, just ask :)

Regards,
      Tino
    • StandardBacking
      StandardBacking
      Bronze
      Good Luck at the Tables :f_drink: