Zero to Hero Challenge

• negwin
      negwin
      Bronze
      Hello all and thank you for reading my post.

Current Bankroll : $60.40

This a bankroll Challenge where i will turn zero dollars to $1000. I start an account with 888 and received an instant 2 dollars and some free SNG tickets. I took full advantage of this and came 2nd on a 60 people turbo SNG for $12.42, 3rd on a 60 people turbo SNG for $6.75 and 5th on a 40 people hyper turbo for $2.88 . The crazy part was I got drunk that night from celebrating Chinese New Year and can't barely remembered playing poker let alone making it in the money. It was fun though but i don't think i want to play drunk again. With that bit of bankroll, i started grinding at the 2NL. Ill mix in some Micro SNG and MTT every now and then but my main focus is cash games. I plan to never deposit any money on this site.

A bit of info about me. I'm 27 and working the 9 to 5 life and boring stuff like that. I wish i can play poker full time but at the moment i don't think i have the skills or the bankroll to do it. I have always loved playing poker but never got serious to learn and be a better player. I think this blog will keep me motivated to acquire the skills and bankroll to one day play poker full time.
  • 8 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey negwin,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :welcome:

Haha. Don't knock playing drunk. I've had some of my best MTT results while a little... ahem... inebriated. :f_rolleyes:

You should consider joining our Get Rich or Die Tryin' promotion. Your BR challenge would fit nicely in there.

Also you could win a status upgrade just for participating (1 awarded every month to active participants), as well as making it into the weekly news. :coolface:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey negwin,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • negwin
      negwin
      Bronze
      Thanks Laz!

Hands : 880
      Results : $12.09
      Current Bankroll : $72.48

Just a quick update. I haven't been playing much since my first post. In fact i have played only 880 hands. The hardest part is finding the balance to studying poker, playing, working my day job and all other commitments. Usually, i'll would put in more hours and play more hands on the weekend but the weekend that just pasted was very hectic for me. I did squeezed in a couple of hours and ran pretty well.

• negwin
      negwin
      Bronze
      Hands: 5341
      Results : $12.9
      Bankroll : $85.38

I started the week extremely well so i decided to take shoots at 4NL. I was really nervous and played very nitty. I think the fear of losing all the profit i made at the start of the week was really affecting me half way through it. it didnt also help that i played a very long session too. I end up break-even after 684 hands so i guess its not too bad. One thing i learnt a lot this week is handling tilt and BR management. Luckily i didnt bust my bank roll as it could easily lead to it. Tilting and playing at stake that i dont have the bank roll for is a bad combo. I was down 2bb after a bad beat and and a slow play. The bad beat didnt tilt me as much as the slow play because there was nothing i could do as I flopped a set and villian got runner runner straight. The slow play where i got out played and felt really bad. Villan flopped a full house and i hit my straight at the river. By the end of that session i was back even and was too tired to play on. I dont think i will go back to 4NL untill i have $200 bankroll.

I started another session the following day and things was going well till i started running bad. I was not hitting any cards and was make stupid mistakes. I felt like i was on the verge of going tilt so I just stopped and turn off my computer. I didnt start another session for more than a day due to social activities and playing futsal. By the time i started another session i was fresh and ready to go. I end that session up with $4.82 profits.
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      Hi negwin,

Please don't forget to update the progress here:
      Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread
      we also be happy if you share more details from your challenge here on the blog :)
      Wish you a great day and good run at the tables ;)
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Indeed. How it’s going the last 4 weeks on NL4 stakes?

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • negwin
      negwin
      Bronze
      Sorry all for the lack of updates.

This week I'm taking a week off from poker and focus mainly on my leaks and fundamental again. I had a lot of high by coming third in a $1.50 tourney of 800 players. Busting third is not a good feeling! but when it finally sink in i felt really happy about my first ever deep run in a MTT. I also ran really well in 4NL and finally felt comfortable playing in there. I think coming third in the tourney and running really well at 4NL really hurts my development for the past two weeks. I was getting too confident and cocky and just thought i was better player than I am. I became more easily tilted and do not stick to my stop loss rule. I ran into some really bad coolers but otherwise i was just out played. Although i felt comfortable playing at 4NL because of my bankroll but im in way ready to beat it. Right now im on the worst downswing and i need to take a step back and review my game. The first thing i need to change is to have a better balance of studying to playing. I think for the past 3 weeks its 80 percent playing and 10 percent studying and 10 percent hand reviewing.

Right now im reading The Poker Hero - How to Survive, Fight, and Succeed in the modern Poker World by Florian Roßner. I actually came across this book via Pokerstrategy.com books section. As much as i think i should study more and spend more time working on my game instead of playing, i actually don't know really know how to approach it. I mean, i can read a bunch of poker books, read some posts and watch some videos but its hard to measure how much i really learnt and if i actually apply it in when i play. I'm half way through this book and i can see already that the book will help me. My approach to learning poker will be more structured and smarter much like a university course.

If anyone have read this book, please let me know what you think.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Nice performers in the $1,50 tournament. It’s off course always ugly that you so close to win the whole tournament that you finished 3rd, but you have still enough changes to win a tournament as well if you have time for it.

I could miss it while I was reading, but are playing full ring and/or short handed cash games on NL4?

Cheers,
      SDK1987