Finally... Survey about poker run by a poker player

• Evandar
      Evandar
      Bronze
      Often, when psychology researchers are avid poker players and do research on poker, they are interested in decision-making in specific game situations. It is very uncommon to see more general research on playing frequency and online/offline presence asked by a person with an understanding of poker. I am looking to fill this gap. Luckily, such general questions fit into a 10-minute survey that doesn't require much thinking. I am a final-year psychology student, and I have been playing 5 years.

Here is a link to the survey and more information: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vLIKbPpQdC_hCGdL_TPjpL-u5-YhjLSkc6KLR0jhUgU/viewform?usp=send_form

Thank you for your time in considering this research. If you have any comments or questions, don't hesitate to write under this topic or send me a private message.
  • 5 replies
    • bolot30
      bolot30
      Bronze
      Isn't it problematic to some of the switchplayers that they are showing their strategy/ranges/lines etc they take in certain spots? Aren't they giving lots of info away to their opponents or is it acceptable to them? Thanks for answering again
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Evandar
      Often, when psychology researchers are avid poker players and do research on poker, they are interested in decision-making in specific game situations. It is very uncommon to see more general research on playing frequency and online/offline presence asked by a person with an understanding of poker. I am looking to fill this gap. Luckily, such general questions fit into a 10-minute survey that doesn't require much thinking. I am a final-year psychology student, and I have been playing 5 years.

Here is a link to the survey and more information: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vLIKbPpQdC_hCGdL_TPjpL-u5-YhjLSkc6KLR0jhUgU/viewform?usp=send_form

Thank you for your time in considering this research. If you have any comments or questions, don't hesitate to write under this topic or send me a private message.
      Hey nice to see you on the forums, where are you from? Nice to see a fellow psychologist. Will fill in your form in after dinner :)

Good luck with your thesis :f_thumbsup: and would love to hear more from you when the results are in, collegial interest you know ;)

Oh before I go, 1 question for you: Do you feel that people who studied psychology have an edge towards other players?
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      Just saying, you are talking about Poker and gambling in one breath in your questionaire. I'm not so sensitive myself, but some players don't consider themselves gamblers while playing the game. There's still a lively discussion whether poker is about skill, luck or a combination of both.
    • surreal
      surreal
      Basic
      Originally posted by LeNNy010
      Just saying, you are talking about Poker and gambling in one breath in your questionaire. I'm not so sensitive myself, but some players don't consider themselves gamblers while playing the game. There's still a lively discussion whether poker is about skill, luck or a combination of both.
      I'm clearly on the side that believes poker is more skill than luck/gambling!
    • surreal
      surreal
      Basic
      Hi Evandar!

I just filled out your google questionnaire. While I don't think poker is really "gambling" if it's played right, I know people who are definitely addicted to the game and play with money they can't afford to lose. It'll be interesting to read your results.

If you could take the short questionnaire I have on my Prefundia page, I would really appreciate it! I'm trying to gauge the interest in a poker app idea I have. It attempts to compare player strategies and removes the luck from the game. I'm hoping to grow some interest in the app before I launch a Kickstarter campaign.

If you have the time, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!! Here is the link to the [Edited by Lazza61].

-Saril