Long Time Player, Recent Coder

• surreal
      surreal
      Basic
      Hi!

I just launched a pre-Kickstarter campaign for a poker app I'm hoping to develop. The hope is that it will take the luck out of poker and help people prove their strategy/skills are better than others. I searched for a forum to find good poker players to get their opinion on the idea, and that led me here!

If you're curious, please take a look at the teaser video and info [Edited by Lazza61]

I hope to gain some valuable team members and friends from this forum, and I hope you all don't mind the request for help/feedback!

-Saril
  • 7 replies
    • LeNNy010
      LeNNy010
      Bronze
      I'm not very keen on clicking on random links by unknown players. No offense meant here but I think a lot of players are afraid of scams, which nowadays isn't so bad since it keeps you safe. Maybe tell a bit more about yourself and why you posted this.
    • surreal
      surreal
      Basic
      Hi Lenny,

Thanks for the reply, and I completely understand. I wouldn't click on a random link on a forum either ;)

Not sure how to convince you it isn't a scam without sounding like a scam, but I'll try. I'm definitely no professional, but I'm slightly more seasoned than the average home player. I've had decent luck in Vegas and Reno...hopefully I have some more luck this weekend at a friends bachelor party in Tahoe. Anyways, I'm new to the pokerstrategy site, but not new to the game.

From the beginning of my home game (that went strong for 5-6 years until a core member passed away), I kept an Excel sheet that logged our results. I am a big believer that poker isn't just luck, but I believe skills, patience, cunning, etc play a bigger role. And logging everything over years was a good way to smooth out all the lucky breaks and figure out the superior and consistent players.

In the same vane, I have an idea for an app that poker players can use to compare their style of play and strategy to other players without the pesky cards/luck getting in the way. There's a teaser video and a summary on the [Edited by Lazza61] (that's the original link from the previous post).

So, before spending all the time and effort to code the app, I'm reaching out to the poker community to get some opinions and thoughts about the idea. Does it makes sense? Would you use it? Would you consider joining the team and giving me feedback along the way? Etc, etc.

That's what led me here to this post. I'm in the very early stages, but hopefully I get enough positive feedback and support to complete the app. Any help or advice is appreciated!!

Thanks again,
      Saril
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I don't see how you will go about making the software in terms of comparing the plays.

Say I play a hand one way and my friend plays it a second way. How are you going to get the software to tell who has played the hand better? What are you comparing? EV vs range? How are you going to calculate the EV of a complex decision tree?

There is also already software that you can input hands into and it gives feedback on how it thinks you should have played the hand (PokerSnowie).
    • surreal
      surreal
      Basic
      Originally posted by metza
      I don't see how you will go about making the software in terms of comparing the plays.

Say I play a hand one way and my friend plays it a second way. How are you going to get the software to tell who has played the hand better? What are you comparing? EV vs range? How are you going to calculate the EV of a complex decision tree?

There is also already software that you can input hands into and it gives feedback on how it thinks you should have played the hand (PokerSnowie).
      At least right now, the idea isn't for the software to tell you how you "should have" played the hand, but it records how you did. It will record stats to show how many times you raise, go all-in, fold, check-raise, etc. So, you would get feedback on how your style of play stacks up to other players.

And because the app records how the hands are played by all the players, you can compare your game with other people. So, you can replay the games side-by-side and compare purely based on how they played the hand and the ultimate outcome.

Thanks for the link to PokerSnowie. It looks like a pretty impressive AI for Texas Hold 'Em. I've worked on mine for a couple years and it performs pretty well. I'm still tweaking it, but it will hopefully be challenging enough to provide a good test for most players on my app.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey surreal,

Under our forum principles your request is not allowed without applying for permission.

You can apply for permission by opening a ticket with our customer support team.

Just scroll to the bottom of the page (after clicking the link above) and click the + sign next to "Open a new ticket'.

Regards

Laz
    • Post removed

• StandardBacking
      StandardBacking
      Bronze
      Good Luck at the Tables :f_drink: