Quiz of the Week: SnG - Push or Fold?

• vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze
      It's Tuesday, so it's time for... well you know what time it is. This week we have an SnG quiz for all you silver ranked members and the exercises you will have to solve revolve around one of the most important questions you can encounter: push or fold?

If you think you know how to play in the late phase of a SNG then test your knowledge in our quiz:

SnG - Push or Fold Against Regulars?

As always, we would appreciate your feedback on this quiz, so tell us your opinion on it:

- how many points did you get?
      - how was the it overall?
      - what would you have done differently?

Discuss!
  • 11 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      You managed to score a total of 14 out of 21 possible points. This corresponds to 67 %!

my mistakes:
      fold the QK hand question 2 (1 point), perhaps this works on 22$, on my limit this is a pretty marginal spot to get the chips in :)

Q4: push (1 point), same reasoning as in the post

Q6 I didnt understand...

Problem 6.

Poker Stars 38$ Turbo No-Limit Hold‘em Tournament
      Blinds: t200/t400 (Ante: t25) 4 players

Stacks:
      Hero: t3695
      Button: t2320
      SB: t1735
      BB: t5750

Why go into a confrontation with the bigstack when there is a supersmallstack?
      BB's callrange 44+, A8o+, A4s+, KJs+ might be loose on 22$, I was thinking more in the line of J10s or crap like that :)
    • rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      Wow, didn't expect that:

You managed to score a total of 21 out of 21 possible points. This corresponds to 100 %!

Comments: In a real game situation I would quite quickly fold the KQo in the 2nd hand, and as I see it's said that it wouldn't be a mistake (then again, I'm more on the tight side anyway) Also, I was at first a little unsure whether to push K5s in question 5, it came as a surprise that I should push more than 50% of hands in that spot (rather than my default choice of ~30%). Other questions seemed pretty straightforward.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      14/21 :\

I just did a session in SnG Wizard and was under the influence, specially with the K3s hand. I really don't see myself sticking it in from that position but then again my ROI is only 5% so ...
      Supposedly pocket pairs are a push in that situation and I'd prolly think about it a bit but ultimately I'd shove it. If I wouldn't do that at 11$ SnG there'd be damn few hands left to play there. Fact of the matter is that there is deffo room for improvement, all comes down to working for it.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      got one wrong , but the one I got wrong I am not sure you are right , which is the KQ one

being a turbo maybe its right but non-turbo would be sure wrong
    • shakin65
      shakin65
      Bronze
      On the weekend I hopefully have the time to look in this thread and answer your questions.
    • shakin65
      shakin65
      Bronze
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Q6 I didnt understand...

Problem 6.

Blinds: t200/t400 (Ante: t25) 4 players

Stacks:
      Hero: t3695
      Button: t2320
      SB: t1735
      BB: t5750

Why go into a confrontation with the bigstack when there is a supersmallstack?
      BB's callrange 44+, A8o+, A4s+, KJs+ might be loose on 22$, I was thinking more in the line of J10s or crap like that :)
      There is no super small stack. In case of a double up the small stack has an equal stack as mine + in the next hand I'm paying the BB and loose futher equity. So why should I let go a +EV push?
    • maxwi
      maxwi
      Black
      Question 5:

Blinds: t100/t200 (Ante: t25) 4 players

Stacks:
      UTG: t5775
      Hero: t3720
      SB: t2045
      BB: t1960

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with K5s
      UTG folds, Hero ?

Raise to 600 is best here - fold to reraise.
      Push is too marginal. We risk too much (10BB).
      If we get a retarded loose call we have position!

With a raise we put SB and BB to the test whether they want to play for their hole stack or not.

A raise saves us chips here in my opinion whilst it only marginally diminishes our fold equity against thinking players.

A raise also might look stronger than a push depending on our image.

I do not like risking 10BB to win 1.5BB with a bad hand - the K is great but the 5 is very weak.

Anyone agree or am I utterly lost on the wrong path?
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      18 of 21... Found it all kinda straight forward cept that A9o hand that most of you think is prolly easy... I had a long thought untill I pushed the wrong button damn :P

So one error in my push or fold this week :P
    • shakin65
      shakin65
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maxwi
      Raise to 600 is best here - fold to reraise.
      Push is too marginal. We risk too much (10BB).
      If we get a retarded loose call we have position!

With a raise we put SB and BB to the test whether they want to play for their hole stack or not.

A raise saves us chips here in my opinion whilst it only marginally diminishes our fold equity against thinking players.

A raise also might look stronger than a push depending on our image.

I do not like risking 10BB to win 1.5BB with a bad hand - the K is great but the 5 is very weak.

Anyone agree or am I utterly lost on the wrong path?
      I would never raise and fold to a bet when the blinds' stacks are 10 BBs. And playing postflop vs a small stack sucks. If you cbet and he pushes you have to call, only because of the odds. I woudn't expect a very loose call ofhero' push. It's bubble time and no one should risk itm with a marginal hand.
    • Freaky304
      Freaky304
      Bronze
      19 out of 21...... this is much harder then the ICM :) Nice quiz.

Problem 7 wrong I said push but I only missed the fact that it was a 1 table sng I read tournament and immediatly thought you where in the money already and then I would push it :) .

This hand does have me thinking though, I've post a thread in the MTT section HERE and i would say if this was the final table of a MTT i would certainly push.

But even on SnG's i'm not entirely sure.

argh problem 7 gives me a headache X( :evil:

Forget what i said in the first sentence... I don't like you and your quiz any more ;) just kidding offcourse :D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      much easier then ICM :)

ICM trainer doesn't like me because I push way to often :evil: