HU blog [NL100-400], poker & fitness/bodybuilding

• Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      What’s up buddies!, my name is Andrés, I’m 27 and I’m from Argentina.

I started to play poker about 6 years ago, with the $50 pokerstrategy was giving away to new users, and I keep playing since then. This blog is going to be my journal to track my progress inside the world of HU.

About me & poker:

The first modality I played with the $50 was fixed limit, I had little time to dedicate to poker on those days since I was starting the career of System engineering (chosen by discard, because I didn’t like no other career) and I worked as operator at a lathe workshop. I didn’t have computer yet, so I used to played and read articles from cyber cafes and from my dad’s house.

After a few months, I already had the money to buy my first PC, so I withdrawal part of my bank and I did it. I started to use the money I earned with poker to give me that tastes I couldn’t before. The bankroll was growing, but very slowly given the cashouts. After a while I started to play NL, I became NL50 regular and I left my job because I already was winning enough to subsist. I used to see poker like something temporal that helped me to win some money while I studied.

In 2012 I had the chance of comply a dream: travel to Europe with 3 of my best friends, and that was the first time I got on a plane. We were close to a month enjoying the best Ibiza parties, knowing Amsterdam and London, venturing ourselves at the Creamfields UK. This meant a big reduction of my bankroll, but I felt was something I had to do (you only live once). Curiously, a year before I wrote “meet Ibiza” as a dream, it wouldn’t happen if it wasn’t thanks to poker.

Last year I left University, I got a big weight off. I studied something I didn’t like for some many time, but I had very inside me the idea “if I don’t follow a career, I will be a nobody”, I was trying to convince myself constantly with phrases like “this is what I have to do”, “may be I don’t like it too much now, but it will make me rich”, “this is my thing”, all were lies that I usually did to myself. Then I had more time to poker, and was at the middle of 2014 when I first saw one Gordon’s video on pokerstrategy. I automatically like his approach, clarity and how he simplified certain concepts to make them easiest to understand, it was even entertaining to watch. I already played HU since a few time so I decided to buy the “HU mastermind” course, the course change radically my vision of the game (I became aware of how little I knew).

I earned enough to live from poker and I was comfortable, till the end of 2014 when I moved up to NL400 and something happened: a big downsing plus a lot of mindset leaks plus various cashouts made me lost half of my bank (lot of these losses were against good regs, I played on tilt, without doing me A game sometimes, other times the ego didn’t let me see objectively and I didn't get out the table when was what I had to do).

I must say that this was the best “downswing” I ever had, it made me realize of how many things I need to improve. I start to understand that if you give yourself the right information, you acquieres the right tools and you give the best of yourself, you can achieve anything you set your mind. Before I used to think in a limited way “I never could win 10k/month, but Im okey with 4k”, “I never could play NL1k, but NL200 will be ok for me”. No more a limited mind, no more a conformist mind, know I know: you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it!!. I want to achieve success, financial freedom, to travel the world, to form relantionships, I want to fill me up with new experiences. The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.

----------------------------------------------

About me & fitness:

I was training boxing at the time I started to play poker, but I wasn’t in good shape. So parallely at the time I started to play, I started too to read about nutrition and training, and to complement the boxing training with gym training. It became a pasion since then. Lately I started to venture into meditation, so far it have helped me with my performance in training and poker.

This is how my body changed since then:

My fitness goals this year:

- Keep a <13% bodyfat at the same time I follow a training to increase strength and muscle mass (with a ~3800 calories/day diet)

- Include calisthenics routines to my training (being able to perform free handstand pushups x1, human flag x5segs, muscle up x2, pistol squat x1)

This video shows a little bit what calisthenics is:

Poker goals this year:

- Win 10k in one month
      - Getting to NL600 and being winner at this limit

What I will do to achieve my goals:

I will play the next 30 days counting since tomorrow, giving the best I have. I never felt so committed with something, so I want to know if Im already able to win 10k in one month. Based on the results, after these 30 days, we’ll see if the best it’s to get coaching with Gordon Gekko or to apply into the program, and keep going.

Let's see what happens.
  • 53 replies
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      I should stop wasting my time. May be Im able to do the 10k this month, or the next one but I won’t be able to do it in a monthly basis. And I want to be able to win even more than that, but I also know I have a lot of thinks to improve. I couldn’t sleep well yesterday, this idea of “I must prove to myself” was rounding in my head. The best way to prove myself it’s to get into the program and give the best I have, and not trying to figure it out by my own like I thought, fuck that. I’m in.

Training:

Yesterday was leg day, I used to have left knee pain due to poor form and cause my left foot is flatter that the right, but now it’s almost fixed. I want to be able to squat deep with perfect form, without any pain at all. So I started to squatting with very low weight or even without weight, to focus more on the form. Yesterday I loaded the bar with maximum 88 lbs, with great form and without knee pain at all. It feels better than when I used to squat heavy, now I “feel” the movement, the muscles contraction, I’m more focused on the bodyparts involved in the exercises, feels great!.

One thing that helped me a lot to reduce the pain and improve the form was strenghten my foot arches. Weak arches fuck up your leg workouts (and I have flat feet) so I have started to strenghten them few months ago with specific exercises I do every 2 days. This was the most helpful so far (pen-penny against the wall at 10:20) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AwRK3js5dg

Also “Athlean X”‘s videos on youtube (one of the best fitness channels), helped me to do some major fixes on my squat form.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Nice achievement already with your fitness and HU cash games :f_thumbsup:
      I wish you all the best with your challenge to win 10k in a month :gl:
      I’m happy if I win that on yearly based now.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Thanks SDK1987!! =)

I have been studying a lot and playing very little lately. I have to learn to simplify things and to not being so overwhelmed and undecided when I have a lot of things to do, something as known as "Analysis paralysis". I have been improving lately on this, and I know my main problem is that I wanted to do all at the same time (what ends up suing more time than doing one thing at the time, it's more inefficient and exhausting). Once I read that we don't really do various things at the time, but we alternate our attention between one and the other, which in the long haul isn't good for our cognitive system.
    • lixinfinito
      lixinfinito
      Bronze
      I'm following :)
      How you're going so far?
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Hi lixinfinito!, Im playing NL50-100 at the moment, I'm improving my game at the same time I'm losing the minimum from mistakes.

The graph of the last hands, quiet for now!
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Last week's results, things still quiet. I started to do less and focus more (after reading about 2 important productivity laws: The Pareto principle and Parkinson's law) and I'll start to play the sessions with a more "empty" head and not so dull of information. Let's see how this week goes

• Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      I started playing again NL200, I didn't have a good run these days, but I'm happy with my game so far which has quite improved. Patiente, "to lose patience is to lose the battle".

This week’s graphs:
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Since a few days I'm running kinda bad, yesterday's session ended almost 500 eur under EV and for moments I found myself with lack of motivation. Then I realized that one of my biggest "WHY" is to be financially free, and I CAN'T ALLOW MYSELF TO LOSE THE FOCUS!!!. The only thing I can do is to give my best and be patient: patience always win. Beyond material things you can buy with poker earnings, nothing compares to the freedom this game can give you, that's the biggest goal. Travel around the world and play poker from any place I want.

Im improving a lot each day, both in mentality as in my game. To keep working!!
    • Clownrush
      Clownrush
      Bronze
      I am in! I will be following! Goodluck and I wish you all the best with youre challenge!
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      @Clownrush: thanks for the encouragement words buddie!, I appreciate it!

Things start going better!, I'm playing the sessions earlier, when my head is less tired. And before every session I go for a walk to the park as a way of meditation: I contemplate the river that border my city, feel the sun in my face, listen to the leaves of trees moving for the wind. I'm dabbling into meditation since a while (it started to get my attention when I read that its benefits were proven scientifically), but it was recently that I started to complement it with poker. This has helped me so far to clean my head and play more concentrated.

Graph since 14 may:
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Well done. Keep up the good work!
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      @ilidek: And I will bud!!, you can be sure ;) :sfishg:

Things still going pretty well, these days were very good in winning terms (I will upload the graphs on the weekend) and I can feel how my game improves session after session. The only problem I had was a tilt issue at the beginning of the week against a maniac who ran into god mode, and against whom I had to left the table after I almost hit my stop loss of 3 BI, in addition to stop playing my A game.

Anyways, is hard to leave the table against someone who does this kind of stuff:

$1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 2 Players

BB: $213.10 (106.6 bb)
      Hero (SB): $453.24 (226.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q Q
      Hero raises to $6, BB calls $4

Flop: ($12) 4 Q 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $9, BB raises to $24, Hero raises to $62, BB calls $38

Turn: ($136) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $168, BB calls $145.10 and is all-in

River: ($426.20) K (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $426.20 pot ($0.50 rake)
      Final Board: 4 Q 3 9 K
      BB showed K 4 and lost (-$213.10 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $425.70 ($212.60 net)

I started the session against him winning 2.5 BI in less than 100 hands, but later he began to hit absolutely all, and on the hands I hit something the board ran like shit and I had to fold. The swings against this kind of villain are brutal. In fact more bank and a better mindset are needed to play against them.
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Graphs of the week:

I feel great!!, each passing day I want to play more and more poker, I'm falling in love again for the game. Im working really hard with the help of my coach and I can see that reflected in the results.

I began to lose that passion for this game when the only thing I did was lose and lose, month after month. On that time I didn't used to work as hard as now. I used to wake up, sat down at the tables, lose, get angry, get frustrated, scream FML. My biggest bankroll was 30k on september 2014, but by February '15 I already had less than a half that quantity.

Im again "on track", and I can feel it, let's see how this goes!. Good luck to all!

Training:

Finally, I did my first muscle up!! :D . This tutorial (whit english subs) that a colleague of my city made was of great help. I recomend it to anyone who wanna try!
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      May graphs:

-------------------------------

After an intense workout session, today's dinner: salad of tuna, tomato, spinach, red pepper, onion, sunflower and chia seeds, linseed, sesame, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar. FUCK YEAH

Daily motivation:
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      "I won't end today's the session without having the numbers in green" :challenge:

-----------

Music ON
      World OFF

• Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Last week's graphs, BE week. I'm not happy with the volume at all, I must to play more hands this week:
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver
      Things so far, I like how I have improved the volume:

In some of the last sessions I have tilted, and I have lost the focus from time to time. I will emphasize in cleaning better my head in the meditation previous the poker session.

--------------------------------

Last calisthenics workout:
    • Confeti
      Confeti
      Silver