Frustration on Titan 2NL - and my general intro to the forums

• RexCalculex
      RexCalculex
      Bronze
      Hey Guys, I am an Aussie guy currently Living in Vienna
      I have had a couple of short quick attempts at playing properly online and ive played socially for quite a while but the last couple of weeks is probably my first really serious attempt and breaking into online poker, and its driving me crazy to be honest.

I play on Titan 2NL full ring at the moment. Im looking forward to getting onto other variations and higher stakes but it seems like this should theoretically be the easiest place so I want to prove to myself I can manage this before moving on.

Maybe i'm simply too ambitious or unrealistic but I have to say im quite surprised how difficult it is to make a profit at this limit. I have a theory that perhaps the limit is so low that a lot of the fish/gamblers who come for a quick spin play at higher micros where they might be able to actually win a more meaningful amount in a session. But maybe thats just wishful thinking. Off course the occasional massive fish enters the ring, spews a couple of stacks and leaves again, but for the most part they seem to be either pretty nitty or also trying to be TAG players.

I know its a slow learning process and im just starting out but I have read all the basic theory a few times, passed the tests, watched vidoes and I feel like I play a pretty decent Tight Aggressive game for a beginner. But after maybe 5 or 6 thousand hands in the last week or two I have pretty much broken even. I know its not a large sample but its still very frustrating. Almost every time I manage to get a stack or two up i seem to lose it before the end of the session.

I guess my path is clear, be more disciplined, keep learning, post hands and look for leaks. A few times I have been sucked into big hands with things like AKs or JJ/QQ and ended up isolated against AA/KK, or played AA/KK hard and end up being pot committed before its clear they have me beat. Looking over my last session I saw I got out rivered in about 6 or 7 hands for big pots. Not sure if that's normal for a 1000 hand session but its hard to not get frustrated when it happens over and over.

Anyway, not quite sure what my point is here but I would love some feedback or to hear if anyone else has experienced similar frustrations. I love how well set up this website/community is and I hope to make the most of it.

Cheers :f_drink:
  • 10 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey RexCalculex,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :welcome:

Nice to see another Aussie here although you are a long way from home. :f_p: The problem with playing FR is also that it is where the nittiest regs hang out on iPoker sites. Over the last couple of years there has been a big shift of players from FR to 6-Max.

Certainly being rivered constantly in a small session is normal but if it happens every session, then you should be concerned. Some say the micros are the hardest levels to beat because of some of the random plays. You will also here people say things like "I want to move up to where they respect my raises". This is caused by frustration when fish call raises with random crap and suck out against your big pocket pair. :why:

Have fun :gl:

Laz

P.S. You didn't get lost did you. Austria and Australia sort of sound alike. xD
    • Post removed

• RexCalculex
      RexCalculex
      Bronze
      Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I will probably make the shift back to Short handed at some point although I was hoping to beat FR first, since there should theoretically be less variance. Its hard to accept but if I cant beat the fish in the long run i guess i still am one myself. Although im sure the micros arn't as easy as people used to say they were.

It was a bit of an accident that i ended up in Vienna at the start but its been a couple of years now and ive been having fun in Europe.
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Hi Rex
      We Aussies have a reputation as poor poker players :-(
      I'm sure with support, game analysis and effort you will succeed :-)

Regards GoOnCal1
    • junona1992
      junona1992
      Bronze
      Come to the Pokerstars = lower rake, looser players and no rakegrinding boots :s_thumbsup: Or just change site for anything else then ipoker( i know i know.... PokerStrategy = ipoker)... I would play on ipoker only if rakeback method was like it was before and with 80% RB (which wasn't too hard to get) :yaoming:
    • TheMarxBros3
      TheMarxBros3
      Bronze
      Hi Rexcalculex.
      If every new player could beat the micros then who are the losers?
      You have to pay your dues.
      Crawl-walk-run is a sensible order in life.
      Grind-study-and never get discouraged.
      Good luck my friend.
    • josepunk
      josepunk
      i know what are you talking about i played there after black friday, fishes are fishes in any room, but regs from ipoker are too nits pre and postflop, so the way of win is playing exploitive, you can't win there with the same strategy you need to make good bluffs with good frecuency, to be aggresive, winning with the red line, and that could be tough for a beginner, i recommend you full tilt, there are tables for only beginners you could win a couple of stacks and recover confidence witch always is good, normal tables are also good less or worse regs than pokerstars in my opinion.

regards.
    • RexCalculex
      RexCalculex
      Bronze
      Thanks again everyone. I will take it all into consideration. Getting a second account is probably a good idea. I tried at Full tilt once but I got randomly selected for a security check and they wanted me to fax my credit card and ID etc, Pretty sure it was actually legit and not a scam but it seemed like too much effort and i was too lazy. Have any of you had to do this before? It is safe right?

A German friend of mine managed to turn his 50$ free roll into 10,000$ in about 6 month when he tried this years ago and that story has probably skewed my perception/expectation a bit. Apart from the fact that he was a very sharp character (i met him at uni when he was doing his PHD in laser physics) im guessing its just become harder in general to move so fast because of things like black Friday and so many people using sites like this to at least cover the basics.

In any case I will Push on with it and I'll let you all know how it goes
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey RexCalculex,

Asking for I.D. checks is a standard practice. Generally it's not required until you request a withdrawal although occasionally people have to provide I.D. before they can actually play.

I have never been asked for an I.D. check mainly because I have never requested a withdrawal. Damn, I'm such a fish :f_cry:

Cheers :f_drink:

Laz
    • TheMarxBros3
      TheMarxBros3
      Bronze
      A lot of sites ask or I.D. especially on cash outs.
      I have been asked in the past by Stars, P.K.R. Everest and the old pokerroom.
      It is their way of trying to comply with the law and also stop multi-accounting.
      Think of it as a good thing. It means you are winning!!!!!!!!