What is Poker? -HunnyShark's Poker Blog

• jjhunnybunsz
      jjhunnybunsz
      Bronze
      What is Poker?

:]
      Well, I figured I’d start my blog off with a cheesy question… And yet a very deep question that when given some thought actually has many answers.

Whatever poker means to you, I’d like to hear what you have to say!

It certainly is not simply just a game afterall. With all of the strategic and careful plays you need to consider while dealt into a hand, you must also be able to get inside your opponent’s head.

I am a big fan of the trickery used by some players. Being able to deceive another human being is sure to raise one’s self esteem.

So what do you think? Is poker more about gambling or about how you play? :s_pleased:

[Edited by Harrier88]
  • 4 replies
    • jjhunnybunsz
      jjhunnybunsz
      Bronze
      Played a few tournaments on PokerStars with not a lot of patience. I really just need to take a deep breath and focus. I think that is some of the best advice I could give to you. Relaxation is one of the keys to being able to focus and make strategic decisions.

Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend! Back to work tomorrow! :O :( :f_frown:

:f_drink:

[Edited by Harrier88]
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi jjhunnybunsz, welcome to the blogs!

I had to remove some links from your previous posts, as it is against our forum principles to post any kind of personal contact information. I hope you don't mind.

About your question, I think that we can definitely say that poker evolved from a pure form of gambling to a much more strategic game, especially since the advent of online poker. Some people do consider it a sport, after all, even though I think that this is taking it a bit too far.

I once listened to some interviews with grinders from the pre-internet era, and they said that the entire atmosphere of the game is now completely different. For example, absolutely basic stuff like counting outs and calculating odds, that is expected of pretty much every poker player nowadays, was not very common back then and could have given anyone a big edge in the old days.

In recent years, I think the pendulum has also swung from solid ABC tag-poker to a more flexible, slightly laggy style, which can also involve some more deceptive and opponent-specific moves than before.

Happy Easter to you as well!
    • jjhunnybunsz
      jjhunnybunsz
      Bronze
      Oh that's alright! My fault. :P

My problem is that I never play the same... And I should stick to a certain way of playing. I think I lose when I switch up my style. Not that I always won before, but I wanna get back into playing poker.

I know how to play and what are dos and donts but I am a woman with very challenged mood stabilizers! Lol

I used to play on party poker years ago. That was cool but not even close to as intricate and extensive as the pokerstars software.

😆
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Well, switching your style is not necessarily bad in itself, as long as you know what you're doing. I think I lost quite a bit of money last year when I was trying to imitate a more laggy style of playing, without really knowing how to make it work.

But that's what makes poker so interesting. In many situations, there is no single "right" way of playing, and different playing styles can be profitable.