Books of FLH?

• 8 replies
      Bronze
      there aren't really all that many new FL books.. most of them are old and the play they advocate is not the style I think is most profitable these days. times change the games and playstyles
    • SonOfSonOfSpock
      SonOfSonOfSpock
      Bronze
      To expand knowledge, like Avataren said might be hard to find, but the bible is SSHE.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      There's stuff about the game that is independent of fashion. Sklansky's The theory of poker is definitely required reading in Poker 101. That said, the game has changed, and some of the old advice applies mostly to full-ring games (e.g. "buying a free card"), and much is devoted to exploitative play (e.g. "if you think that...") . (GTO is covered though for bluffing and bluff-catching on the river.) This is a good thing since everything nowadays only circles around GTO, which is a pretty bad strategy to apply at the micros if you have any kind of skill at this game and already are winning.
    • jmunger
      jmunger
      Silver
      Google - Collection of various Shorthanded Limit Hold'em articles....
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Agreed to everything that was said here.

But still think that books have some value. Now that I'm playing the micros I can see that most of the guys are still playing the "old" TAGish game. Lots of players are even nittier than that. So if you learn from the books you can still be at least on the par with them. But if you update your game, it's gonna make a big difference I think.

How do you update your game? That's a good question, because there's not a lot of material out there. I guess reading this forum, start posting hand for evaluation, be active in discussions and you might get there.
    • jmunger
      jmunger
      Silver
      Originally posted by CoreySteel

How do you update your game? That's a good question, because there's not a lot of material out there. I guess reading this forum, start posting hand for evaluation, be active in discussions and you might get there.
      And watch Coreysteel livestreams. My stats of VPIP and PFR raise a little. And so the other stats... If he can, why I´m not? Of course, his post flop is far better then mine, but I´m learning and improving day by day...
    • Garvante
      Garvante
      Bronze
      I'm surprised Philip Newall's "The Intelligent Poker Player" and "Further Limit Hold'em" haven't been mentioned. Those books teach you a lot about today's games although the focus lies on Heads Up and "Further Limit Hold'em" isn't really suitable for beginners - better watch Boomer's videos here on Pokerstrategy first.
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      Ty Garvante, I'll look!