Range to steal and cbet

• wegis
      wegis
      Bronze
      Hey guys, my name is Wegis Silveira, signed up for a while in Pokerstrategy.

I need a help to adjust my range of steal in cash.

Analyzing my stats I realized that despite my percentage of steals not be as high, at times I try to steal with very weak hands. For example, in one hand I tried a steal of BTN with 62o and got BB's call; on board (QAQ) I made the cbet of a half pot and received call. dropped on the turn, of course.

I know the cbet was horrible, but which range steal you advise me? and what better way to make a continuation bet or not?
  • 5 replies
    • pocarr
      pocarr
      Basic
      It is all dependent on the villain imo, you can open an X range vs most players profitably, but will be suboptimal vs players overfolding pre and postflop where we could open an X^2 range profitably. High fold to steal numbers and high fold to flop cbet numbers are essential. low VPIP numbers also help.
    • wegis
      wegis
      Bronze
      Thanks Pocarr. That was very enlighting to me.
      I'll be more attentive to these datails.

Thanks again!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Hey wegis

If you look around this site and others I'm 100% sure you will find some ranges to go by. From the sounds of it you are a beginner, so I hope you are not playing higher than nl2! Even if you have the money for higher limits I strongly suggest that you start on nl2 to learn.

Stealing is a very dynamic decision to make. By that I mean it fully depends on who is in the blinds. In particular, how do they play? Are they loose? or do they snap fold? If they snap fold then you could steal any 2 cards but if they are loose you should tighten up a lot. Any range you find that shows you an open raising range for the button is only a guideline. Generally open raising charts are helpful, but I disagree with them in the BU particularly if all you will do is follow it like religion. You can get away with murder against some people and it will be the best decision to open wide, but the chart won't tell you that.

About your 62o hand, can't say if it was a bad cbet or not because that depends on the board and how villain plays postflop :)

Gl at the tables.
    • pocarr
      pocarr
      Basic
      Agree with dunne. Are you currently using a HUD wegis?
    • wegis
      wegis
      Bronze
      Thanks again guys.

yes, i am using PT4, It help me a lot.
      About the stats and how i use them, i always consult before decisions, including steal and cbet, however i am still learning how to read them with the maximum of precision and in some moments, when i review my hands, appear some doubts about how i could improve my game

abouth the other question, i am playing nl2 currently, in fact, i was playing nl6 and i was doing well. this wasn't anything crazy, because i play better than most players in these limits, although i'm still in lerning process. But last week i lost part of my bankroll in three days tilted. Because of this i decided to play for a while nl2 until i improve my game and mainly learn how to control my tilts, in this way when i'll tilt or to make wrong decisions, the loss will be less.

Thanks again guys.

I appreciate all the help you can give me.