A new idea? Or already thought of? Or stupid?

• Umbrello
      Hi, everyone. I just came up with this. It's like basic poker mixed with trading card games (please don't flame me for this, lol). Maybe it's already been done before but here is all the information:

I'm thinking of calling it Poker Battle, or Battle Poker.

1. Dealer deals out 5 cards to all players. At the start of each turn, players draw cards until they have 5. Of course, this doesn't matter on the first turn.

2. Each turn, a player can do ONE of the following things:
      - discard a DIAMOND card and pick a new card from the top of the deck.
      - discard a SPADE card and pick a card from another person's hand to send to the discard pile.
      - that person can then choose one of their CLUB cards to discard instead of letting the other player choose which card to send to the discard pile.
      - the player discarding the SPADE cannot look at the cards of the player they are attacking.
      - discard a HEART card and take the card that was most previously discarded.
      (all cards in the discard pile are face up, and players should always shuffle their hands after taking a card from the discard pile or from another player)

3. Players can choose to PASS on each turn instead of discarding cards.

4. Players can choose to SHOW their hand at any time. This ends the game for that player. Once everyone has shown their hands the game is over and the best hand wins. If one round goes by where everyone passes and no one shows, then everyone must show and the game is over.

So what do people think? Is this a dumb idea? Or an already thought of idea? Keep in mind, I don't know a whole lot about poker, just what hands beat what.
  • 3 replies
    • DrDunne
      how is that anything to do with poker?
    • Umbrello
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      how is that anything to do with poker?
      Because the hands would be the same (straight, flush, etc.)

Here's an example of some stuff that would happen in the game:

Someone with a really bad poker face looks all happy, so you know they have a good hand.
      Maybe it's a winning hand, but they haven't gotten to their turn yet to show it, so you have time to screw them over. You discard a spade to attack them and discard one of their cards, which ends up ruining their hand. Then someone else with a terrible poker face gets all excited, which means they want the discarded card. So the next person discards a heart so they can take that card and screw the other player who wanted it. You are trying to get the best poker hand you can get, but you also can mess with other players.

Let's say you have a nine, a ten, a jack, a king, and a three of hearts. Someone discards a queen. Keep your poker face on until you can discard a heart, and take that queen, completing a straight. Now the other players know you may be putting a good hand together and might try to attack you.

Let's say you manage to get three aces. Someone attacks you by discarding a spade, and you want to keep your aces, so you discard a five of clubs to protect your aces. The attacking player now knows that you have some good cards, which may cause other players to attack in succession.

I'm just adding the basic idea of card battles to the basic idea of trying to get the best possible poker hand.
    • Rihard4a